“Pleasantly surprised” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto
“Pleasantly surprised”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

I would definitely stay here again. The staff was friendly and fast and the rooms are comfortable and clean. The restaurant has a very interesting menu focused on local ingredients and the food quality was good for a hotel restaurant. Prices were also reasonable. I went to the gym, which was the size of a health club. Tons of cardio equipment, weight machines and dumbells up to 120 lbs. Best hotel gym I've been to.
I had low expectations going in, but was pleasantly surprised by the Hyatt Regency.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mark B, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Minneapolis, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Thank you so much for the great review! I was pleased to learn of your experience in the restaurant as well as the fitness center. Both of these are personal favorites of mine as well! We look forward to your return and appreciate the feedback!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Central New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed here for a conference. The rooms are comfortable, but they are very expensive for what you get. Internet is extra and the cable is mediocre. I didn't eat at the main restaurant, but I did get breakfast at the cafe. It was almost $10 for a bagel or oatmeal and a coffee. The gym is absolutely great though. Parking is a little far for moving a lot of luggage and is a bit expensive too.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mark B, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Minneapolis, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you so much for the feedback, we appreciate you taking the time. We were pleased to hear that you found the room comfortable and disappointed that you found the food and beverage pricing a little high. Hope to see you back in Minneapolis soon!
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

Very clean, quiet hotel. Loved the big bathroom. Beds were comfy. Rooms are tastefully decorated. The restaurant had a delicious breakfast with Amish bacon and free run eggs. All in all a very elegant hotel, close to the Convention Center and Caribou Coffee and Starbuck's. lots of eating places in the near vacinity. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Fairly close to the airport and fairly close to the light rail transit which is very cheap to get to the airport and the Mall of America. My friend and I love the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. Mine was very quiet on the 17th floor and facing west.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mark B, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Minneapolis, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you so much for the great review! I was so pleased to hear that you had a great experience with our team. I am certainly proud of what they do on a daily basis. I have recently moved to Minneapolis and I was so amazed at the quality of independant restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. It makes for a fantastic experience. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!
Langley, BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

This hotel has been completely renovated this year. The bathrooms have a nice spa bath feel to them, and the lobby looks like something you would find at a mountain lodge. I like the look. I also like the vanity area in the bathroom.

I was a little disappointed to see that the sports bar is gone. I liked going there for a casual bite to eat. The new Prairie Kitchen restaurant is nice, and the staff are great, but the dinner menu is kind of limited for a hotel restaurant. Food was however phenomenal, and I ate 3 dinners there.

I also liked the new Market shop, where you can get deli sandwiches, salads and hot entrees to eat at one of the many tables in the lobby or take back to your room.

I had a Regency Club room, which came with a little fridge. It was nice to be able to keep a few snacks around. I found the blanket on the bed too cool, so I called down to guest services and asked if they had any warmer ones. Someone showed up at the room with a down duvet within 5 minutes. I thought that was impressive.

All the staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful, and all took pride in their work, and genuinely enjoyed being helpful. That has not changed since my last visit, as I had the same experience last time also. Everyone has a really good team attitude.

I had the opportunity to use the Regency Club room, and it too has been refreshed. The service and goodies are still as good as ever. Kirk was also most helpful in arranging some of my activities for me during my stay.

I will be back next time I come to Minneapolis.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank LangleyVagabond
Mark B, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Minneapolis, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you so much for the feedback! I was pleased to learn of your experience and glad you found the renovated property enjoyable. We are all very proud of our new home! Come back and see us soon.
Seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

When I checked in, the front desk person was quite helpful. She gave me a room with a nice view of the city skyline and they were also accommodating with a late checkout the next day. She was very informative with information about restaurants and directions as the concierge had already gone home (which seemed a bit odd to me given that it was only about 6:15 in the evening). Another downside is that the gym was only open until 10 pm at night, but it is well equipped with machines, weights and sport courts (although the scale was broken). The hallways and rooms appeared to be partially redone relatively recently. The carpeting was clean and looked new (both in the hallways and in the room) and the bathrooms were a good size and looked recently redone as well. The bathroom had a large vanity and make-up area, but the shower while long, was relatively narrow. The room did have a lovely view of the city. However, the room was a little too dark for my taste with limited lighting options available. Additionally, the doors and some of the furniture hadn’t been redone and did show their wear with a lot of scratches, chips and nicks. Lastly, when I entered my room there was a pile of dirty dishes sitting outside the door. I subsequently went to dinner and returned and they were still there – quite an unattractive site. With respective to amenities, toothpaste, was provided (which is unusual) but not Q-tips, cotton pads/balls or an emery board.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank FrequentTraveler1199
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience! The guest room doors and locks will all be replaced next month as we have a window to complete the work with as little disruption as possible. We are working on keeping the gym open a little later by creating another entrance that wouldn't disrupt the guests on the 6th floor. Dirty Room Service trays are certainly nor acceptable and I will address it with our team. I hope that you will come back and visit soon!
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

The service can be improved. When we arrived, the room we got had a view of a white wall and was right next to the elevator area. We rightfully suspected it would be noisy, so we asked to be moved to a different room. We were moved to a much smaller room. When asked to be moved again, we were given an accessible room, which was in a bad (cleanliness and overall look and smell) shape. We elected to stay in the first room. The speakers announcing the floor and whether the elevator is going up or down were very loud and we could hear them any time of the day and night!!! It interfered with our sleep. One night, a loud laughter woke us after midnight. The fire alarm going off at 3:10 a.m. was of course beyond the staff's control... but considering it was still not quiet until after midnight and the voices and elevators were waking us up around 7 a.m. every morning, it reduced our <7 hr sleep to 5.5 hrs that night.

The service at the Prairie kitchen really depended on the waiter. The first day we had breakfast, a very polite and courteous Russian lady provided excellent service. The following day, an Asian woman served us just terribly! She never greeted us or smiled. She apparently also didn't listen when we said we were only having a continental breakfast because 3 minutes after we sat down, she brought a check for $18. We asked her to correct the amount, which she did. However, she kept coming back every 2-3 minutes until we finished breakfast to check if we already put the money inside! The third time, she tapped on the check several times with her finger indicating that it must be paid. As far as I know, it is acceptable to pay after the meal is finished and the service is finished - isn't that also how the amount of the tip is determined?

The lack of free Wi-Fi in the rooms is probably a norm these days, but considering our friends had a much more pleasant and comfortable stay in a nearby hotel for half the price, which also included complimentary breakfast and free in-room Wi-Fi, we decided not to stay with you again in the future.

A final note - the gym was very nice and was open until 10 p.m. The adjacent pool was only open until 9! There isn't a lifeguard at the pool anyway, why not keep the pool open until 10 p.m. as well?

Room Tip: Don't agree to stay in a room by the elevator area - the talking elevators and people won't...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank EugeneMontreal
Mark B, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Minneapolis, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. I'm obviously disappointed in your experience. and am certainly sharing with the team. I would like the opportunity to discuss with you personally if possible. My direct line is 612.596.4505 if you have an opportunity. Look forward to speaking to you.
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I stayed the weekend at the Hyatt for our anniversary. This was our second stay here, the first after the most recent renovation. The lobby is very nice and the adjoining bar is great. The rooms were very clean with nice features. The bed is more comfortable than my own. The only thing I really didn't care for was that wi-fi access is not included with the basic room package.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Mark B, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Minneapolis, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you for the great review! We are so pleased that you had a great experience and we look forward to your return!