“Nicer in small ways that add up to a big difference.”

Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown
Ranked #19 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Nicer in small ways that add up to a big difference.”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

When I booked here, I wasn't expecting too much—I thought it would be clean, comfy and have necessary amenities. And I wasn't disappointed. But I was pleased to find that it was, well, just a bit nicer than the usual place. Everything seems to be done with just a tad more attention to detail.

When you check in, the desk isn't monolithic; it's got stations. The person checking you in steps out from behind the station to hand you your key and point the way. It was a simple, but effective, change; I immediately felt welcome. The staff are very courteous, and their smiles seem genuine. There are many wonderful dining options right nearby; a great brewpub is right next door, and a neighborhood with wonderful ethnic food just down the road. The wifi is fast and easy to access, and it's free. The rooms are quite comfy, with some nice extras—usb charging ports, for instance. I was given the option to request a room on an upper floor, and I was pleased to find that I got one, with a very lovely view. The fitness center is well equipped and not too crowded. There's even a small pool.

And the price is quite reasonable for a downtown hotel.

I am not usually a fan of the big chains; they are usually alike and forgettable. But this one is just a bit nicer in many small ways that add up to a big difference.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Brian J
Dick T, General Manager at Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Wow! Thank you for the good words and for staying with us. Great feedback for our staff that encourages them to work even harder to make every stay as perfect as possible. Many thanks!
Dick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Fairfax VA
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Nothing to get excited about, but a convenient location just a few blocks from UMN. Very convenient to the light rail. Since it's by the university, there's restaurants and bars nearby, although I didn't try any.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dick T, General Manager at Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Thank you for your comments! We are happy you found the convenience of our Courtyard Minneapolis adjacent to the University of Minnesota campus. Our Bistro food and service, and our housekeeping and maintenance services are ranked in the top 5% of all 890 Courtyard hotels. We hope you will have the opportunity to return to better experience this fabulous service. Many thanks for your business and your feedback!
Reviewed July 20, 2014

Stayed her for leisure this past weekend and to pretty much sum up my stay I'll just this was the best Courtyard I've ever stayed at. The rooms were very clean and up to date. I got a king bed with a nice view. Room was kind of small but good enough for my boyfriend and I. The only thing I didnt care for was the parking expense but thats expected when you're in a metro area near a college campus. Other than that this hotel lived up to my standards and plus more, need I add, the front desk staff were very professional!

Room Tip: Corner king room is small but great for one with nice view (ending in 02)
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for such a nice and informative review! We look forward to serving you again and all of the folks that you have now encouraged to stay with us!
Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

As a Marriott enthusiast and rewards member I tend to sway towards the brands for my business stays. This Courtyard definitely set the bar high for other Courtyards! I never stayed here before so was unsure exactly what I was in for but the second I stepped foot inside I knew it'd be a good experience. The lobby area is large and inviting with a large bar as the focal point making you think you were in a full service Marriott brand. The check in was quick and friendly with the employees making sure you knew where to go and that you had everything needed. The room I had was on the top floor overlooking the entrance (unfamiliar what direction that is) so I was able to see the town. With that realized there were restaurants/bars directly across the street and the University of Minnesota only 2 blocks away. Fantastic view is what I'm getting at here.
I went to unwind at the gym which is on the 14th floor, as is the pool. In the gym were 3 treadmills, an elliptical, 2 bikes all looking over downtown Minneapolis and the expressway. There also were the standard dumbbells that go up to 50# so that satisfied for a hotel gym.
Rooms were quiet, beds very comfortable, and room temperature was on point.
The Bistro works well for breakfast and offers the Starbucks coffee so it gets my day going.
I'll definitely make this my go to when visiting Minneapolis and wish I experienced it sooner.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank DestressedA
Dick T, General Manager at Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Thank you for your review of our Courtyard and sharing your experience with future guests. Isn't that view from the fitness center one of the best you have ever seen? It's a great work out too. We appreciate your kind words, your endorsement and your business. Hope to see you again soon!
SIMPSONVILLE
Reviewed July 16, 2014

We went to visit campus, specifically the West Bank. We were right in the middle of the Four Corners area and it was great! Access to everything and within 15-30 minute walk of all the campus buildings we needed to see. It is a bit pricey and their rates change during the week, but this place is all about location. Attached garage was nice and it helped save money on other parking at the U.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience and your referral! Yes, we are very convenient and you can park here and not worry about parking on campus - we run a free shuttle to the campus all day. We look forward to your returning to us soon. Again, thank you for your comments and your business!
Madison, SD
Reviewed July 12, 2014

My wife and I left for Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown on July 4th from our home in South Dakota to spend a holiday weekend somewhere nice. We discovered this Hotel after some research online for travel destinations in Minneapolis which has become our favorite city within Minnesota. It took us 4 hours of driving time to reach Minneapolis. An easy way to reach the Hotel is Highway 212 (West to East) until Hwy 62 from 212 exit is reached. Stay on Hwy 62 into Minneapolis for about 5 miles. Exit onto I-35W N and drive about 6.5 miles watching the exit signs until you see exit 17C. At this point you can actually see the Hotel which is just off the interstate on Washington Avenue.
You will need to check into the Hotel and then get a ticket for the parking lot which you will use when entering and leaving each time. Temporary parking outside the front lobby is acceptable and encouraged while checking in. I suggest an upper level city view room which is great for pictures of the city from the Hotel windows. My wife and I had the 14th floor room #1414 which is the second room to the right of the recreation area and the elevators - fitness room (with tread mills, weights, and Televisions ) and swimming pool is located here as well. It is nicely located to the soda and ice machine too, which is very convenient for trips for ice or drinks.
Our room was "very" pleasantly furnished with refrigerator, large flat screen television, internet hook ups. beautiful clean bathrooms, and coffee maker for breakfasts. Directly down 14 stories was where we parked our car beneath the window of our room (quite by accident). There was just a small amount of noise coming from the hallway due to our location close to the swimming pool. However considering that people naturally "sometimes" make a little noise while having fun this was not considered a problem. This was a very small sacrifice to have a room close to the pool, fitness room, and machines and elevator.
The view from our room was awesome as off to the left was the Stone Arch bridge in the distance and the St. Anthony Falls behind it. The Gutherie Theater and Gold Medal Flour Mill Tour attractions are located immediately before the falls as well. My wife and I spent a whole day just walking along the river and enjoying the sights and the view. The University of Minnesota Medical Center is located right across the Mississippi River. Right in front of this Hotel is located a movie theater, a bar restaurant with outside seating (Town Hall Brewery). Across the street is the Corner Bar and Sgt. Prestons, and the Bullwinkle Saloon on Washington Ave. So how can you lose with Sports Bars and restaurants in front of the Hotel as well as a cocktail lounge and food machines and eating area in the Bistro portion of the Lobby too. You don't have to leave the Hotel for anything if you don't want to. ;-)
This hotel is my recommended place to stay while visiting Minneapolis. The Lobby of the hotel is extremely nice and there is a bar and restaurant area for meals too. The only negative portion of our stay was the pizza we ordered in the Bistro. I would not recommend this at all, stay with an order of burger and fries!! On a scale of 1 to 10 I would give this Hotel a "10". There is also a nice 15% discount for seniors to make things even more inviting as well as a very friendly, professional staff. . .

Room Tip: Be sure to book a 14th floor room with City and river view!!
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed July 7, 2014

My husband and I visited for a long 4th of July weekend. Let me start by saying
that in my opinion, this is not a downtown hotel. I would classify the location
as a university location. I was expecting to be in the heart of downtown, which
this is not. The location, however, is excellent for freeway access.

The lobby is beautiful and large, as well as very functional. The staff that I dealt with
were fine, not outstanding, but certainly not rude. The parking, while pricey in
my opinion, was very convenient. We actually watched the fireworks display from
the roof of the parking lot and the price of the parking was worth it for that
alone. A minor annoyance with the food stand selling Starbucks products is that
it did not offer any iced coffee, which was disappointing. The room was very
nicely decorated and was well outfitted to charge multiple electronic devices.
The restroom did not have a fan, and the room had no vanity mirror, so the steam
from the shower made it a little difficult for two people to be getting ready at
once. The closet doors are mirrored, but it's very dark and hard to see. The
television must be satellite, as we got no local channels to come in, which was
also disappointing. I noticed some earlier reviews complained of noise, which
we really did not find to be an issue. Once or twice we could hear people in
the hall, but that is to be expected and for us, was not a problem.

Overall, we had a very nice stay and would definitely recommend this property, even with the few downsides that we found.

Room Tip: Try to get a higher floor for a very nice view.