“A little touch of hometown friendly with a lotta class”

Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites
Ranked #9 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Myself and a friend stayed at this hotel on May 23rd, 2012. The location was the main reason we chose this, plus another friends' recommendation. We were pleasantly pleased with the "European like" flair to this hotel, but the real bonus was all of the employees. Everyone seemed to really enjoy their jobs, and were always helpful in all that we asked, or needed. The rooms were large and comfortable, with a lounging chair/ottoman, desk with a very comfortable chair to work at, and a nice bathroom area. The beds were to die for, very comfortable, clean, neat, and had a nice supply of lovely bedding. We slept like babies. Quiet, considering we had just came back from a Nickelback concert! We had no issues with excessive room or hallway noise. We missed the chance to use the pool and hot tub, but loved our stay so much, that we are coming back again in July with even more friends...we'll be sure to hit the water fun at that time.
We were disappointed that the lounge was not open at 10:30 PM when we came back on the FREE shuttle ...(yes people...direct delivery to the Target Center!)...but perhaps this was because it was on a Wed night? (we did not see the cookies and milk as afore mentioned in previous reviews...so again, perhaps the night or timing??)
I did suggested to the hotel for events in the area, they may want to make an exception and leave the lounge open till midnight on evenings as such. Many folks were coming back and complaining of this same issue, and I think the hotel would have benefited from some extra revenue.
We had breakfast in the historic restaraunt the next morning..pricey but worth it. Served with alot of care and pride, the meals were wonderful. I had the eggs benedict and my friend had the skillet that was offered. Both were excellent.Coffee strong and delicious...exactly what the Doctor ordered after Nickelback! (WINK!)
The parking lot was a bit of a nightmare...and was not included in our stay. It was an additional $7.00 to use it and I felt for the price they charged for rooms, this should be included for free. We were stressed in finding a spot, and finally got the last one available...so my advice would be, if you are going to stay here,,,get here early so you can park and use this lot....Would I stay again..? In a heart beat. Nice location and a great option for singles, families or couples. Enjoy!

Room Tip: See the above review
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank RedneckCowgirl
Write a ReviewReviews (1,415)

Reviewed May 22, 2012

This place really suits my needs. Right off the interstate, it has an indoor pool, jacuzzi, and sauna. Really close to down town. Friendly staff and affordable clean spacious rooms. I will always stay here while visiting the twin cities!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mike37835
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I had a great time at the Normandy Inn & Suites. The beds were comfortable and the rooms had everything that you would need in them. The pool area had the pool, hot tub, sauna, shower, and seperate bathroom, as well as seating around the pool. It was a great area to relax. Also, they served fresh baked cookies and milk every night. I have never heard of another hotel doing that, so I thought it was a nice added touch. The hotel was in a great area and was in walking distance to lots of shops and restaurants. The parking was only $7 a day, which is about a quarter of the cost of parking in other areas. The staff was awesome. They were all very friendly and helpful and it seemed like they really care about you enjoying your stay. I cannot say enough good things!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Pleasant surprise! I had a 2-day business seminar in the downtown area and did not want to pay the otherwise exorbitant prices at other downtown hotels in the area. This hotel turned out to be a great find with a very reasonable 5 block walk to my meeting destination. Daily parking was more than half the rate of other hotels in this area. Pros: Newly updated rooms and bathrooms, very clean, friendly staff. Cons: May be a little noisy for light sleepers, poor WiFi connection, microwave/fridge only available with room upgrade.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 14, 2012

If you're like me and decide to have a brain aneurysm while on work travel in Minneapolis, well, your loved ones can stay at the Best Western Normandy Inn, which is just a block away from HCMC. With proof, they offer a substantial discount to friends and family of HCMC patients. You really can't beat this - Minneapolis hotels for some reason are normally quite high and there are very few hotels close to the hospital. The hotel is also quite close to the Metrodome.

They offer kindly Minnesota service and an overall very nice hotel. The property has nice rooms, is very clean and well maintained throughout, and has a number of common areas to just relax and take it easy. There's a coin laundry in the basement, plus a nice pool with jacuzzi. There's also a very nice, upscale restaurant connected to the hotel, and if you like, there are many, many restaurants of all varieties just a few blocks away.

The hotel staff took good care of my sister, mother, stepfather and girlfriend while I was the hospital, and took great care of me when I got out. Try to stay here - the rates are reasonable and there's a vibe of calm generosity that will put you at ease.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank 351C
Reviewed May 13, 2012

The hotel is recently remodeled (looks like work is ongoing, but didn't bother us) and it looks great. The room was nicely done and even though it overlooked the pool it was quiet once the pool hours concluded. The wireless worked well, the shower was great, the bed was comfortable, the staff were very nice (even the maintenance guys) and it's a great location for walking anywhere in the downtown area. If I was forced to come up with something to improve the experience, the only recommendation I could give is that there should be two light fixtures over the bathroom sink instead of one.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bugs4cy
Reviewed May 12, 2012

We needed to be in Minneapolis to help set up a fund raiser for the Simpson homeless shelter there. We checked in about 2:30 on Sunday May 6th and left on Thursday May 10th. We got a great rate, and because our room had a problem with a wireless connection we were up graded to a suite. The rooms were very clean, and tatefully done. We had our daughter and son in law there twice for a beverage and some visiting and the extra room made it much more fun. The staff at the front desk said a smiling hi to me every time I passed by or had another question. It was about 6 blocks to the Hotel where the fund raiser was held, and the walk was fun every time for my wife who was on the set up committe. I was in the hotel making phone calls for work. The coffee was great every morning from the hotel dining room and the staff was very attentive during meals. I walked about a mile every day and found some fun places for sandwiches. The four of us went to Hell's Kitchen and The Keys for dinner and both were fun and had great food at reasonable prices. I used the pool, jacizzi, and sauna at the hotel, and that area is clean as a whistle. I have traveled on business trips for fifty years, so I have seen good, bad, and indifferent hotels. This one is way better than average, well located, and worth my recommendation.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family