“Great value in downtown Minneapolis”

Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites
Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed May 19, 2009

My partner and I just returned from a 5 night stay at this Best Western.

We were in an extremely comfortable suite for approximately $110.00/night
, which is an incredible deal for the level of comfort, amenities and service
we received. The other value is the $7/daily parking rate, which is less than
half the amount charged by most hotels in downtown Minneapolis.

The property includes a heated pool, adequate gym and a restaurant which
served the most delicious pancakes I've ever eaten! Complimentary internet
service and 10pm freshly baked chocolate chip cookies are lagniappe. Our suite
was roomy, had a modernized bathroom and was equipped with a most comfortable king bed.

The location is excellent, a three block walk to Nicollet Mall. We were disappointed
with downtown Minneapolis, which was under massive roadwork reconstruction.
However, the hotel was convenient to the lovely lakes which dot the Minneapolis-St.
Paul metro area.

Some detractors comment that the hotel is "dated." Certainly, it is not a trendy
or glitzy property. However, for the value and amenities it offers, this property definitely fit our budget and comfort level.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 10, 2009

My daughter and I were staying overnight so she could do some testing at the University and celebrate my birthday. She wanted to pay for the overnight as a birthday present to me. She called ahead and asked for cost of room and all other charges. They totalled just under $130. Being a student and on a tight budget, she was careful to ask this. Upon checkout, the hotel charged $119.00 AND $184.50, two separate charges to her debit card, which in turn overdrew her checking account and created 4 overdrafts at $36.00 each. It was explained that the $184.50 consisted of the room rate of $119.00 and a deposit in case we used the phone or didn't pay for room service. They never would acknowledge they made the two charges totalling almost $325.00! They also refused to adjust and credit back overdraft charges-- General Manager blew us off and told my daughter to go to her bank and have the manager reverse the charges. Bank only reverses charges for THEIR mistakes. Sent complaint to Better Business Bureau and Best Western Headquarters. BBB got the same response "too bad, so sad" routine. Customer Service never responded. So next step is to the District Attorney to find out what authorizes them to make these mistakes and not be responsible.

• Stayed: October 2008
    • Check in / front desk
nocodemus2, General Manager at Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2009

This review does a disservice to Trip Advisor users by inaccurately portraying the manner in which the Best Western Normandy Inn & Suites handles customer complaints. We acknowledge our mistakes and view them as additional opportunities to provide guests with satisfactory service.

Were the hotel to make an error in the processing of a guest's payment, we would gladly pay for overdraft charges resulting from such an error. If the Better Business Bureau ever were to find that a guest had a valid complaint with us, we would abide by that judgement.

Best Western Customer Care replies to guest complaints 100% of the time. On the date of the writing of this response,01/14/09, this hotel did not have an open file regarding any customer complaint

Reviewed December 15, 2008

Stayed for the Iowa-Minnesota football game. Great location, plenty of tailgators. Fun atmosphere for all the fans staying there. Rooms were large with comfortable beds. Can't complain about this stay.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 29, 2008

my stay was perfectly fine here--this is not a glitzy place like the HIlton a few blocks away, but certainly a cut above your average Days Inn experience. the decor is old-world charm, which may come across as "dated." the staff seemed perfectly friendly and helpful. my room was not cramped (not overly large either), and overlooked the swimming pool/atrium. the king size bed was extremely comfortable, as was the duvet-style bedding.

the location is an easy walk to the main drag to the west (three blocks to marquette)--you can connect to the skyway in about 1 1/2 blocks. it's about three blocks south of the government center light rail stop, so it's very convenient from the airport if your luggage is managable.

i had dinner in the fancy restaurant here one evening--attentive staff (then again, it wasn't busy!) and delicious food. the fresh-from-the-oven popover (instead of rolls before the entree) was to DIE for.

it's very quiet, you may end up being the only person in front of the gas log fireplace in the lobby. maybe that's a function of the time of year? warm cookies and milk served at 10 pm! my only complaint--only very basic cable service on the TVs, so i couldn't get my project runway fix.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 18, 2008

i went their and since i'm a young man thats was not there for business or looked like I had alot of money they didn't seem to care about me at all. i made reservations and drove 3 hours to stay there but then once i got there they said i couldn't stay because i wasn't 21. they never told me i had to be 21 to get a room when i talked to them on the phone and reserved my room, they waited for me to drive all the way there to tell me, and then kick me to the curb with nowhere to stay. we also had to pay parking for the 2 minutes that we were there not getting a room. we drove 3 hours to go to a hotel we couldn't stay at and we were charged 7 dollars for parking even though we weren't there longer then five minutes.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 4, 2008

I stayed at this hotel recently for an overnight business trip. I chose this hotel because of the price I got and the downtown location. As stated in the title of this review, the hotel is a mixed bag, and I think I might try a different hotel on my next business visit.

The hotel is quite old and disorganized. There are at least 3 or 4 buildings that are all connected, but you have to go to your specific elevator in order to access your unit. It seems they have done some renovation (Landmarc restaurant, and some corridors) but there are plenty of plublic areas that require renovation. The room was renovated and mine was generally clean. The bathroom was definetly upgraded and was clean as well and the shower had good water pressure. The bed was fine, but nothing special. The unit entrance door did not have enough weight, and you had to make sure you closed the door after you entered and/or left your room.

I had breakfast at the restaurant, the Landmarc, and it was good and typical price for hotel food. The location appears to be good, and just at the cusp of the CBD of Minneapolis. The hotel was fine, but I will probably try another hotel before I come back to this one.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 28, 2008

We had a nice large suite, with two TVs for only $125 @ night. Had to cancel one night late because of airport problems, and they took it off the bill. The hotel is very clean in top condition, great bed & shower. Very nice workout gym, and a decent restaurant. It is located walking distance to the Metrodome, the light rail, and Government Plaza area.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business