“Unpretentious, homey, and friendly”

Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites
Ranked #7 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed December 22, 2010

My family and I had a total of six people in four rooms for a 5-day weekend. We used the BW Normandy as a home base for celebrating my mother-in-law's 80th birthday and an early Xmas at the same time, so we had other locally-based relatives visiting us there on occasion. We all agreed that the location - near the downtown entertainment district, amenities - excellent Normandy Kitchen restaurant and bar, and friendly staff made the weekend even more enjoyable. This is one of the best values in a hotel I've experienced in a long time, and would recommend this facility to anyone who needs a close-in-to-downtown location. Extra-clean rooms, great showers, and big flat-panel TVs really topped it all off. A nicely updated historic hotel.

Special thanks as well to the staff for allowing us to use the private lounge for our family gift exchange! It was absolutely perfect for our needs.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites

Reviewed December 9, 2010

The Normandy is in downtown Minneapolis (not far from the vikings stadium). It has a very large lobby (ski-lodge type) with a restaurant in it (didn't eat there). The rooms are decent, clean and modern. There is outdoor parking for $7 per day. There is free internet, but the wireless reception was poor (I ended up plugging it into the wall). It was a pretty long walk from parking to my room, but it was a really nice hallway.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 9, 2010

I ended up in Minneapolis, MN on business on short notice and with out a reservation. The hotel clerk was courteouss, freindly and accomodating and was able to get me into a great room that was spacious and clean at a reasonable price. The lounge presented a freindly staff, a pleasant atmosphere, good drinks and a excellent dinner. I highly recommend the Best Western Normandy and their stuffed pork chop dinner.

Mark W.
Milwaukee, WI

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 4, 2010

I was there on November 21 for Viking game. We came all the way from Florida to see the game and visit some family. We got there very tired and upon check in we requested a rollway bed. I believe we spoke to the gentleman called Don. We left the hotel for dinner and to visit some family and when I got back around 10 pm I never received the rollway bed. When I called back downstairs and spoke to don, he told me there should be one coming up shortly. I never got the rollway and my wife end up sleeping with my son on the same bed. What is irritating was the fact that we missed the wake up call. In fact, when I called downstairs and spoke to a lady I asked for a wakeup call for 9 am, phone never ringed in the morning. Room was super cold too. We asked for a maintenance service to check the heating on our room but no one did anything about it. In the next following day, we checked out at 11 am and called down to check out from our room. This is poor performance from your management team. I do believe, the hotel is very nice, situated right, and priced right but you need to provide a better service. I would not recommend anyone to come to that place like that. You guys dropped the ball many times. Poor performance from your management team.

Sincerely yours

James Patella

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 28, 2010

I previously wrote a review on this hotel in January of 2010. We have since stayed here three more times, the last time in mid-October. We wouldn't stay anywhere else. Every time we have been here, we have been very pleased with the front desk staff, the cleanliness of not only the guest rooms but with the hallways, common restrooms and the pool area. After checking out on one of our visits, housekeeping was already cleaning rooms and I saw one lady wiping down the outside door of a room. I have never seen that before at any hotel. If they take that much care on the outside of the room, they must do a good job on the inside too! The only thing we have yet to check out is the restaurant. We will most definitely be back the next time we visit Mpls. We have used this hotel when going to an event at the Orpheum, Vikings and Twins games-all are within a safe and comfortable walking distance.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2010

The Normandy is easy to get to and easy to get back on the interstate from. It's perfectly located for Twins' or Vikings' games. You don't have to pay the exhuberant parking fees and it's an easy walk to both parks.There are many bars and restaurants within walking distance. They also have a bar on site. The front desk people are always friendly and helpful. The rooms are spacious and clean and the free wifi is great.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2010

I stayed at the Best Western Normandy Inn for one night in late September. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. Some of the pictures online looked a little bit dated. When I arrived, I was immediately put at ease. The staff were so friendly and actually seemed to enjoy working there. The room was spacious, clean, and well appointed.

The location was great – just about two blocks from the Government Plaza Station on the Light Rail route 55 from the airport. Nicolett Mall and other attractions are just a quick walk from the hotel. One thing to note: I was probably the only non-smoker, non-homeless person walking on the sidewalk. Minneapolis has these cool skyways connecting most of the city. Use them, especially if it is winter…

My flight home was not scheduled to leave until late in the day of check-out, and the staff happily stored my luggage so that I could roam around a bit more hands free. They also had a business center with three computers where I was able to print my boarding passes. Free wireless was also available throughout the hotel if you prefer to use that.

I did not try the on-site restaurant, the Normandy Kitchen, but it looked pretty decent and was quiet and civilized. Not so noisy that it would disturb hotel guests.

Minneapolis is a smaller city than where I am from, however, it felt very lively with shopping, museums, restaurants, etc. It’s very easy to get around and you can really cover the sights by foot – but it’s nice to know that there is a light rail system if you want to cover greater distances more easily, such as reaching the Mall of America en route to the airport just to say you had been there. The hotel staff has plenty of maps and was willing to share their picks on places to check out that tourists might not know about.

Other tidbits about this hotel: 1. Every night they bake fresh chocolate chip cookies and offer them to guests (with a glass of milk, if you like!) They are really good. 2. There is a nice pool with plenty of lounge chairs around it as well as a fitness area. Perhaps late September was not the season to enjoy the pool, but it was open, it was clean, and it was tempting!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo