“Nice Downtown Hotel”

Ranked #7 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Whitefish, Montana
“Nice Downtown Hotel”
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I spent one night at the Normandy on business. The staff was very helpful and my room was large and well maintained. I wasn't sure what i was going to get for the price, but i was very satisfied. We had a nice breakfast in the dining room before heading out. The next time I have business in downtown Minneapolis, i would stay at the Normandy again. Also, the hotel was very close to lots of great restaurants!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Mount Laurel, NJ
Reviewed September 11, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for two night in late August for a short, city getaway. We were guided to this hotel from the good reviews and reasonable price. Having been disappointed in hotels and resorts before, it is always an inside-joke kind of adventure when we go away and take a "chance" on a hotel where we don't have first hand recommendations. We were both very pleased with the location, price, and cleanliness of this hotel. We arrived much earlier than check-in and were able to quickly enter our room. The room was spacious and had a nice view of the indoor pool and hot tub. The hotel was quiet at night, and was conveniently located near a train stop and other tourist locations.
The only down side was that our air conditioner didn't pump as much cold air as are used to at home. Since we were only staying two nights, and weren't that bent out of shape about it, we decided not to complain. We are sure that, even if we did, they would have taken care of the problem. Another slight down side we had is more personal in nature and not the fault of the hotel. Liking a late night snack when traveling, there weren't many convenience stores within walking distance that would have provided a cheap pint of ice cream or pack of cookies. The was a Walgreens within about a 10 minutes walk from the hotel, but neither of us felt like "just seeing" if it were open late at night. There were snack and drink machines in the hotel, but for people who like to eat on vacation, they really weren't hitting home.
Overall, I would stay here again (and bring my own snacks!).

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 7, 2011

I am a frequent business traveler (over 100 nights per year) and this is one of the better values in the downtown Minneapolis area. It's about $100 less than the other downtown hotels, mainly because (1) it's a bit out of the way from all the action (e.g. Nicolett Mall, Target Field, etc.), though still within walking distance, (2) it's old and (3) it's a Best Western.

Regarding the "old" comment - the hotel has been renovated so it does feel charming and historical. But the "oldness" still comes out sometimes - for example, there are 3 different elevators to 3 different sides of the hotel depending on which room you have.

The single occupancy rooms are what you would expect at a Best Western - a bit old and layed out like a motel. However, I now stay in the King Suite, which appear to be updated and new - for an extra $20 night, it's a far better deal.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank dadofgirliegirls
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 6, 2011

I was in town to meet my girlfriend's family for the first time and I was very happy and comfortable staying at the Normandy. The decor in the hotel is tudor style, and it kind of smells like a church given the amount of wood in the building. Like everything else in minneapolis, it is preserved incredibly well and evokes the sincerity of the city. The food at the restaurant was great and the chef and the bartender happily fielded special requests, room service was fast and efficient, fresh chocolate cookies served at 10pm were great, and the pool and hottub were a nice touch.

One piece of advice to the owner/manager, put curtains on the windows in the rooms facing the east. The sun can be like a laser burning through the shade in the morning. Other than that, the beds are comfortable, and the place is very clean. A great place.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Little Falls, Minnesota
Reviewed August 29, 2011

I was going to be coming to Minneapolis for a 4 day weekend and the hotel I usually stay at was torn down. So I had to find a new hotel. The Clock tower of the hotel is something I saw from where I lived in downtown, And always wanted to stay there. SInce my stay this weekend I have found a new hotel to stay at. The Hotel in all is very charming. VERY nice rooms. We had an oversized room. Very NICE!! Didn't feel cramped. Was nice to have the Frig to keep things cold.Bathroom were so nice.. The beds are wonderfull. I usually have a hard time falling asleep at hotels because of the hard beds.These beds are nice!! Employyees were friendly and helpfull. Our phone wasn't working but after letting the front desk know it had been replaced when we got back that evening. I had read nice things about the Normandy Kitchen but thought it was expensive so didn't eat there. I know downtown pretty good so was able to find other places to eat. It is in walking distance to get on Public transportation.Didn't use the pool but looked very nice.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank milady408
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Located downtown west which was a plus. Found it comfortable and extremely reasonable rates. Room facilities more than adequate and comfortable. Would recommend for couples as well as families. Nicely situated for sightseeing around the city.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Truckee, California
Reviewed August 25, 2011

I've stayed at The Normandy several times when making my way through the Twin Cities. Every time I check in, I ask myself if I've made a good decision in choosing the Normandy. I mean, it looks like it should reek of cigarette smoke and bourbon, but it doesn't. It seems like I should see polyester pantsuits at every turn, but I don't. For whatever reason, as funky as it is, the Normandy does it right.

I typically travel with my family, so I stay in the 1-bedroom suites. The beds are large and comfortable, and have a very homey, grandma's house feel to them. They somehow don't feel like a hotel bed, if that makes any sense. The sitting area is large enough to comfortably house my two kids, and the TV in both rooms is a huge plus.

For whatever reason, Minneapolis hasn't latched on to the boutique hotel craze (for better or for worse). Chambers is OK, but a little antiseptic. Graves seems like it's trying too hard, and really, it's too large to be considered "boutique" in the first place. So we are left with the Normandy. And that's not a bad thing.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family