“Great hotel, staff not so friendly”

Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites
Ranked #9 of 50 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Wonderful, clean hotel in location close to convention center and Nicollet Ave. I wish the staff had been nicer. From the moment they realized I booked through hotels.com instead of directly through them, I was written off. When I booked, I asked about tax exemption since I was traveling for work and my non-profit employer would be reimbursing me. Hotels.com said to mention it upon check in and the hotel would take care of it. When I did so, I was condescendingly told that they were unable to do that and that I should automatically know how this works since I hadn't paid them directly. It's fine that they were unable to remove the tax but their tone was rude and uncalled for.

Reviewed October 30, 2011

After staying there several times 20 years ago, it was great to return to this motorlodge and find that it still has the charm and services it had back then. The rooms are modern, comfortable, clean and quiet. The place still has all the amenities including a nice bar (thanks for the hospitality Keely!) and restuarant, and you won't find a better location if you're driving and staying in downtown Mpls. And you can't beat the reasonable rates.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 26, 2011

This hotel defines retro-chic. When I walked in from the parking lot the first thing that struck me was the shine on the waxed floors and this attention to detail throughout the hotel surprised and delighted me throughout my stay. The check-in staff were efficient and I was directed to my room with a king bed. The room was immaculate and the bed made up of soft linens that invited me to snuggle up. My bath had been completely remodeled with tumbled marble shower that is hard to find at hotels three times this price. The bar was particularly inviting with a warm ambience that left me with a relaxed glow. The staff throughout my stay was attentive and competent. It is hard to find a hotel like this in America. It is a jewel shined to perfection

Room Tip: My room was #305 -- great with flat screen tv's and tumbled marble bath.
Reviewed October 18, 2011

The hotel is dated but clean. The staff were really friendly and helpful. Just a short walk from shops and restaurants. My only real complaint would be that our room didn't have curtains or blinds to block out the light - so we were woken early.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Nocodemus, Owner at Best Western Plus The Normandy Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2011

Thank you for selecting The Normandy Inn & Suites as your preferred hotel in Minneapolis, and for sharing your helpful comments.

You commented that you did not have a black-out shade in your room. Please know that each room at The Normandy has two pull chains at the window. One is for a shear curtain, which lets some light in, and the other is for a black-out shade that will block out all outside light. I think we can improve service to our guests by providing more information regarding how our window shades function.

We look forward to having you as our guest again. Thank you.

Reviewed October 16, 2011

The Normandy is a nice historic hotel close to downtown -- just a few blocks from the Government Plaza Light Rail Station, a short walk if you come from the airport and want to use public transport. Convenient rooms, large flat screen tv, free wireless, large indoor pool area, very friendly and helpful staff. No breakfast included but cookies and milk late at night -- a superb treat if you're there for a conference and work long hours ... Another short walk to the downtown Nicolett Mall area and to the convention center. I would definitely stay there again next time.

1  Thank GermanTraveller2009
Reviewed October 7, 2011

Stayed here for a couple of nights and what a lovely property ! The staff was so helpful and there was a van to take us the convention center. The rooms were like those at the Hyatt we stayed in before, but the cost is less. Great beds, tv's, and spacious bathrooms. Our room was clean and comfortable. Warm cookies and milk before bed. I didn't think there were hotels like this anymore. I have stayed at much more expensive properties before that did not have all the personal touches this one did to make us feel welcome. As an aside, eat at the restaurant ! We had the evening special that consists of a 3 course dinner with cornish game hen, chocolate mousse pie and appetizer that was scrumptuous ! Most hotel restaurants are so-so, but this was truly wonderful. Hats off to the owners of the Normandy ! When we return to Minneapolis this will be our #1 choice.

Reviewed October 5, 2011

My daughter and I stayed at this location in 2006, when we were checking out UM. I have vague recollections of a poorly maintained parking lot and a shabby elevator, but nothing memorably good or bad--it was blandly functional. This past weekend, I was taking furniture to her new apartment and needed a one-night stay in the Twin Cities. I accidentally picked the same hotel we'd visited in 2006.

What a change! The interior decor is calming neutral colors and lighting, but with real personality. The staff was friendly, helpful, and polite. The guest floors have doors between the elevator lobby and the rooms (no dinging, even though we stayed in the room closest to the elevator--a room I usually try to avoid.) I forgot to bring my suit, but the pool in a softly lit covered courtyard looked SO inviting.

And the restaurant! Again, we ate there just by happenstance--it was a "oh, let's just stay here" decision. Wonderful service, a wine list with Viognier (my favorite) by the glass, two dinner specials (coriander encrusted grouper with tomato-black bean salsa, and roasted game hen with cherry glaze) that were enchantingly good, served with hot popovers. Breakfast, too, was delicious--I love it when I'm offered thoughtful, healthy choices such as hash browns or tossed salad with my omelet.

We know where we're staying next time we visit our daughter!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family