Minneapolis Marriott City Center
Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites(Minneapolis)(Great Value!)
$178
  • Pool
Hyatt Regency Minneapolis(Minneapolis)(Great Value!)
$158
$149
  • Pool
Crowne Plaza Northstar(Minneapolis)(Great Value!)
$110
Hotels.com
Nicollet Island Inn(Minneapolis)
$209
$195
$175
  • Room Service
The Hotel Minneapolis, Autograph Collection(Minneapolis)(Great Value!)
$143
$100
  • Room Service
Hyatt Place Minneapolis/Downtown(Minneapolis)(Great Value!)
$148
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
Snelling Motel(Minneapolis)
$90
All reviewsm clubfifth floorstreet leveltarget centerthe concierge loungeparking garagebreakfast buffetlight railnicollet mallcorner roomhigh floorlocation is greatup to datetwins gamewater pressurelobby areafitness center
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 19, 2009

With relatives in Minneapolis, we've stayed in plenty of "upscale" downtown hotels. The Marriott City Center, by far, is the worst.
Chronologically:
1) Getting to the lobby is exhausting. Check-in is on the fifth level. We're guessing it was moved upstairs for security reasons, but this creates a disorienting labyrinth of parking-garage levels, elevators, more elevators, and hidden entries. (Lesson One: It doesn't help to park on the fifth floor of the garage; you still have to go down, across and up to get to the lobby.)
2) The path to the lobby is bleak. Schlepping all your luggage from parking to check-in, you have to plod through the ground-floor level of City Center, a largely vacant, eerie space that was actually caged off when we arrived. It looked as if we'd just missed the nuclear-evacuation alarm.
3) The check-in clerk was rude. Told a relative had made our reservation, the clerk said he had no way to "trust" I was really her relative. Forget the fact that we have the same last name. It wasn't until I produced my husband's credit card that his trust level rose enough to check the computer. Then, in a snooty tone, he asked whether we were there for a big family celebration. Not quite. We were in town for a memorial service. After a uncomfortable moment, the clerk mumbled something about munching on his foot, and handed us our keys.
4) Our room smelled like moldy feet. When we opened the door to our room, on the 25th floor, we were hit with a stinky cloud of stale mildew. We called down to ask about a new room, and a helpful customer-service agent promptly delivered new keys. Our new room smelled less toxic, with a hint of cheap carpet deodorizer -- until we got back from dinner that night, and the deodorizer had worn off. The window wouldn't open and the air wouldn't circulate, but we were exhausted, so we crept into bed. It was like sleeping in an airtight locker room from the 1950s.
5) The breakfast buffet merely looked like moldy feet. OK -- maybe not that bad, but the eggs were cold as ice, the bread was so hard there was no point in toasting it, and my niece had to wait more than 15 minutes for someone to find her a bowl. Thankfully, breakfast for two was included in the moldy-feet room fee.
6) The "Starbucks" in the lobby isn't. There's a big Starbucks sign over the gift/snack shop. There is absolutely nothing Starbuck-y about it, except for two Thermoses filled with brewed coffee. The real Starbucks is downstairs, in the gloomy City Center, where they make you buy a drink before they'll let your kid use the bathroom. Nice.
Behind the rant: I am normally a happy traveler and have never written a negative review, but this place, especially under the circumstances, really rubbed us the wrong way. On the plus side, though: the big, square pillows were very comfy; the odd octagonal floorplan was fun to try to navigate; and the actual mold on the shower curtain was limited to, oh, just 5 or 6 blobs.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Tripster06
Reviewed April 5, 2009

I was at the Marriot for 4 nights for a conference held at the hotel in a king room on the 9th floor.

pros: location is great--easy walk from the light rail stop on Nicolette Mall. lots of restaurant choices within walking distance due to the skyways. bedding was comfortable. room was small but layed out well. nice business center with three computers and a copier, plus a seperate computer for boarding pass print-out.

cons: even 9 floors up, the street noise was horrible. I'm not a light sleeper but was awakened several times Friday and Saturday nights from people yelling, honking, etc. The people in the next room were talking at what seemed to be a fairly normal level but I could hear it as clear as day in my room. There's no point in all the cushy stuff if you still can't sleep! My shower handle broke on the third day--they were apologetic and did get it fixed but my schedule forced me to go without showering that day (great). I ordered room service and when I asked where the service/tip had been included on the room charge slip, the server's response was "We have to share everything" which a) wasn't subtle and b) didn't answer the question. There was also a duplicate breakfast menu that I found just at the edge underneath the bed, implying (to me) that the thoroughness of the vacuuming might be slightly questionable. Some of the towels were also starting to fray.

The summary is that this wasn't worth what I paid for it (161/night w/ tax). I am aware that you pay for location but have paid less for nicer hotels in more expensive cities than Minneapolis. I've done quite a bit of travel overseas and have stayed in some less-than-ideal hotel situations without having any issue with them, but I feel like if you are paying this much per night then the details matter and some of the above things shouldn't have been an issue.

I looked at earlier reviews and am not sure where people needed the third elevator to get to their rooms, but you do definitely take two. It's a little bit of a pain but does provide increased security.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank tellana1
Reviewed March 29, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the merriott for a conferance expecting it to be top class because it's a merriott, to my surprise it wasnt.  The way that they have it set up is very difficult.  The elevator system was redicuals, we must have got lost 10 times trying to find the place.  I would suggest that they label things better in the hotels and the nicollett mall for the people who are out of town and they dont know where anything is located.  The rooms were ok, great veiw of the city and very comfortable beds,  the remote stoped working serveral times, and when we tried to order a movie it also would'nt work.  If i had to some it up,  if the conferance wasnt being held there i would have stayed somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank kfanth
Reviewed February 24, 2009

We stayed here after the Bon Jovi concert (05, not 06). Never again!! It was totally overpriced for a small two-bedded room when I clearly booked a King. The location is great but the staff were unfriendly and we definitely didn't feel as though we got what we paid for. If we have another downtown Minni event that we drive in for, we'll stay outside the downtown and just take a cab - same price but at least we won't feel totally robbed.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dreamingofgreece
Reviewed February 23, 2009

The hotel was nice and centrally located. However, it takes 3 separate elevators to get to your hotel room from your car. Parking is expensive. If you stay on a Sunday you are stuck until noon (in the winter) because the skywalk doesn't open until then. This was nothing memorable and I've stayed at better places with better rates....will most likely not return.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple