“Not Bad for the Price”

Ranked #8 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Duluth, Minnesota
“Not Bad for the Price”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I only stayed at this hotel overnight and didn't use many amenities, but the bed was comfortable, staff were nice and the parking was cheap, which is a plus for downtown. I'd stay here again, but prefer a location more in the heart of downtown.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Abby S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
WINNIPEG
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This older, historic hotel offered a great price and location downtown. We loved the sitting area in our room. Our bathroom had been upgraded and our room included a fridge and microwave, as well. A great place to stay if visiting for a few days.

The hotel is very close to the Nicolett Mall area and many restaurants and bars. The hotel lounge is small, but friendly. The fitness room is very small and found in the basement of the hotel. Parking is reasonably priced for downtown. This Best Western does not offer a continental breakfast like many other BW's. Staff is very friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sitting areas: sofa bed and chairs. Ours was pool side and quite large.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank dakbail
Coal Valley, Illinois
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I stayed at the Normandy for 9 days whiie participating in a Road Scholar program. My first encounter with Joseph, the manager, was when he opened the bottle of wine I brought from
home. The next morning he ran up several flights of stairs to find me a newspaper. My traveling companion ended up in the Emergency Room. It was dark when I left the hospital.
I called the Normandy and it was Joseph who came to pick me up. I was greeted by name every day. I can't say enough about the service at the Normandy Inn. I may switch from Hilton to Best Western!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Kathleen D
Paris, France
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Overall, the hotel was pretty decent. I was a bit frustrated when we first arrived that the front desk did not tell how us how to get up to our room and there are different elevators to get to different parts of the same floor so that was somewhat frustrating. The parking there was very affordable ($7/day I think) and I enjoyed the location, it was easy to get to Univ of M and around the city. The internet code that was given to me was the old one so I had some trouble but once they gave me the correct code it was pretty consistent.
The biggest issue I had was that our room had a very distinct smell, almost like a nursing home. I tried to air the room one afternoon all day but it didn't solve the problem. You couldn't notice it once you were in the room for over an hour but every time you entered the room there would be this smell....never figured out what it could be. Otherwise the beds were comfortable, the place clean and the bathroom was fine.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chonner
Flagstaff, Arizona
Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a convention and we were actually moved to this hotel by a housing bureau. We were truly pleased with the friendly staff. Joe at the front desk took care of special requests and knew us by name. He had a great sense of humor and was very helpful with directions. Our various requests were handled quickly and courteously by all the staff. The rooms were clean and the warm chocolate chip cookies and cold milk at 10pm wwere a special treat. We would stay here again and it was one of the best stays we've had in Minneapolis for our yearly convention there.

Room Tip: it was nice to only have 4 floors.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank mhansencmc
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed August 15, 2012

This is a review on our second stay here, which was identical to the first. This place is no frills, but our rooms have been very clean and the staff is always friendly and attentive. I would stay here again no doubt. We usually stay here when we can't get a cheap enough priceline last minute.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thunder Bay Canada
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This property is 4 easy blocks to the pedestrian mall, with $7 parking and great staff. The rooms were updated and large although the rest of the property was dated. Everything in and around the hotel was very clean. This hotel was great value and we will be back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple