“commons hotel hospitality”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Minnesota, USA
“commons hotel hospitality”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I have stayed at the Commons Hotel in Minneapolis, MN out of convenience to where I need to be (University of MN). The front desk is outstanding with helping me with any requests I might have. Very clean hotel with wonderful beds. Have stayed there in the past and will again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
We can't wait to have you back, either! Thank you for sharing your experience. The front desk team was delighted to read your comments. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay even better, please let us know!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
White Earth MN
Reviewed May 7, 2013

A co-worker and I had to stay on campus for a business meeting. We loved our room it was very clean and updated. We got hot because the sun was shining that day for the first time in days and we were on the 8th floor. We had a maintenence man come turn the air on in our room. We got excellent service from him and he was very friendly and helpful. Thanks for the wonderful hospitality while we stayed at your hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms are beautiful and clean.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
I'm glad you enjoyed your stay! I'm sorry you had to have maintenance visit your room, but I am glad you found them to be personable and professional. We enjoyed having you as our guest, and look forward to your return soon!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Commons provided a nice base for my business trip to Minneapolis and St. Paul. It was well-located on the University of Minnesota campus, convenient to the Zipcars I used to get around the city and to public transportation. The hotel rooms and hotel public spaces were very nice. The gym was somewhat limited, but fine. The registration desk was a little hard to find--more of a design issue than anything. I'd stay again for business or personal travel.

David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for your business! Our front desk does have a unique location, but was designed to provide a more intimate arrival experience for our guests. Our lobby, being centrally located to campus, sees a lot of activity! I'm glad you enjoyed your stay, and the team looks forward to welcoming you back soon!
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed May 3, 2013

My daughter and I needed to make a trip to MSP area to assist my older daughter with medical care. The hospital recommended The Commons and what a blessing it was to us in many ways! There can not be enough said of the staff. No matter what we needed or requested it was done and always always with a genuine smile and care. I've been in places that the staff may act and put on a smile as though they care, but the feeling is not genuine. The facility itself is well appointed, well maintained, comfortable, safe, located in a prime area. Between staff and accommodations it is easy to feel at home in a far away place. We were able to save on a rental car by using the light rail system and the shuttle van of the hotel. I was happy I did not try to rent and drive......lots of construction between hotel and hospital so we were very pleased with the shuttle service....each and every driver were fast, efficient, courteous, kind, compassionate, safe, knew the way. The only blips were twice out of 14 trips and those were when I had switched the time to be picked up and they felt awful, but I assured them I was the one at fault. Front desk staff are wonderful as well...answering questions, giving directions, printing maps, warming our leftovers, being discreet over my credit card not going through....I had an outdated one and so they remedied it by accepting the card info from my husband at home. We utilized the computer room as well and were able to communicate en masse with family via emails as to progress and print out our boarding passes. The beds were the best hotel beds I have ever slept in, awesome pillows and love that there are four to a bed! Loved the towels! Loved the firepits in front and in lobby! Loved the photography and room number plates!!! I finally noticed those my last day....very clever! Y'all made a difficult time much more bearable in every single way! The only negative we could find was the room was too warm our first night, the next they sent a mechanic and it was nice and cool the second night, then warm again but it was ok because it rained/snowed and was cold outside. Hopefully if we have the opportunity to come back, the temp issue will be fixed, as I've heard and read it several times. Please give our praises to the staff, especially front desk all shifts and all shuttle drivers!!!! They made a great first impression. Thank you again!!! Oh and I almost forgot .....LOVE being in the middle of the university campus.....walkers out at all times, very pedestrian friendly makes it a delight to walk to nearby CVS, bagels, smoothies, coffee, and two restaurants attached!!! Total convenience!

Room Tip: I don't have anything to compare it to we were only in one room, but we were on 6th floor nice a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your experience! I am so glad you noticed some of the cool details we built into this property. We are all about exploring the common desire to discover by sharing a unique hotel experience with our guests. Our staff would be delighted to point out some more unique details and history of the property during your next visit! We hope to see you back soon!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 29, 2013

During a 3-day conference held at the commons Hotel, the location, staff and refreshments/food were outstanding. A few comments from conference attendees 'I am highly recommending The Commons to anyone traveling through Minneapolis.' and 'Hotel was the best feature, very accommodating hospitable staff, excellent rooms and venues, food service and restaurant was wonderful.' We are looking forward to working with the Commons Hotel for years to come!

David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Wow. Thank you for your review, and for taking the time to recognize the wonderful team we have here. Guests like you make our job worthwhile. We look forward to your next visit with us. If there is anything we can do to make your next stay even more enjoyable, please let me know. See you soon!
Nebraska
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I must have come in after the renovation, as I did not experience any of the construction that earlier reviewers mention. The front desk folks, regardless of time of day or who was on shift, were consistently awesome. Keep up the great work!
Good fitness room. Very welcoming entry /lounge area. Room was well appointed, nice bathroom sink, but think the "rainfall" shower advertised is perhaps a stretch. It is a rain head permanently affixed to a short pipe giving a limited rain effect, but not a big deal. Our air conditioning was not really effective, not sure if it was the unit or the fact that it was the first warm day Minneapolis has had in 2013. Overall a great stay and if you are visiting the University of Minnesota, you cannot beat the location on campus! I will be back!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel! I have passed on your comments to the front desk team, and they were honored to read them. Our air conditioning system has been turned on now, so on your next visit, you can escape the Minnesota heat! We hope to see you back soon!
atlanta,ga
Reviewed April 28, 2013

First let's start with the good. Beautiful place. This hotel was redone and the decor in the lobby and your room is "wow". What else is great is a full service Starbucks store that stays open until midnight. You will also like the fact that also have Appleby's attached too.

Hopefully you don't mind being around college kids. This hotel sits in the heart of Univ. of Minnesota. You will see lots of students around but the good news is that attracts other business right outside of the hotel such as Jamba Juice and Brueggars Bagels if you just cannot stand Starbucks.

Now where they could improve:
Beautiful flat screen tvs but they don't always work well. It seems there is a buffering issue where cetain programs appear they are being downloaded. Some will not come on at all. This happened a little bit while I was watching my favorite show Scandal. I am an addict to the show so imagine my frustration after a 3 week hiatus and now the screen is locking up!

Cleaning the room-I was scheduled to check out Friday. Came into my room Thursday night and it had not been touched. I never use the "Do not distrurb" sign. I was ticked! I called housekeeping and the front desk. Offers were made to clean the room but I was going to bed in a few hours so why bother. It's just dissappointing when you are traveling for business to walk into a room that does not have clean towels nor where your garbage was emptied. When I am home, I make my bed everyday. To walk into a room where the bed was in made was just disheartening. Oh well.

Good again-Well appointed workout room. Slept well. No issues with the beds at all. The hotel is also in an area where you can walk outside and feel safe.

Caution-Starbucks can get a little crowded at nite because of college study groups. Might be good just to get your stuff to go and enjoy in your room. During the morning rush, it's not too bad.

I will be visiting them again because the client wants our group to stay here since they have a preferred rate. Hope they at least clean my room during the entire stay next time.

David K, Manager at The Commons Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
I hope you give our property another shot at making it your home away from home in Minneapolis. We are addressing the television issues with our provider to make sure that doesn't happen again. By your next visit, you should see some exciting upgrades on the system, including the ability to order room service right through your TV! We hope to see you again soon!