“Good Price Point and Large Rooms, but Odd Location and Minimal Service” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hyatt Place Minneapolis/Downtown

Hyatt Place Minneapolis/Downtown
Ranked #11 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, Washington
“Good Price Point and Large Rooms, but Odd Location and Minimal Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights whilst I was in town for a conference over at the Marriott. I selected this hotel based on the price point - it was an excellent deal as compared to other downtown hotels. The rooms were also very large and you could tell everything was fairly new. It's great to have free Wi-Fi, and the breakfast is nice, but I would prefer consistency in the cooked breakfast - some days there was nothing that I could eat, other days it all looked delicious!

Why this property gets a "3" falls in to two areas: Location and Service
1) The hotel isn't very visibly marked from the street level, and you enter via what appears to be a somewhat empty building and/or parking garage. I purposefully did not stay out after dark as the set up didn't really look that safe to me. There are 3 or 4 elevators that you can take to get to the hotel lobby, which is on like the 8th or 9th floor (over an apartment building I think). Be careful on the elevator you chose to use each day, as during the morning commute you can literally stop on every floor of the apartment building going down - it's worth it to wait for the one hotel express elevator. The location is on the outskirts of the downtown - still on the Skyway and very walkable at street level, but you do need to allow 10-15 minutes to get to your downtown destination.

2) Service overall was poor - When I arrived on Monday the air con in the hotel wasn't working (and it gets humid in MSP!), and I had to wait to check in, as one guest was complaining about their room smelling like smoke and another had improper room charges. When I finally got checked in all was well, although housekeeping entered my room even with the "Come back later" sign up, and I got a check-out bill after one night, when I was supposed to be staying for 4 nights!

All in all, I chose this hotel for price, and wasn't disappointed in that regard. It was a perfectly decent, family-friendly, clean hotel within walking distance of the light rail and downtown.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank anchmer
Jay S, General Manager at Hyatt Place Minneapolis/Downtown, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear Anchmer, I am so sorry if we did not live up to your expectations in some areas. Hyatt did try to get the city and buidling owners to put more signs up, but both would not allow. This does make it difficult to find us. We feel our current pricing level for parking is competitive seeing that you get in and out privelages for that $4 increase in price over the garage. If you leave just one time or stay past your 24 hour time, our parking structure would save you money. I hope that you will try us again in the future as even being green the items in the room should work properly.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Cricklade, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2014

Great reception staff (always cheerful, always super helpful) great room (Suite actually) good bathroom, very good breakfast, great downtown location - not far from the Light Railway stop and on the Skyway - the only slight niggle was that the bathroom (sliding) door was a bit stiff to open and close - totally excellent apart from that. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jay S, General Manager at Hyatt Place Minneapolis/Downtown, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear AlanP00le,
Thank you so much for your great review! I see all the reviews that you have composed over time on TripAdvisor so thank you for constantly and consistently telling others about your experience. It goes a long way in helping others know about the establishment and the culture of that establishment. Thanks for all the feedback.
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

I've been here since Monday for a conference. When I first saw the hotel from outside, it looked old and didn't have any expectation for this hotel.

Check in process was smooth despite of early check in.

Room was actually nice, it looks like it went through some renovation not too long ago.

What I like the most is art work. Throughout the conference room area halls and in a hotel room, they had nice arts displayed. Art they selected was very nice, I enjoyed walking around the hotel to see some nice pictures.

Only negative comment I may have was food. I and many of the conference attendees here go to various conference. We understand how difficult it is to prepare so many meals and serve at the same time to hundreds of people. We all try to be understanding towards conference food, but yesterday's over cooked salmon with undercooked rice was something I couldn't eat.

Hotel staffs are very nice and room is good. Just avoid the food if you can

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Hamham730,
Thank you for experiencing the Hyatt Place Minneapolis in downtown. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest. We appreciate all the comments you provided and are glad that you enjoyed your stay. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to serve you again in the future and earn a 5 star rating from you.
Duluth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

We stayed for a wedding last week and found it to meet and exceed our expectations. The room was great, with two sides of it. Each room has two beds and a couch with sofa sleeper. But a comfortable l-shaped couch. If I'd been there for work, I would really have liked that area as the desk was a working desk with a chair that fit desk. The bathroom had a sliding frosted door----I liked it, my husband and daughter not so much (they felt they could see through to see silhouettes. The breakfast associate Anna was so very helpful. The breakfast was ok, could use a waffle maker, hard boiled eggs, and cheese for the eggs. It's a huge breakfast area-- and a few more choices would make it great! We opted for lunch in hotel before the wedding. We had low expectations for the food-- we were the only ones in the area at 1:30 p.m. We were so pleasantly surprised that the hamburger was great, my chicken tortilla soup was great, and the salads very good! We split the hamburger as it was good and plenty!

The only thing I never noticed in write ups or when making the reservation with the hotel was that the hotel starts on the 8th floor and then we had a fourth floor room, which was on floor 12. We weren't very close to convention center and was on the edge of downtown, but area wasn't sketchy! Our room had cool lock where we could wave our key in front of it and we didn't seem to disable them when off-site like we do at so many hotels.

Lobby staff was always present and helpful--overall a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We appreciate your kind comments. It is guest's like you that make our jobs enjoyable and memorable. Thank you for choosing to stay with us. We try very hard to learn from our mistakes and to get better with every connection we make. Thank you so much.
Clayton, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

Went to Minneapolis for a business conference. The hotel was included as a conference hotel. The lobby to get the hotel was a little confusing but figured it out. Staff was always freindly. All the rooms face an open area on the first floor but noise was not an issue like other hotels I have visited. The room was very big - a separate space with a L shaped couch that could be pulled for a bed, flat screen TV, fridge, desk and chair. The bathroom was fine and bedroom area was a good size as well with another screen. The phones were cordless, first time I have seen this. All the appointements in the room were very modern and nice. The lobby had a small bar and grill as well as place to buy some snacks. The morning breakfast was fine and came with the basics - no complaints. The hotel is also connected to the Skywalk which was nice the day it rained.

The entire downtown is flled with nice restaurants (many with sidewalk seating), bars and shopping. The city was very clean, and felt safe the whole time there.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear nyc8487,

Thank you so much for your review. We appreciate your time and your feedback. I am sorry that we did not completely exceed your expectations as we strive to do every time. I hope you come back to us in the future so we can try to do an even better job. Your loyalty means the world to us, and we will do anything to continue to have you as our guest. We hope to see you soon.
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

I occasionally travel to Minneapolis for work, and my first stay at Hyatt Place was so pleasant I will definitely go back. The hotel is about a 5-10 minute walk from my office location in the central downtown area, and conveniently connected by Skyway if the weather is inclement. What made my stay so excellent was the front desk staff. Upon check in, I was offered a complimentary upgrade to a corner suite, which was a great surprise. The room was very clean, spacious and comfortable; I have been spoiled and won't want to stay in a regular room the next time! At checkout, I asked where I could change from my work clothes into jeans (for the plane home). I have to give a special shout out to Mitchell, who overheard my question to another member of staff (who was about to direct me to the lobby restroom) and insisted I use an empty guest room on the first floor near the lobby. I thought that was just 'above and beyond' kind, and I really appreciated the extra space so I could change comfortably and pack my work clothes into my bag. I feel like little gestures like that are often lost on hotel staff these days, so they are something that guests remember. I would gladly recommend the hotel to anyone and look forward to my next stay.

Room Tip: The corner suites are very spacious, comfortable and get great light.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for noticing that our staff truly goes above and beyond to ensure our guest's are well taken care of. While staying perfectly consistent all the time is hard, the staff is empowered to do whatever it takes to keep our guest's happy and coming back to us. I am glad you felt well taken care of.
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a week in June 2014. Staff are extremely nice and the rooms are great. I was on the sixth top floor and had absolutely no problems with the room, bathrooms are great with a nice bright walk-in shower. Most appreciative of the large fitness room with a nice view of the outside from above. Terrific location, easily within walking distance of the Mississippi river, Target Field and all the cool restaurants. Easy walk to the Univ. Of St. Thomas too.

If your coming in from the airport and will be staying local within downtown, definitely forgo a rental car...you can take the light rail train in from the airport or easily grab a taxi.

5 stars for this Hyatt Place and Minneapolis in general, looking forward to coming back!

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
What a great review! Thank you for giving us your honest feedback. We are delighted that we were able to exceed your expectations and create a memorable experience for you. We all work very hard to show our guests that we care and that their experience means everything to us.