“One of the better ones in that price range”

Minneapolis Marriott City Center
Ranked #22 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Chicago, Illinois
“One of the better ones in that price range”
Reviewed February 24, 2010

at $100 / night i would not expect a better service or status.

Stayed February 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 22, 2010

This was my second visit to this bar before a Timberwolves basketball game. The first time (October/2009) I was with a friend and we arrived at 5 PM for drinks and appetizers. We had slow service with a bar that was not even 25% occupied and the waitress was surly and had a hard time getting our bill correct. Even after this experience, I decided to give the Marriott another try. I am a Platinum Marriott Rewards memeber, and my husband is Gold MR, so we like to give Marriott business whenever we can (and earn points on the credit card!). However, after Friday's experience, I will never go to this Marriott again. We arrrived to a bar that was pretty full, due to a convention in town. We seated oursevlves at one of the "family style" hig top tables and waited for ten minutes trying to catch someone's eyes. I finally chased down one of the two bartenders and placed our drink orders. I also asked to see a menu. He told me I would need to talk to a waitress, so approached two wattress (one the surly one from my October visit) and asked for the menu. The surly one walked away from me without answering and the other one just pointed to the bar and walked away, making me figure out where they hid the menus. After deciding what to order, we waited another ten minutes and watched the waitress deliver drinks to the end of our table but never make eye contact with anyone else at the table. Finally, I placed my order with the bartender, who told me he'd have to give it one of the waitresses. We finally got our drinks delivered to us (it has now been 25 minutes since we arrived). The waitress did not even acknowledge that we had ordered food, just thumped our drinks on the table. After finishising our drinks, we waited about 30 minutes, by this time, only 15 minutes left before game tip-off. Still no food, so I again stopped the waitress and asked about the order. She said she would check, and then disappared for 5 minutes. I had to go to the drink stand and ask and she told me it would be 5 more minutes! I told her to cancel the order and just give us the bill. She said she would bring the bill over and I told her that I would wait for it, as there had not been much success in having her bring anything to us the whole evening. I aslo asked to speak to the manager - she surprising told me the woman who had heard this whole exchange and walked away WAS the manager. The manager came over about 3 minutes later and said the food would be another 3 minutes and told us that the average wait for food is 40 minutes! I informed her we had already cancelled the food order and told her it was ridiculas that bar food should take 40 minutes. If Marriott truly can not get food out before 40 minutes, they should not even serve it in the bar. I also told her that the waitresses need to tell patrons that the food will take that long so customers have the option to go somewhere else where they can get served in a reasonable time. I also informed her that I was a Platinum member, although I told her that it probably did not matter to her being the restaurant manager. She then surprisingly told me she was the Front Desk Manager. I then paid my bill and asked her to make change. She brought my $20 back (drinks on the house), and left wihtout saying a word!

This seems to be systemic problem at Marriott's bar. The service is just horrible and the staff (bartender, waitress, manager) do not appear to be trained on how to effecitvely work a room or handle customer complaints. Why would the manager not bother to even find out my name? Why would she just give me back the $20 without saying another word?

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MarilynMonroe97
South Wales, UK
Reviewed February 4, 2010

We made our first trip to the States in June 2008 and this was a really great hotel with excellent service, lovely large spacious rooms and right in the city centre.

We were staying in Minneapolis to co-incide with Prince's 50th birthday, and as huge Prince fans, were delighted to find our room looked out onto First Avenue, the location for much of the film Purple Rain! It's a must stay if you're a Prince fan, but is also centrally located with some great restaurants locally, and excellent service from the staff.

Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HTJ74
Washington DC
Reviewed January 31, 2010

Overall a standard Marriott property. The great difference is the staff goes out of their way to provide for the comfort of their guest. Many recommended great places to eat accessible on the skyway system. Only drawback is if you want a quick breakfast in the hotel it is expensive!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
chicago illinois
Reviewed January 16, 2010

One night stay in downtown Minneapolis in the dead of winter - need I say more? The hotel is nice, but getting to it from the self park garage somewhat confusing and a chore. Upgraded, however to a corner suite, beautiful spacious room. All of the amenities one would expect at a Marriott. Decor was nice, but similiar to many other Marriotts, needs to be refreshed. Room was very clean. Nice lounge. Small workout room that had both cardio, as well as weight machines with a small locker room that was more than adequate. This was a quick stop, pleasant, but aside from the very nice upgraded room, certainly was not amongst the best in either environment or service.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Salt Lake City
Reviewed December 6, 2009

I got to the hotel taking the light rail line and walking a couple of blocks--less than $2. Typical for this part of the world, a perfect stranger noticed me looking at street signs and pointed me in the right direction. Check in on the 4th floor was easy. My room was on one of the upper floors. The building is interesting because the cross sections are triangles. My room had a great view out over the city. It was very quiet. Maybe because of the triangle motif, my room seemed more spacious than normal with plenty of room around the king bed. There was a desk, couple of chairs, plenty of easy to control lights and reasonably priced internet access. There was a safe in the room. The bath was spacious and bright. The carpet was kind to tired feet, and the linens and towels were plush. It was very nice that the hotel was connected to a branch of the skyway. The walk to the convention center was about 25 minutes indoors and about 20 outside where the temperature was cold at night. I would definitely stay here again in the future.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Wisconsin
Reviewed November 26, 2009

Stayed here for a job interview in the city. I was in a suite on a high floor and had an awesome view. My room was on a corner of the building (it has a triangular shape) so two sides of my 3-sided room were wall to wall windows with a sweeping panoramic view of downtown Minneapolis. The bed was extremely comfortable, room had a flat screen television with many channels, also had a small seating area with a chair and pullout couch. Internet was pretty quick and had a nice desk/workstation to use. The lobby and bar area was very trendy. My only complaint was parking. You had to park in an attached structure. Take one elevator to the ground floor from there, then take an elevator from the ground floor to the lobby, then a third elevator from the lobby to your room. A lot of schlepping around but honestly a minor inconvenience for such a nice property.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business