“Close to Target Center”

Minneapolis Marriott City Center
Ranked #25 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for the night of the Tom Petty concert. The hotels 2 blocks from the Target Center and we got a weekend rate for the room and breakfast the next morning at a rate of $159. Considering the hotel's location and that the breakfast the next day was a buffet with cook to orde rollers I'd say we got a great deal.

We had a corner room at wasn't huge but the bed was comfortable. One thing I noticed and liked was that the doors to the rooms closed quietly. These doors are set up to close automatically when you walk out but rather than hear a WHAM of the door it closed very quietly. This might sound like an odd observation but for a light sleeper I wasn't awaken by people in near by rooms coming and going.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 30, 2013

We loved this hotel! Location is great. Very close to Target Field and Target Center. The staff was amazing! The rooms were large, comfortable and clean. Prices were very fair for the level of service.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Came to the city for a concert, booked the hotel over the phone with credit card, when we arrived hotel staff were not helpful or polite, asked for hotel to be paid in full before even checking into our room. When we arrived in our room there were crackers on the window and our phone wouldn't dial local calls. Hotel staff were 50 % nice and 50 % complete ignorance.Restaurant has awesome breakfast buffet and amazing supper, restaurant staff very friendly, defiantly made up for the lack of compassion in other areas of hotel staff. Very close to concert and other city centers and not bad price but not worth the headache. Will not be staying here again, but may come back for the buffet.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 222Chelsea
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Great location, easy parking, lots to do in the area, very nice staff, excellent concierge lounge, very comfortable room overlooking the ballpark. What more can I say? I had a thoroughly enjoyable stay! Well done, Marriott.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank woozel
Reviewed June 23, 2013

This is a great Marriott at a great location with great staff.
The hotel is as you expect from any Marriott. What made this a bit different than other Marriott's is the great attitude and demeanor of the staff.
With respect to location, the Nicolette mall is right downstairs with a wide selection of restaurant's and bars.
Overall couldn't have asked for anything better. Good Job.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank ArizonaFlyer
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I stayed here 2 nights as part of a long road trip with a large tour group. Our room assigned ended up being a handicapped accessible room, which means it was extra spacious! I loved it! (I am seriously considering requesting a handicapped accessible room from now on). The hotel has 31 floors. We were on floor 11 which was considered a "lower" floor. People staying above floor 25 had to scan their cards for access.

PROS:
1. This hotel is located in the heart of downtown with easy access to everything.
2. Only a 2 block walk to the Target Center arena (which we did)
3. Only a 3 block walk to see a Twins baseball game at Target Field (which we did).
4. Next to the Thursday market street and attached to all of the many malls and sky-ways.
5. A short 1 mile jog to the riverfront and to enjoy all the bridges and trails (which I did)
6. Beautifully appointed rooms, comfortable, clean, quiet, 100% classy
7. Fabulous dining and catering services (best catered food ever, and they have delicious steel cut oats for breakfast)
8. Beautiful views
9. Excellent staff that were always very helpful and attentive (when found)

CONS:
1. Not located in a safe neighborhood, and especially not safe at night.
This probably holds true to anywhere in downtown Minneapolis. It is simply not a safe city - especially at night. Period. You MUST be careful. We witnessed two major arrests and a brawl just walking 2 blocks to the Target Store and back again after 10:00 PM. I felt very unsafe and it was very unnerving! One man in our group was physically accosted by a street beggar after walking 2 blocks from the hotel by himself. Our tour leaders urged us NEVER to go out alone especially at night.
2. The city bus stop is located near the entrance to this hotel. This is a CON as it means the sidewalk is always filled with people, mainly low-lifes and smokers that you have to continually walk through in order to go anywhere. We witnessed one man standing with his pants down fully exposing himself in broad daylight. Truly disgusting!
3. Awkward access.
After entering the revolving doors from the street, you must take an elevator to the 4th floor in order to reach the Front Desk and Lobby area, and then you must take a different set of elevators to reach the rooms. I've decided this is designed as a security effort.
4. Empty After Hours
I was up late one night working in the lobby on my laptop (to take advantage of the free Wi-Fi). I had completely lost track of time. At about 2:30 am I was interrupted and approached by a young lady and her gentleman friend (who had obviously had way too much to drink). They had come in off of the street and wanted to get a room for the night. I motioned them toward the Front Desk, but then realized there WAS NO ONE at the front desk, and in fact, the front desk was completely shut down. During the day, it shines a "Front Desk" projection on the wall, but now it was turned off, and the area was closed up. There was no one around. At all. Anywhere. It was very eerie. The girl complained and said 'Hey, I thought all hotels were always 24 hour!" I had to agree with her. Aren't they?!? It was simply creepy to realize I had been sitting there in a completely empty, closed-up lobby. Eventually, she was able to locate a person down the hall. I don't know what was discussed, but the girl and the guy left without getting a room. Once again, I was sitting there all alone and I suddenly felt unsafe and went back to my room.

I don't know what this hotel charges since it was part of my tour package. I imagine that it must be a bit pricey because it is a very nice hotel. If you have to stay in downtown Minneapolis, I can't think of a nicer place and I would highly recommend it. Just be careful. It's a jungle out there.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Hollyday66
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I had to attend a 4 day training conference in Mpls this week which is only 25 miles from my home. But because of the grueling schedule it was advised that I stay at the hotel instead of commute. As I travel fairly extensively for business, I was definitely NOT looking forward being away from my own bed. But I must say that while the conference was extremely grueling, the hotel and its staff were some of the best I have ever experience. The room was clean and comfortable and every single employee that I encountered were pleasant, engaging and truly provided comfort and relief from the stress and strain of the conference. I have been to many Marriotts around the country and this one stands out from all of them. It's a shame I can't take them with me when I have travel away from home. Great job!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business