“Great location, excellent view from room” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Minneapolis Marriott City Center

Minneapolis Marriott City Center
Ranked #17 of 50 Hotels in Minneapolis
Omaha, Nebraska, USA
“Great location, excellent view from room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Super friendly staff, great location, excellent view from my room - king corner view. Wish there would have been a fridge in my room. But the room was large and the bed was comfortable. The only slight negatives would be a charge for wifi in my room. The extra blanket was more like a burlap sack. It was very old, itchy and didn't provide any warmth. Also, the breakfast was very pricey. But overall the stay was great and the staff was very friendly.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Kurtboerner, Manager at Minneapolis Marriott City Center, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Dear Sharon Y,

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your corner room; these are one of our more popular rooms in the hotel.

I appreciate the feedback regarding the condition of the extra blanket in your room; we have replaced about 90% of these in the hotel. I apologize this was not the case with your room. Please let us know if you returning and we will ensure that you have a new blanket on your bed.

Marriott Minneapolis City Center Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

I stayed here on a business trip for about five nights. Fabulous hotel in the city center. Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Rooms are clean, well-maintained. Bed was very comfortable. The conference area is one of the best I have seen. Being a vegetarian, I had challenges with the food, as virtually nothing was suitable for me.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Kurtboerner, Manager at Minneapolis Marriott City Center, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear PradyumnSharma,

Thank you very much for your comments regarding our hotel staff and conference space. The positive feedback from our guests is always appreciated by our hosts in the hotel.

We do offer vegetarian options on our menus and our culinary team loves to create special meals to meet our guest’s dietary needs. These options are available in both the restaurant and banquets areas. I hope that if you have a chance to visit us again, we can provide you more food options to make your next stay even better.

Kurt Boerner
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Was here on business and stayed 3 nights. Bed was super comfy and conducive to a good night's sleep which is important to me when traveling away from home. Staff was nice. However 2 issues and that's why I'm giving it a 3 rather than a 4 - traveled from the airport by train and the front desk person didn't know how long it took from the airport to the hotel by train, how much the train cost, and how to get to the hotel from the train stop. When I looked it up online, she told me to walk north and it's a couple blocks away (which was not the case since it's more like 7 blocks and I had to ask a bunch of people on the street.) How is it possible someone answering the phone doesn't know that information! Someone not familiar with the city will obviously not know north from south, east from west! Problem #2 - I called the concierge to make dinner reservations for me. He said he would and I asked him to call me back to confirm the time. After 45 minutes and no phone call, I went down to the desk to find the individual talking with another hotel employee and DIDN'T EVEN CALL THE RESTAURANT! When I asked him about the reservation, he said he needed to call. Not great service to say the least!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Simbarella
Kurtboerner, Manager at Minneapolis Marriott City Center, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Simbarella,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I was glad to hear that you had a good night’s sleep. We do receive many comments on how comfortable our beds are.

I was disappointed to hear about your interactions with our staff. Our goal is to provide our guests with excellent guest service and this was not the case with your experience. By providing your feedback, we will go back to our hosts (associates) and put more focus on these areas.

If you would like to speak with me further regarding your stay please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kurt Boerner
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Recently had a girls' weekend in Minneapolis and wanted to stay downtown. It was a great location and it was nice having the parking garage right next to the hotel. However, getting to and from the parking ramp from the hotel took some getting used to. The staff were friendly and the room was nice and clean.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Kurtboerner, General Manager at Minneapolis Marriott City Center, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words. Being in the heart of downtown we are a very popular hotel for "getaway weekends" and obviously wedding groups and other celebratory occasions. I am glad you enjoyed yourselves. Thank you for your remarks about the staff, I am so proud of them, they are a very caring and proud team of professionals who genuinely want our guests to feel welcomed and appreciated. Your kind words will only reinforce our determination to be the most caring and friendly Hosts in the city.
philadelphia, pa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is an average hotel with no frills, but clean and comfortable. Right now, there is construction on the block, so on windy days, watch out for the dust. The hotel is accessible by a short walk from the train from the airport and connects to the rest of the city through the walkways. For runners, there is a trail less than a half mile away. This is also a bike-friendly city.
Unfortunately, during my stay, the air conditioning system was not working and had to change rooms in the evening after unpacking. The first new room did not receive maid service, so I was upgraded to a suite. It was inconvenient, but the staff accommodated appropriately.
Overall, a decent hotel worth $150 or less per night.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
Thank you very much for your feedback. The construction that you mention is very temporary as we are putting in a new sidewalk to the hotel, which is just an upgrade of the existing surface. It will greatly enhance the arrival for our guests . Just another two weeks and it will be all done. The ppearnce from the street right now is not good, but honestly with two sets of doors at the entrance we have been able to cope very well but assigning extra staff to this area.
I am very sorry about the a/c in your first room, whenever we have an incident like that we put the room out of service and have our maintenance team and do a thorough repair. I am glad that you were satisfied with the resolution and how we handled it. We want our valued guests to know that if we fall short of expectations they can rely upon us to care and react immediately.
Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to help us be even better.
Hong Kong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed at this hotel during a business trip to Minneapolis. I travel to Minneapolis fairly regularly (1-2 times per year) and have stayed at a number of different hotels around town. The location of the hotel is probably its biggest selling point as its right in downtown Minneapolis, within a short walking distance to most office buildings, as well as to the sports stadiums and nearby restaurants. My entire experience from start to finish was completely average. Also, while it's not that I particularly need the service, I found it strange that there was no staff stationed on at the street-level entrance when I arrived to greet you or to handle your bags. The lobby and room decor is sterile, feels dated and lacks any personality. They seem to do just enough to meet whatever standard they need to meet, but nothing more. This is the type of hotel stay and business trip that make you want to get home sooner rather than later.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
Thank you very much for your comments. First off, I would like to thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, we very much appreciate your feedback. I do aplogize that there was nobody at the door to greet you, and dissappointed as well. We have a doormen on duty every day from early in the morning until 11 pm at night and we always have at least one valet on duty 24 hours a day (usually two or three during the day and evening). Perhaps at the time of arrival the doorman was helping another guest and had gone to the lobby and the valets had gone to retrieve cars. I will remind them to call someone else on staff to replace them so that we always have a presence.
All in all, I think you will notice that our guests often remark on how friendly and caring our staff is and I know that we will all try even harder to make our guests stay memorable for the right reasons.
Again, thank you for your feedback.
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

I suppose that this a perfectly functional hotel, but I would never think about staying there if I didn't have to. First, the good points. The staff was very, very nice and helpful and my room was relatively quiet, especially considering the shenanigans going on at the hotel that weekend (something about zombies).

Still, there is nothing at all memorable about the building or layout. The food was ordinary (although my scrambled eggs in the restaurant were very good), and the navigation of escalators and elevators grew tiresome. I'd like to see what else Minneapolis has to offer.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Kurtboerner, General Manager at Minneapolis Marriott City Center, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Thank you very much for your comments. First and foremost, thank you so much for your kind comments regarding our Hosts (employess). We are very fortunate to have such dedicated, loyal and caring professionals working here.
Yes it is true, you do have to take an elevator from our street lobby to the 5th floor lobby. Of course that is not everybodys cup of tea but it does help keep the hotel somewhat private for our guests and of course creates a nice safe and secure atmosphere. Obviously the escalators are only needed if you are travelling from the lobby to our meeting rooms and ballroom, but they really do help get people around a lot quicker.
Again, I am thrilled to read your comments about the staff and thank you very much for staying with us.