“Went for the beer; delighted by the food!”
Review of Blue Nile Restaurant - CLOSED

Blue Nile Restaurant
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
La Crosse, Wisconsin
“Went for the beer; delighted by the food!”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Was in Mpls overnight and wanted some good beer, so I searched on Ratebeer.com and found this place had a high score. It was easy to get to, had private parking and a dazzling exterior paint job. The address and parking lot are on one street, but the entry is around the corner. I was there early and there were only a few other guests present. I was immediately seated by a very pleasant lady who also took my order and brought my food & drink. She gave me good advice on what food to order once I gave her an idea of what I prefer. They had a first class beer list. I had two I'd never had before. The food was fantastic and attractively presented. Prices were quite reasonable and I was happy to leave a good tip. I look forward to returning. I think it would be good for almost any kind of visit whether on business, with a date, family, or friends.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank drpimento

Columbia, Missouri
“Excellent - 12 thumbs up”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I went to the Blue Nile with a group of 12 people during a business trip to Minneapolis. The reviews for the Blue Nile were very encouraging and we always try to seek out something a little bit different when our meetings take us to bigger cities. Several members of the group already knew and loved Ethiopian food but nearly half of the group had never tried it before. First the “bad” news (which really isn’t that bad). At first when we entered (it was late June) the entire restaurant was empty at ~7:30pm on a Wednesday night – usually this is a very bad sign and if it had only been 2 or 3 people in the group, we probably would have left immediately. The next thing we noticed was that the AC was off or was working so poorly it was effectively off. We actually set next to the thermostat which read 87 degrees. Finally, the list of local beers on tap was outstanding, but they were out of 4 of them – really? Enough with the bad news. Everything else was outstanding. The service was helpful and polite, suggestions were made for the Ethiopian “newbies”, and refills on the injera were plentiful. We had the larger meat/vegetable combination, a lamb dish, and several appetizers – all of which I would rate as top notch and comparable to the best Ethiopian restaurants I have tried throughout the country. The lentils were very flavorful and not just an overcooked pile – each of the three varieties really jumped with their own flavor. The spicy lamb and beef was excellent – spicy, but certainly not overpowering, mostly just flavorful. I recommend this restaurant to a colleague from Manhattan (NY) who also loves Ethiopian and she tried it the next night with colleagues Ethiopian-loving colleagues from Chicago and Baltimore – all of them thought it was in the top 5-10% of all Ethiopian restaurants they have tried. They also ate outside after our AC problem and enjoyed the large tree-covered patio. Overall, a great place – just wear short sleeves.

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank BoCoMoTiger
Lakeville, Minnesota
“Took our neice who'd just gotten back from Ethiopia”
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Our Neice had just spent the summer in Ethiopia and wanted to have her family experience Ethiopian food so We took them to Blue Nile as we'd been there years ago and liked it. Our neice said the spices we very much as in Ethiopia but the dishes were more like stews in that there the meat is in bigger chunks & served plain not mixed in with onions & other veggies. but All was good if Americanized ..Her dad & I each had lamb dishes she & my wife had beef dishes and her mom & sister had a combo plate that they shared. Almost everyone cleaned up their plates the food was pleasntly spices with just the right amount of heat They made great use of Paparica and some more exotic spices. The service was good and friendly ..they were not too busy so we took 2 hrs and ate & talked about My neice's experience in Africa.THe Balakava while not like anything she had there was homemade and very tasty. The only complaint was My wife & her sister wanted Ice tea and they only had Ethiopian tea madev with a lot of clove in it..so they drank water.

• Visited September 2011
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“The sampler platter for...”
Reviewed June 12, 2009

The sampler platter for two is huge, filled with a variety of vegetarian and meat-based dishes. The injera is spongy and light. The dining room is huge, though you should opt for a table, as the seat backs of the booths seem to be cloth-covered radiators or the like. There is no traditional Ethiopian coffee service, unfortunately, and our server told us that they don't even serve Ethiopian coffee, just some regular drip-brew stuff. A good (and almost only) choice for Ethiopian in Minneapolis.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Alan's favorite ethnic food.”
Reviewed November 17, 2008

Alan's favorite ethnic food.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook