“Earplugs, please!”

Ranked #23 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Tampa, Florida
“Earplugs, please!”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

I wish my stay at this Marriott had come with a complimentary pair of ear plugs instead of a complimentary breakfast. The access door between my room and the one next door had about a 1.5" gap under it. As it turns out, that meant for hours without sleep (for me) as I was forced to listen to every offensive noise made by the gentlemen next door and their female "guest." Seriously, I could hear them breathe. Pretty decent hotel, nice lobby, but you should never be able to hear the people in the next room breathing. Wouldn't stay there again because of that experience.

Room Tip: Ask for the quietest room they have, and then get a pair of earplugs on top of it.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank RoxxinTampa
MarriottTeam, Manager at Minneapolis Marriott City Center, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Hello Traveler~ Thank you for sharing your experience at the hotel. We appreciate your feedback regarding noise. We realize that noise does exist and prepare by keeping some extra ear plugs at our front desk. We hope that when your travels find you back in Minneapolis, that you will stay with us again as we would be happy to give you those ear plugs (just in case).
Thank you again for sharing your experience!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Waverly, Minnesota
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Located in downtown Minneapolis, close to shopping, restaurants, entertainment and transportation. Check in and out was quick and friendly, all staff we encountered were helpful, friendly and smiling. Room was very clean, bed comfortable, bathroom was clean and shower was hot and relaxing. We were on one of the top floors and the view was awesome! Definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My wife and I went for a getaway weekend and were very impressed with the Marriott. We checked our car at the door and someone was there right away to help us unload all for our recent shopping trip and have it delivered to our room for us.

The check in process was VERY smooth! We were met by someone right after entering the reception area and they knew we were coming. They knew we checked our car and were ready to get us our keys and on to our weekend.

The room was very nice, especially the bathroom. Everything was clean and new. The restroom had an area to put on make-up for my wife and still extra room for 2 people. Clean bedding and very warm/inviting.

We were on a higher floor and had a great view of the city.

A plus was that the San Fransico 49rs were staying in the same hotel.

Room Tip: Higher rooms the better, and the breakfast option at check in is the way to go.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
MarriottTeam, Manager at Minneapolis Marriott City Center, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Hello happy traveler! Thank you for sharing your wonderful stay with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate you sharing your great experience with our parking service and staff. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again on your next adventure to Minneapolis!
California
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Located in the heart of Minneapolis and is situated close to good restaurants.

Large rooms with great views of downtown. Easy walking distance to local shopping and restaurants. Minutes from the airport and local sporting venues.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Service was great, room was in good condition, good location and the hotel was quiet. On the downside (and some things are under the control of the hotel and some aren't, I guess) the elevators were slow. Yes, they had a sign up suggesting you allow extra time due to the slow elevators under repair. We were there three days, and I never saw or heard anybody working on the elevators. It is clunky how you have to take one set of elevators to the lobby (five flights up) then transfer and walk over to another set of evevators that serve the rooms.

The towels were really old and poor. They reminded me of the towels I used to get in P.E. in high school...you know, the thin ones that smelled a little funny. Only single cup coffee makes, ok, fine, but leave me two pods for the morning? Beds were, so-so. Pillows were nice, and the shampoo etc, very nice. Iron and board worked perfect. and regular hangers, thank you.

You could pay for intenet connection, which is so 2000 and late. Come on guys, I can go to a Hampton Inn ang get free Wifi (or McDonalds, Starbucks, etc.). And to add insult to injury many of us who opted to use 3G found their attempt to get you to sign up for their internet service kept blocking and clogging the other service. And the funny thing, they were hosting an internet commerce meeting when I was there.

The fitness facility was average. I was suprosed by how few people used it. Every time I went there were only one or two other people there. It's in a very small room with a beautiful view of a roof, haha. The machines worked well and there were a variety of types. The water provided was difficult (you remember those pointy cups for the water cooler, well that's what they have) and they did offer hand santizer, but no spray to self-clean the maching grips.

When you go outside, there is a fiar amount of riff-raff hanging right outside the hotel. Don't take a left outside the doors, because 40 yards down near the bus stop are really sketchy people. I actually saw a guy getting circled by a small group of amature hoodlums asking for money. I'm not saying it's dangerous per se, but I was a little surprised to see this downtown right outside the hotel. In fairness to the city, the next day when I went out I saw two cops on bikes on the corner just sitting there staring down the thugs. It apparently is a bus stop that serves lower income neighborhoods, so it must be a constant problem, because it was the only safety issue I saw anywhere in town.

Good business hotel, front desk staff was friendly and efficient, however there is room for improvement with some investments (towels, beds, wifi and a smidgen more coffee)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank DaveD_Nashville
Hello traveler and thank you for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate the feedback on your experience with the internet, room amenities, and outside adventures. We will be sharing your comments with our team members as we consistently focus on improving our guests satisfaction. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon!
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I rode their light rail from the airport (under $2.00 one way) and walked two blocks to the hotel! The hotel is centrally located to restaurants, shopping, etc and the skybridge. The skybridge is great because it's an elevated walkway through some stores, like Macy, and otherwise it's an enclosed glass walkways...great when it's raining or better yet when it snows in Minneapolis. The room was spacious, very clean, and a very quiet AC unit (loved it)!

The only downfall are the walls are pretty thin. And, this has taught me to ask to be far removed from elevators or at least five or six rooms removed. My next door neighbor was pretty loud with a lot of girlfriends and they continued their party past midnight, and I called the front desk twice. When you first arrive they ask you to sign a "no party" waiver, and they obviously didn't ask my next door neighbor to sign one.

Room Tip: If you need quiet to sleep don't stay close to the elevators.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank VickyfromSeattle
Byron
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

I really like to stay at this hotel when I travel to Minneapolis. The location is great, friendly staff, and great location. The only thing I would say is parking is not the greatest, and there always seems to be a wait at the front desk (understaffed).

• Stayed September 2012