“Lives up to expectations”

Minneapolis Marriott City Center
Ranked #23 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
“Lives up to expectations”
Reviewed December 3, 2012

At check in at 10:30 Thursday evening, November 29, the person checking me in did an excellent job. Right away she noticed that my first night was my 50th night in 2012 qualifying me for Marriott Rewards Gold status. Being new to Gold status, she proceeded to tell me that the status opened many things for me, the first of which being the concierge lounge and its free breakfast the next morning. And since this was my first stay at the hotel in more than 8 years she then proceeded to personally show me around the entire lobby area, walking by and pointing out the Minneapolis Skyway elevators, the elevators to the guest rooms and where in the lobby bar I could get the best internet reception that evening. She really didn't need to do any of this. It started out my stay on a very high level and the balance of the three night stay did not disappoint. I only wish I had taken down her name so I could pass it on to her supervisors telling them of her excellent service and the job she did last Thursday night.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed November 25, 2012

If you like the NY Marriott Marque, maybe you will like this hotel. It is the other hotel I abhor for the horrible elevator service. Rooms are very typical. I generally like Marriott rooms. Beds are comfortable , Bathrooms are nice, but I don't like taking a shower in the tub - oh well - typical Marriott. Concierge Lounge is pretty nice and exercise facilities are good.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
U.S.
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed in a two-level room in a corner, which was very unique. It was on the top floor 31/32, so the view was excellent. The concierge lounge was easily above average, though closed on weekends. A strength is the staff, who are generally very polished and friendly (especially the doorman). There are plenty of restaurants nearby, although a large percentage are closed on the weekends.

The hotel is on the skyway, which is very convenient in the winter months (if you don't get lost, as I did..numerous times). On the street level is usually a large crowd of people, apparently waiting for the bus to the poorer part of town. The racial mix was odd in that there was little 'mix' in the mix. The person walking with me was scared, though I wasn't and I had no problems, other than zigzagging through a crowd. Anyway, you can just take the skyway if you like.

At present, they appear to be working on the elevators, which caused waits of between 1-10 minutes. They have a sign saying that you should budget in several extra minutes to get downstairs. Warning or not, it's a bit of a (temporary) nuisance. Also, whenever the heating came on, there was a noticeable pop/hiss that startled me a few times. So there were a few blemishes, but overall it was still a very pleasant stay.

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I stayed at the Marriott City Center for two nights in early November. This was my third time staying at this hotel in the past three years. The hotel itself is very nice. The rooms are comfortable. The staff is great. I had two issues I would point out. First, you need to sign a statement recognizing that this hotel is not for partying... Being a person who enjoys a very quiet hotel this unnerved me a bit and made me wonder if they have a problem with people using the hotel as a partying location. That being said, I have never heard noise from other rooms while staying at this hotel. I did see many groups of young people in the lobby and elevators, but never heard anyone once in my room. My second issue would be the parking. You have to park half a block away and then can walk through an indoor shopping center to get the hotel. Then you take an elevator to the lobby and switch to another set of elevators to get to the rooms. This isn't a huge deal for us because we are young, in good health, and not in a hurry. But it did make me wonder if this would be an issue for some others. I do expect that this is probably a common theme for all the hotels downtown. Overall, I really like this hotel and would definitely return/recommend it. I would stay here again, but only if I wanted to be downtown (due to the hassle/amount of time to get from your car to your room).

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 15, 2012

It is conveniently located in the busy shopping district, the staff was very friendly and helpful, and the bed was great.The breakfast buffet was overpriced but good and the service excellent; luckily there were plenty of other places to eat close to the hotel. I did not have an issue with the elevators but the pillows were too soft and drove me nuts. Otherwise, I would recommend this hotel and would certainty revisits!!

Chesterfield, Michigan
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I spent 4 days here for a conference. The rooms are very nice. Clean. Beds were comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The restaurant was very good. The breakfast buffet had a lot of choice include fresh made egg dishes.
The elevator situation is not great, but most high rise hotels when crowded with a conference or two have wait times for elevators. They are currently modernizing the elevator cabs. My wait was never more than two minutes.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevators.
Phoenix
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Upon first look, this hotel looks like it's been updated to modern standards. However, whoever did the update cut a lot of corners. The room on the 12th floor was modern and spacious but the ventilation was outdated and probably hasn't been dusted in 10 years. Additionally, I found a box of half eaten popcorn behind the curtain on the window sill. That along with the chunks of mold in the shower and the noticeable leak in the bathroom ceiling caused me to rate this hotel poor. I think with some TLC, maybe some new housekeepers, this could be a decent property. Until then, stay clear.

Room Tip: Go to a high floor. Why as a Platinum Elite member, I was stuck on the 12th floor is beside me.