“Spur of the moment trip landed us at the Hyatt!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hyatt Regency Minneapolis
Ranked #14 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersBronze level
Marshalltown
“Spur of the moment trip landed us at the Hyatt!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

My family planned a spur of the moment Labor Day weekend trip to Minneapolis. How lucky we were to find rooms at the Hyatt! My husband and I stayed here about 5 years ago and since then the hotel has been completely remodeled and updated. The lobby is beautiful with a huge fireplace which would have been a great place to sit by and enjoy a drink and conversation had it not been 90+ degrees outside! The rooms were very clean with ample drawers and closet space if you chose to unpack your suitcase. Large flat screen tv and Ipod docking alarm clock were very nice. The room wasn't super huge--be careful for the foot stool in front of the chair at night! My husband got out of bed in the middle of the night, tripped over the footstool and now has a bruise on his hip to remember the weekend by! Needless to say, we moved it out of the way our second night there! The Hyatt is located on the Nicollett mall and is within easy walking distance to many restaurants, bars, shopping and the light rail. We took the light rail to the Mall of America--much easier than getting the car out of the parking garage and driving ourselves! There is a restaurant/bar on site, as well a market type place where you can get coffee, soda, pastries, sandwiches, etc. on the run. Hotel guests have access to the athletic club/gym on the 6th floor that has a pool, treadmills, ellipticals, weights, basketball court, etc. There is not hot tub--a little disappointing, but not a huge deal for us.
All in all, we were very pleased with our Hyatt experience and will definitely stay here again when our travels take us to Minneapolis!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Des Moines, IA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Downtown Minneapolis. the location is really great close to restaurants, a park, entertainment and bars. We went for the Labor day weekend. We chose downtown to get a better feel for Minneapolis other than the MOA. The Hotel itself was recently renovated and was done very well, the lobby is very pretty with natural and cool tones of grays and blacks. We had a king respire room on the 18th floor, it was spacious for two people. It had the king bed that faced the window with a chair and a pullout sofa (full sized) flat screen TV, great desk, however wi-fi is not included which always irritates me.
The bathroom is nice, however, no tub only a shower, but what I liked most is the vanity area. Women will appreciate this.
The hotel also charges a 50.00 hold charge, so be warned, but mine was taken off within 1-2 days, so no worries. the hotel has valet parking but self parking is next door and about 17.00 for overnight vs. the 25.00 for valet. The room itself was very clean, but very cold! No worries we just adjusted the temp. We did not use the pool it was on the sixth floor. The market area is nice and offers coffe and snacks. We ate breakfast at the restaurant and they had a nice assortment of cereals, pastries, muffins, oatmeal and the breakfast stables of eggs, bacon and potatoes. They also had an omelet station where you could have a staffer make you a made to order omelet or eggs. This is not included in the hotel price unless you have it included in your room package. If you do add it you save about 10.00 vs paying about 20.00 per person. Glad we stayed here. One tip I would suggest is adding the rewards program even if you don't use them often, because they have self check in and it saved us from waiting in line to check in for 30 minutes. Don't be afraid to use the kiosk people its very convenient.

Room Tip: Use the kiosk to self check in, but you must be a rewards member!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Winkler, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

First impression was not good, when checking in we were met with a surprise $17 per day extra parking fee. We stayed 3 nights so this was a $50.00 addition.Next we were disappointed with the cleanliness of the room we were given. We found a used wash cloth hanging in the bathroom, a dusty room and very dirty windows, inside and out. We complained and got transferred to a VIP room which wasn't much cleaner.the next surprise was that this hotel does not include free wifi. That would have been another $12 per night.

I would not consider ever staying here again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MikeFroese
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

The recent renovation of the lobby space and rooms has made this very convenient hotel even better, and the rooms are even more comfortable and appealing than they were before. There are still some technical glitches to be worked out in service though. I asked for a room with bath and was given a room with no bath, which they immediately switched, I also found out another person was checked into my room, so that on my return from my business meeting, my keys did not work, and security informed me I had to pack up all my stuff to make way for some ghost guest who was registered in the same room. After that was sorted out, (no ghost guest appeared and I stayed in my room), my keys did not work for the rest of my visit, but that was a minor annoyance, which management was responsive to, and offered some points in compensation for the problem. This is still a good hotel, in a great location, with friendly and responsive staff who want to make it right. Very helpful with every concern and question. I would recommend it for any conference in town that connects you to the convention center, or need to access the downtown core by foot.

chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

I have been staying in this hotel for years on regular trips to Minneapolis. The location is great as close to everything, so just an easy walk. Their recent renovation is really wonderful! The rooms are totally fresh with fantastic Grohe fixtures, comfy Hyatt beds, perfect sheets and towels and nice furnishings. The lobby received a huge make over and looks great! The staff is always friendly and helpful. Self parking is very convenient. Perfect location for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Front desk staff is very helpful. No bad rooms; just fellow travelers with poor manners.....
Venice, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

I travel quite often and have not stayed in a Hyatt in a while. this hotel was more convenient that any of the Marriott's that I usually stay in and they had a special rate for the night I was to be there. The bellman (John?) helped us with our bags and then when I asked about a good place to listen to music, he spent quite a while with me recommending places and looking in the newspaper for what was occurring that night. I always need a feather free room because of allergies, and the housekeeping staff immediately went to our room to remove items. Unfortunately, I had a reaction to even the "residue" from the other pillows and bed cover. When I went to the front desk to ask what to do, I was immediately assigned one of their "allergy-free" rooms. Excellent customer service! Parking was very convenient and we loved being so close to the beautiful Loring park for walking. The buffet breakfast was one of the best ever....especially the sausage!! Again...it was a wonderful experience!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Randy T, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Minneapolis, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
I am pleased you found our staff to be responsive and that John delivered memorable customer service. I will ensure I share this review and my appreciation with him the next time I see him. We look forward to your return.
Thunder Bay, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

Great hotel with excellent accommodations, helpful and pleasant staff, easy parking and close to downtown Minneapolis. This was second time at this hotel and it appears that they have made major renovations. The lobby is very comfortable and upbeat. The room was quite, clean and cozy. Parking was extremely easy and reasonable price. Usually hotel is the Marriott but price way to high compared to the Hyatt. This will be our first choice next visit to Minneapolis!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple