“Nice hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #20 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Winona, Minnesota
“Nice hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

Very nice staff, clean rooms, room service food was delicious! The room was a little bit warm when I arrived but I was able to cool it down using the heater system. The TV was large with premium channels and the shower was very nice. Thank you!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RamadaPlazaMpls, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Minneapolis, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Melinda,
Thank you so much for the great review! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed our staff, rooms and room service menu. We look forward to your next stay here with us at Ramada Plaza Minneapolis.
Happy Travels!
Tammy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

We stayed this last weekend while our kids were attending a sports camp at the U. We have originally booked via Hotwire and added one night directly with the hotel. They honored that price for us without question for the additional night

My previous experiences with Ramada's has been sketchy. When I was told this where we would be staying, I let out an audible "Oh boy." Upon entering, I was immediately impressed. The large lobby was welcoming and decorated very nicely.

When we got to the room, I was also pleasantly surprised. The linens and furnishings all looked new. We did have a side table that had some visible damage, but overall the room was large and nicely kept.

The real test of staff hospitality came next when we proceeded to break the rules. As is not uncommon for us, the parents sat by the pool and watched the kids swim (by the way, the pool is quite nice and not too much chlorine). It was not the behavior of the kids, but the parents. We had a few bottle of wine and some beers by the pool when the signage clearly states "No Glass." We always figure, we are responsible adults, we don't drink a lot (read, no drunks), but we just socialize. After about an hour in the pool, the manager came in with plastic cups for us and offered to move all of our glass beverages to the terrace where they would stay cold (it is January in MN after all). The manager could have been a jerk---we were breaking the rule, but he just did it in such a professional, courteous manner helpful manner, we were all very impressed.

Because of it's location to the U and sports areas, this hotel could be a run down dump. It is anything but. Well appointed rooms and very accommodating staff. I would have no problems staying at this property again or recommending it to others.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
TravelMonWI,
Thank you so much for the great review! I'm thrilled that you were pleasantly surprised and hope that we turned your "oh boy" into a "woo hoo!!". We are definitely not the typical Ramada, as you saw. We hope to have you as our guest again here at Ramada Plaza Minneapolis the next time your travels bring you to the University of Minnesota or the Twin Cities.
Warmly,
Carlton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

I travel quit frequently and this is the worst experience I have had in recent memory. I picked this hotel for a company Christmas party for 12 people going to the theater in downtown Msp. I picked this location for three reasons. 1, they accepted my corporate lodging card. 2, they offered a shuttle service that would take all of us downtown without having to be concerned about parking or driving. 3, they have a lounge on site were we could have a social hour afterwards. First of all they had the reservations wrong and could not figure out how to bill through my corporate lodging for multiple rooms and I ended up paying out of pocket for the rooms although they did offer a discounted rate, it wasn't equivalent to the corporate lodging rate advertised...businesses often book multiple rooms, this shouldn't have been an issue. 2nd, find out they have a shuttle schedule and the dates that we booked our rooms the shuttle was not running at all because of the holidays. I specifically asked about the shuttle when booking, I should have been made aware that this was not going to be available the night of our stay! 3rd, after the we returned from the show and went to the lounge for our cocktails, we were told that the bar was closing! It was 10:30 on a Saturday night, you have 12 people walk into a bar with credit cards and your closing?? The bartender was "nice enough" to let us buy one drink and take it out into the lobby. While sitting in the lobby, we noticed at least 6-8 more couples exit the elevator towards the lounge and return shortly after empty handed and disappointed also!
When complaining to the staff on duty they made absolutly no gesture to make our stay any better. I suggested that maybe they could get us a cab, comp one of our rooms, finally I asked about a couple rounds of drinks in the bar and I was given 4 free drink tokens....for 12 people, and I had to ask for them!! So, in the end, our rooms were more expensive. We had and extra $30 in parking expense, Oh, and we were all charged $4.50 for what was suppose to be a $3 bloody mary special the next morning when the lounge did decide to open. But, we saved so much from not being able to spend money in the bar the night before.

Now the rooms... Beds not as comfortable as other places I have stayed. No refrigerator or microwaves in the rooms. Bathrooms are very small.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Ramada

1 Thank Jason D
Jason,
I'm happy that our Rooms Director, Nina, had a chance to speak with you and sort out the things brought up in your review. It's always nice when we can talk to guests when they have a less than pleasant experience and resolve the issues. We are looking forward to your next stay and hope that now you are too.
Kind regards,
Chisholm, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013

I have stayed at this particular hotel many times in the last 15 years. Used to be a Sheridan, and a few others before it was under Ramada. When we called to make reservations (5 rooms, 11 people) to attend an event this past weekend we specifically asked if there would be shuttle services to and from the hotel to the event, and we asked if there was a hotel bar/lounge. Those were two of the things that we specifically required in making our reservations--and the person who took our reservations confirmed that there was both. When we arrived, we were notified that the shuttle wasn't running on that particular day (for whatever reason). Also, when we returned from the event (Saturday night, 10:45 pm), we were informed by the bartender that the bar was closing due to bad weather and that she wanted to go home. (the roads were fine--hence we just got done driving back to the hotel due to no shuttle....). So she gave us one drink and told us to go sit in the lobby and drink it. ?? Very disappointing. In addition, we were quoted one price for our rooms and were charged 5-10 $ more per room when our bills came. We asked about the difference, yet the staff at the counter couldn't explain the extra charges.

Like I said, I have stayed here in the past, and have returned only because of the convenient location--but this time was rather disappointing and would pick somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms have been updated, although I do not believe all of them are yet from past experie...