“Great beer & fantastic Ethiopian”
Review of Blue Nile Restaurant - CLOSED

Blue Nile Restaurant
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I went here once before last summer, enjoyed the food & brew and so, decided to return with two dear friends. this time was better as wit a group of three we were able to manage a mammoth tray of about a dozen and a half of different foods. We were each furnished with a super soft ethnic kind of pancake which we'd tear into pieces large enough to pinch some of the food into for a big bite or two. Absolutely delicious! The bottle & draft beer menu of excellent micro and import beers to match. We were there relatively early and so it was kind of quiet. Might have been a little more fun to go when a little busier. Decor is colorful featuring the Ethiopian blues. Reasonable prices. Looking forward to another visit to the Cities and another stop here!

2  Thank drpimento

Reviewed January 13, 2013

This food is awesome they give you a huge pancake to grab up the food with, and we loved it. i actually just came for a friends bday party for drinks but I was starving and ordered some food and liked it so much I came back to eat another few times. It's in a kinda sketch neighborhood and depending on the night can have some characters in there but it's worth trying in the daytime hours

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Blue Nile was a great place to try a unique kind of food in the Twin Cities. We had a sampler platter that came with about 8 different types of food. I highly recommend it if you are not familiar the restaurant or Ethiopian food. The restaurant itself was quite old and the booth we sat in was extremely uncomfortable. I would recommend asking for a table instead of a booth.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

I was actually quite excited to go to this restaurant, because I've heard many good things about it. Upon entering, the place was actually almost silent and only about three tables were occupied (not including the bar). The layout was also a bit confusing- take the hall to the end where you see a large dining room. The menu was a little bit confusing but we figured it out. One of our number doesn't actually like Ethiopian food so she got something from the "Middle Eastern" section. The rest of us (two) got beef stew (wat in Amharic, though the menu uses an Oromo word I don't remember [Amharic and Oromo are both widely spoken in Ethiopia, the menu uses Oromo]) and a different type of stew, with fried lamb (tibs in Amharic). The beef is quite spicy, which they state on the menu, and the lamb comes in mild, medium, and hot levels. The medium lamb is cool compared to the beef. Both came with a side dish and were served upon injera (bideena in Oromo). Injera is a flat, soft bread that looks like a huge pancake. It's made out of teff, the world's smallest grain and made in what the restaurant calls a 'steamer.' You use your hands to pick up a piece of injera and scoop some wat or tibs with it. Use the provided hot towel as a napkin (which I guess the restaurant doesn't make enough money to buy), as your hands will get dirty without fail.

Now, the desserts. I got a brownie. To be honest, it wasn't good at all. The brownie comes covered with ice cream and whipped cream. It takes a few bites to get down to, and what a disappointment. It was hard (maybe stale) and not too tasty. Not to mention, the ice cream completely melted within ten minutes. The serving was huge, too, compared to the tiny baklava. Not getting that again!

Anyway, the Blue Nile is a good place with nice (Ethiopian) food but it seems to be losing customers.

**This review has been posted on another website.**

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Was in Mpls overnight and wanted some good beer, so I searched on Ratebeer.com and found this place had a high score. It was easy to get to, had private parking and a dazzling exterior paint job. The address and parking lot are on one street, but the entry is around the corner. I was there early and there were only a few other guests present. I was immediately seated by a very pleasant lady who also took my order and brought my food & drink. She gave me good advice on what food to order once I gave her an idea of what I prefer. They had a first class beer list. I had two I'd never had before. The food was fantastic and attractively presented. Prices were quite reasonable and I was happy to leave a good tip. I look forward to returning. I think it would be good for almost any kind of visit whether on business, with a date, family, or friends.

1  Thank drpimento