“Warm Normandy Inn on a cold day”

Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites
Ranked #7 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
“Warm Normandy Inn on a cold day”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

We had a very pleasant stay at the Normandy Inn with excellent staff, clean and comfortable rooms and a great breakfast at the Normandy Kitchen. The hotel is convenient to downtown attractions, especially the Walker Art Gallery, go there to see the Jim Hodges retrospective

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

1 Thank 481annek
Jeff J, Manager at Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Thank you for selecting Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites on your latest visit to beautiful, and cold, Minneapolis! We appreciate your positive comments about our excellent staff, clean and comfortable guest rooms, convenient location and our classic Normandy Kitchen Cafe & Bar! We hope you get a chance to come visit us again soon at The Normandy Inn!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
kansas city, United States
Reviewed March 3, 2014

this is my place to stay while in minneapolis, have stayed here for three years, they treat me like family--family they like!! few properties can compare, the food is fantastic, front desk can take care of anything. they know my name……this is what i judge others by…..

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business

1 Thank Michael Y
Thank you for posting another fantastic 5 star review of our property! We really appreciate your repeat business and loyalty to The Normandy Inn & Suites and Normandy Kitchen Cafe & Bar! We look forward to seeing you again soon so we have a chance to provide our genuine hospitality again!
Fort Dodge, United States
Reviewed February 25, 2014

This hotel far exceeded all expectations. Free shuttle service makes it easy to get to and from where you want to go, without worrying about driving in an unfamiliar area. Free milk and cookies served every night at 10:00PM made for a fantastic bedtime snack. Very friendly staff. Beautiful public areas and rooms. Would absolutely recommend.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

1 Thank Victoria S
Jeff J, Manager at Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for selecting Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites on your latest visit to beautiful downtown Minneapolis! We appreciate your 5 star review and positive comments about our complimentary shuttle, cookies and milk, friendly staff, and beautiful guestrooms! We hope you get a chance to come visit us again!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed February 24, 2014

My husband and I needed a break from the daily grind and we decided to stay at the Normandy Inn in downtown Minneapolis to enjoy a romantic weekend and eat at some nice restaurants. We booked on line and headed out into the wintry mess that is our fair state at this time of year. Upon arrival at the Normandy, we were greeted warmly and were upgraded to a king suite due to being Best Western Diamond members. That was a lovely surprise! We were struck by the homey retro lobby with the lovely fireplace and 1940's jazz playing softly all around. When we got to our 3rd floor suite, we found it very nicely cleaned and kept. The bed was deliciously comfortable and we had a nice view of the city skyline. Some folks might not like the retro feel of this hotel, preferring to see it as "outdated," but I found it quaint and charming. The ambiance was purposefully "rocked" by the owner who plays only old-time, classy music on the sound system in common areas and also plays classic movies on the TV in the lounge. If anybody reading is a Dr. Who fan, you'll get a kick out of my husband's joke about the hallways at the Normandy. When we were walking to our suite for the first time, he looked around and said, "Praise him." I laughed and instantly knew he was referencing a Dr. Who episode that took place in a retro hotel where a minotaur was devouring people. At any rate, the time-warp feel is something you either like or don't like. We like it. This hotel is convenient to a lot of great places downtown. The food in the restaurant is above average and decently priced (slightly high but not bad). If you get room service, you'll get fleeced on the prices though. They have the same stuff in the hotel restaurant at 30% cheaper. Also, if you get room service they add a $3.00 charge and also add a 17% gratuity. I'm sorry, but I'm not paying $8 for French Onion Soup and then another $3 and 17%. Nope. Just go downstairs and get it for $5. One thing I love about this hotel is that the common areas are very comfy and inviting, with lovely cushy leather furniture and tucked away spots to use your cell phone or tablet. The fireplace lounge area is perfect for catching up on e-mail and there are several free computers to use in the lobby as well. Very nice! My husband and I loved the bedroom in our suite and spent a whole day lounging in the super-comfy king bed, watching movies and cuddling. Then it was up for a steamy shower in the big, spacious stone-and-glass enclosure with the rainwater shower head before hitting the sumptuous downtown restaurants and clubs (if splurging, hit Cosmos at 601 Graves Hotel for an amazing dinner, followed by the Dakotah Jazz Lounge! Spendy evening, but OH so worth it!). Decadent! In the lounge you will find a small but decent beer selection, friendly staff, and an equally small but nice whiskey selection, including a few 18 year old single malts (10 and 12 as well). The mixed drinks are adequate too. Prices are hotel-average. The only issue we had at all was that on the last day, the shower water wouldn't heat up and I had to take a rather uncomfortable, blue-toed dip to get clean. I didn't report the problem because it was our last day anyway. I must say that this stay was super affordable for a downtown hotel that isn't grungy. We just loved it. We felt refreshed and pampered...just the break we needed. I'd like to point out, though, that we are very practical people who don't expect the best of everything in life. If you are accustomed to the highest of the high, or to being catered to like royalty at every single turn, this isn't your hotel. This hotel is for people who like good service and an upscale, homey feel for a very good price. It is for folks who are OK with 3 to 4 star food and above average service. This is not 5 star, and it doesn't bill itself as 5 star. It's just a nice, comfy, cushy little corner of the universe with lots of Sinatra and a bit of Mornay sauce.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Charles And Kri... B
Jeff J, Manager at Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you for selecting Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites on your latest visit to beautiful downtown Minneapolis! I really enjoyed reading your detailed review and appreciate your many positive comments. We hope to see you again next time you need a romantic weekend away!
Youngstown
Reviewed February 24, 2014

there was three in my party the hotel is centrally located to every thing we needed. an extra plus they had a free shuttle to the University of Minnesota. The suite was excellent as well as the staff.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for selecting Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites on your latest visit to beautiful downtown Minneapolis! We appreciate your 5 star review and your wonderful comments about our perfect location, complimentary shuttle service, classic and comfortable suites, and excellent staff! We were glad to be part of your college search and hope to see you again soon!
PinchOnTheGo
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Nice ambiance. The room was in newer condition and décor. It was nice and quiet. Good restaurant on premises. For a major downtown area, and when comparing to other properties of equal quality (I live here and have stayed at other properties downtown) I think this property is very good value. The only two negative comments I had were that I wish the lighting was brighter (it was subdued and good for romance but I prefer better lighting when I am staying somewhere by myself) and that the cable channel choices (Direct TV) were really lacking.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for selecting Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites on your latest visit to beautiful downtown Minneapolis! We are glad you enjoyed our reasonable prices, quiet and comfortable guestrooms and fantastic Normandy Kitchen Cafe & Bar! We have hand selected 46 of the most popular television channels including movie channels which most are in high definition. We appreciate your review and hope to see you again soon at The Normandy Inn!
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 21, 2014

I came up to Minnesota to check out the U. I did not expect anything of this hotel; I read both bad & good reviews and it seemed to be the typical run of the mill Best Western.

Upon arrival, I was greeted by a friendly front desk associate.

I was taken aback by how much charm and personality the hotel has. My room was delightful and spacious. The bed was very comfortable. They put out cookies and milk at 10PM which is delicious. Also, they let me use their white baby grand which was a treat.

The shuttle service was also pretty good; they transported me to the U during a snowstorm & did so in a timely manner.

The hotel is close to Skyway, downtown and the rail; a good central location.

If I have to stay in the downtown Minneapolis area, I'd definitely choose this hotel again.

P.S. Mia is an asset to your hotel. She was the sweetest and friendliest of the front desk associates; she was a joy to chat with!

Room Tip: If you're wary of the noise, I'd request a room not too close to the pool area.