“Great Location, Not alot of perks”

Crowne Plaza Downtown - Northstar
Ranked #35 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Thunder Bay, Canada
“Great Location, Not alot of perks”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza in September 2012 for a family wedding. The wedding was at St. Olaf's Church and was in walking distance from the hotel.

There were many different places to shop and eat close to the hotel also. We took the sky-way one afternoon and just wandered through different buildings and stores. It leads to Macy's and Target which is really convenient if the weather is not nice, then you don't even have to go outside but can still get some shopping done.

Friends of ours went to the bar and said the service was gets, and the ladies at the front desk were very helpful with directions and recommendations. Also the door men were great too!
We Stayed on the floor of the garden terrace. There were four rooms all together with the people we traveled with, and we all had different rooms! Ours was the best! We had sliding doors that led out to the terrace. So during the day would could enjoy the sun, and in the evening when the common doors locked, it was still accessible for the smokers in our group. It was also nice because the wedding party had there pictures taken in the garden so we were able to get a sneak peak at the bride before the wedding.

We had breakfast in the restaurant one morning. It was delicious and reasonably priced. My fiance was wearing a Detroit Red Wings hat that day, and the manager of the restaurant and him talked for a really long time about hockey. She had even named her first child after a Detroit Red Winger. He really enjoyed the conversation. Its not very often we travel to the US and get to have an in-depth discussion with someone about the game of hockey. She got a big tip from him that day :)

When we first arrived at the hotel, we had a little bit of trouble finding it at first. It wasn't very well identified other then a small sign up very high, and the parking was a little stressful out front until we were told where the park-aid was. Being in a smaller Ontario city we aren't use to that kind of parking.

There was no free wifi, and the cost to use the wifi was very expensive. My teenage cousin was very irritated with that.
Mall of America was just over a $30 cab from the hotel.

All in all we all enjoyed our stay at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Shawnee,
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Excellent location for business travel (especially in the winter). The "tubes" that take you throughout downtown are just one floor up. There are plenty of places to eat nearby but room service is exceptional if you feel like staying in. Staff is great and very helpful. If you are going back to the airport - have the front desk set-up a car for you to take- cheaper than cabs.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Buffalo, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Anita at the front desk treated us like royalty. We have never had better customer service. She connected us to a waiter at the restaurant we were going to and he treated us well too. What a wonderful experience. However, loud talking outside our room in the middle of the night required a call to security to move them away.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the elevators.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Just so you know, this hotel is a four-star business traveler hotel-- but I was a road traveler who stayed here using a mystery hotel from Travelocity... so the rules of ratings may not apply fairly here :(
Quick Summary: Very, very nice hotel but no free parking, no free wifi, no continental breakfast in a noisy, light polluted, downtown neighborhood.
Everything I saw and experienced was impressively perfect. I don't even want to know what the overnight rate would have been had I not had my mystery hotel discount :)
My room had two comfortable queen sized beds (for my wife, daughter and I) in a bigger than usual layout. Bathroom was ample and included a sink inside and outside the bathroom door-- very convenient. I don't remember seeing a refrigerator. TV was LCD, but didn't work first time I turned it on... powered off/on again and got it to work. Nice spare power outlets available on the office desk, but no spare power on the bed-side table.
I prefer dark and quiet when I sleep, but the curtains on the windows of our 15th floor room wouldn't draw completely across-- weren't even meant to. Privacy and light control was accomplished using thick, black, louvered horizontal blinds that didn't completely close or overlap so that light from the offices in the building next door (which were on all night long on a Friday night) kept our room lit fairly well. Downtown Minneapolis doesn't sleep at night, so there were sirens every hour echoing their alarm clearly in the canyons of tall buildings (brought ear-plugs and regret not using them).
Hallway noise in the hotel however was non existent... the place was empty except for us. Even the ice machine was located behind a windowed door in the hallway to eliminate its dull hum-- nice touch.
I'm not new to Minneapolis, but this was the first time I had stayed in a big-city, downtown hotel. Apparently business travelers would expect this, but I was blown away that overnight parking was an extra $20 per night on weeknights and $6 per night on weekends. We stayed on a Friday night so we had a break. Luckily, the very helpful desk staff suggested we try finding a curb-side parking spot somewhere on the block for free since we were checking in after 10pm and curb parking was free on Saturdays. I'd seen Parking Wars before and had a bit of trouble sleeping imagining that my van would get towed, but no worries-- it was right where I left it next morning :)
I expected free wifi, but this is probably something that business travelers in a downtown hotel are used to... there was a fee for using the wifi :(
I also expected a continental breakfast, but likewise, business travelers would be able to per diem their pricy hotel restaurant meals.
Overall it was worth the few extra miles and downtown locale for the mystery hotel discount I was charged, but if I had had to pay full price, this would not have been my choice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Downtown - Northstar, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Dear Jeb6kids,

Krysllin G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Minnesota
Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

Staff is always friendly when checking in. Beds are great (sturdy yet soft) Parking is easy with a ramp right next to hotel entrance. I stay here once or twice a year during the holiday party season. Cabs are easy to get right outside the front door.

• Stayed December 2012
Dilworth, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed January 14, 2013

This was a short one night stay for a mini vacation with my fiance. The staff as always was awesome! They are always so kind and helpful. The room was a bit musty, but overall it was pretty nice. I forgot that they do NOT have free wi-fi, which I would think in this day and age that should be free at every hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
East Helena, Montana, United States
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We stayed here the weekend prior to New Years and was pleasantly surprise at the great customer service we received.
We arrived on the train early Saturday morning and they had a room ready for us! The staff was very helpful with restaurant recommendations and giving us directions to shopping and other area attractions. The manager on duty, Jackie LaTour, was phenomenal. She went out of her way to assist us with dinner reservations on New Years Eve and arranging a car for us to take to the train station later that night.
The only negative of the stay was the hot water issue...we stayed on the 17th floor and never had "hot" water. There was a hot water heater issue on day, but even after it was fixed we didn't have more than luke warm water. It was brought to the staff's attention and they did everything to try to make things better. Hopefully they'll improve their water heating system.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager618, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Downtown - Northstar, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review! It is always great to read about great guest experiences in our hotel. Jackie LaTour is a very important member of our team and certainly leads by example in regards to customer service for the rest of us.
I want to apologize for the issue with the hot water on the morning on January 1st. We did have an issue with our heat exchanger and it was resolved later that day. I know that does not make up for your luke warm shower on a cold morning, but I want you to know that this is not the norm for our hotel.
If your travels bring you back downtown, please feel free to contact me directly and I will certainly assist with your reservation needs.
Happy New Year!