“One of the nicest Courtyard”

Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown
Ranked #18 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Fort Myers Beach, Florida
“One of the nicest Courtyard”
Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

I was surprised when I walked in as the lobby reminded me more of a Marriott than a Courtyard. It was very late when we arrived, but you would not know it by the friendly smiling staff who was very kind to greet us. The room was very spacious clean and quiet. Breakfast service the next morning was prompt and just as kind. Will be staying here the next time we are in town

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank YaMonNoWorries
Courtyard M, General Manager at Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
YaMonNoWorries –
I appreciate your taking the time to share your feedback. We pride ourselves on being a custom/unique Courtyard by Marriott with more upgraded features to that of a traditional Courtyard. Our recent $17 million renovation brought huge changes to the design and concept of our hotel leaving us with a stylish and refreshing experience for our guests. I’m glad you enjoyed your overall experience including the size of the rooms and the personal interactions you had with our front desk associates. I’m honored you will stay with us next time you are in the Minneapolis Downtown area. Please make sure you say hello!
Philip Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed December 4, 2013

I just had the opportunity to spend the night and conduct a seminar at the Courtyard by Marriott in Minneapolis, MN. I have stayed at this hotel many times in the past when the hotel was under the Holiday Inn flag. The new owners have spent approximately $17 million on renovations. However, no matter how much is spent on upgrades, if the staff is not efficient and professional the hotel will still suffer. In the case of the Courtyard, not only are the upgrades wonderful, the staff members are even better. The front desk staff members in the evening during checking in and in the morning staff members was efficient, friendly, and helpful.

With regards to renovations, the lobby is beautiful and the check in area is designed to check guests in with the upmost efficiency. The bristo and bar area are designed to allow for conversation or allows one to watch television. Of course there are the usually monitors with news updates and weather reports. My sleeping room was a suit on the 12th floor and was newly designed with a sleek European look. The bed was comfortable, with ample pillows. The bath room was rather small and shower was built made of glass. Only one side of the shower glass was mobile, and I did not like having to stand in the shower in order to turn it on.

I was very impressed with the efficiency of the catering staff for my event. Every request was met and they exceeded my expectation for service. While registering the participants to my conference, the General Manager took the time to come down to talk with me. In all my travels, and believe me I spend about 200 days a night in hotels, I have only found two GMs walking around the hotel greeting guests. I got the sense that the GM really cared about the success of this hotel.

This is an urban hotel and parking is in a garage, but it is easy to get in and out of. My only complaint is that I am used to Courtyards offer their Platinum Premier members a breakfast coupon. However, I was told that Courtyard’s new policy is not to offer the coupons any longer. Oh well, we all know the days of enjoying travel is fast disappearing.

I know there are many wonderful hotels in Minneapolis. But, I can strongly recommend the Courtyard on Washington Street as being excellent for the business or causal traveler. I will certainly be staying at this hotel again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the high floor
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank FLJ021251
Courtyard M, General Manager at Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dr. Johnson –
I am very humbled by your detailed and thoughtful review of the Courtyard by Marriott Minneapolis Downtown. You’ve successfully recapped and attested to the many benefits and experiences we envisioned our guests would have when opening this newly renovated property.
I am so happy to hear that our sleek and modern designs were to your liking. The renovations are very much worth the time and effort especially when we hear that guests appreciate the visual appeal and amenities of the hotel.
As General Manager, I truly am very interested and engaged in the activities and success of the hotel. Any chance I get to meet guests like you, I am excited to converse with. Additionally, I am so proud and trust the effort that our associates put forth. Front desk, catering and every member of our team takes great pride in their positions and I will be sure to share your review with them.
I look forward to having you stay with us next time you are in the Minneapolis Downtown area. Make sure you say hello!
Chicago
Reviewed November 12, 2013

My husband and I are regular travelers to the campus area (this hotel is not downtown, no matter how much they want you to think it is) and we now have three decent hotels to choose from, which is great. However, we received a handicapped room, but was not informed of this at check-in. Counter heights etc are not appropriate for non-handicapped guests and should be set aside for them. The hallway was VERY LOUD -- especially with the spring-loaded doors slamming. A taxi was booked to the airport for our departure. Somehow, we ended up not a taxi, but rather a town car. The rate was supposed to be $40, yet the driver charged $45. Another guest who checked out at about the same time seemed to have successfully arranged a taxi instead while we ended up paying $10 more than we should have (with tip). The lobby is very nice, but there really needs to be restaurant-like service and maybe a breakfast buffet. The room was very stuffy and the air-conditioning seemed to turn off when the room was unoccupied and during sleep. We'll give it another try this winter when we are traveling together, but my husband when traveling without me will probably go back to one of the other options.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank revephemeral
Courtyard M, General Manager at Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Revephemeral –
Thank you for your detailed review of the Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown. I’m glad that you’ve found us as one of the options for the University of Minnesota area. I am sorry to hear about the experiences that you had in and out of the hotel. I assure you that the issues we can control, such as hinge adjustments, will be communicated to my associates and resolved to create a more refreshing stay for our guests. I am sorry your transportation expectations fell short as well. We look for consistency in our transportation services as fare shock hurts everyone. We know the car services have consistent fares but cannot say the same for taxi fares. I am happy to hear that you will be returning for the winter to allow us to redeem your previous stay. Thanks again for your detailed review.
Philip Johnson – General Manager

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Still some housekeeping kinks to work out in this totally renovated Courtyard: my room wasn't ready at 3pm, got sent up to a dirty room 20 minutes later, finally ended up on the 13th floor and saved $20/night over the "city view" on the 14th floor. Stayed 4 nights, the last night I returned after 12 hours out to find the room not cleaned. A nice man from housekeeping came immediately and made the bed and freshened up the room. So that was the down side of the stay.
Big pluses: friendly helpful staff, great rooms with comfortable beds, loads of outlets for charging devices, in-room safe, swell location in Seven Corners with at least 4 fine bars serving food just steps away. I liked Republc and went twice. Also a "bistro bar" in the hotel lobby with drinks and a good local brew on tap. Didn't try the meals which looked good and reasonably priced though no food service from 10am to 5pm which seems odd. The "Market" is lots of high priced junk food with very few sandwiches or salads available. Rooms have refrigerators but no microwave.
Bathroom is great - big glassed in walking shower, nice wide counters, plenty of closet space. Love the plethora of lights by the bed including the up and down lighted sconces on rheostats.
Parking is $17/day with in and out in a ramp that's attached to the hotel.
Will absolutely stay here again, close to the U of M and very easy walking distance to the new Green Line light rail when it opens soon.

Room Tip: Higher floor is always my preference, the odd number rooms look out to the U of M, even numbers look...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank bostonmarc
Bostonmarc,
Thank you for your detailed and thorough review of the Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown. You’ve touched on many good points including our location as a central HUB to anything you would want to do in the area, our refreshing guest rooms and personalized customer service. We are very excited to be on the Green Line starting in 2014 so guests can access even more of the Twin Cities area.
Thank you for the feedback pertaining to our housekeeping staff. We will examine the issue and improve to make sure that your stay is refreshing and re energizing as a stay at Courtyard should be.
We couldn’t be more pleased to see you again when you come back. Thank you,
Grand Forks, North Dakota
Reviewed October 28, 2013

The room are very modern and nice, beds and pillows very comfortable and location to the dome extremely ideal!! However, the rates are very high. NO hot tubs at all in the hotel very upsetting, elevators have issues we walked 8 flights of stairs, The Bistro has very select items for food and extremely over priced, no room service, there are no vending machines on individual floors and what items they do have by front desk are priced rediculous. Employees some were nice some alittle rude. Housekeeping very noisy early hours! The bar close to hotel called The Corner Bar is by far the greatest bar and has excellent food and great workers very fun time!!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank labplb
Courtyard M, General Manager at Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Labplb –
Thank you for your review. I really am sorry for the changes that were made that you found dissatisfying at the Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown. We made many changes since the hotel was a Holiday Inn, in effort to create a better experience for our guests. We are in the process of upgrading our elevators and are sorry that they were out of service when you needed them. It was decided to exchange the hot tub for a larger exercise facility based off of feedback from Courtyard travelers. We acknowledge that there are no snack machines on each floor (beverage on all floors) but chose this option so that we could embrace “the Market” which offers a wider selection of items and is open 24 hours.
With all of that – your experience still falls below our standards and for that I am sorry. While I cannot add a whirlpool or additional vending to each floor - I can ensure your next stay is memorable. Hopefully willing – you will reach out to me personally at phil.johnson@courtyardminneapolis.com with your next check in date and confirmation number so we can go above and beyond your expectations!
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Courtyard Minneapolis handled our wedding party stay this weekend. They did an excellent job. This brand new hotel is beautiful, functional, and the staff were great. Very helpful and supportive. So glad we chose this hotel over others!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelMetrodome, General Manager at Courtyard Minneapolis Downtown, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Dear Kornopp –
Congratulations to you and your wife on this special time in your lives! I know that Lisa and Ben really enjoyed working with you and we are all very happy that you chose our hotel. Please consider coming back to stay with us soon to relive all the happy memories you made together this past weekend!
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I must admit that this almost too nice to be a Courtyard instead of a regular Marriott. I was very happily surprised and impressed with its renovation. Location is near the University and there are nice restaurants within walking distance.

Hotel:

It has Starbuck's coffee and a nice food selection, which is located in a great lobby space for sitting and talking with friends or using your or their computer. They have free computer service in the lobby with free printing, which was wonderful as I was there for a conference. I really like that it wasn't stuck in a business office away from everything as well as the great price-free. They also have a shuttle, which is nice if you need it.

Service: I was able to check in early and leave late, which I was very grateful for since my flights were at very odd times. They were very gracious about it and eager to make the accommodation, if possible.

Rooms:

Great space! Room is spacious and nicely decorated and the layout works well. There is a couch with a long ottoman with enough space to enjoy it. The work space actually gives you a choice--you can sit at the desk or take another desk that is located underneath the fixed desk and roll it to were you would rather work--It was great. The bed is really, really comfortable. I need a new bed at home so I was grateful to get a good night sleep. I had a shower in my room, the only thing I didn't like is that the glass door closest to the shower is fixed so you have to get it into the shower to turn it on, which is not pleasant for an instant. It seems to be a trend and I don't know why decorators do that.

I really enjoyed it and would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the housekeeping room and elevators. The housekeepers do an excellent job...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business