“Great deal: luxury that fits your budget” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Westin Minneapolis
Ranked #21 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Twin Cities
“Great deal: luxury that fits your budget”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2010

This is a great value! We initially chose it because it was the cheapest hotel downtown, so when we walked inside we were blown away by the art deco styling and historical nod to the building's former life as a bank. Our room was very luxurious. I was pleasantly surprised by the natural food on the room service menu and my husband loved the big-screen TV, so we joked that we should just stay in all night watching movies and ordering room service. The next morning we asked the staff if the hotel was pretty empty, because it was so quiet all night and morning. They said they were 80% occupied. Amazing.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2010

This is one of the best westin's I've stayed at. I travel for business often and was pleasantly surprised. The location is great since it is right downtown and walking distance to plenty of restaurants and shops. The rooms are nice and contemporary. The staff was great. I had valet parking and left my bag in the car. Within 10 minutes of my call to guest services my bag was at my door. The personal wake up call from a real person was a nice touch. Also, you have got to try the great Thai restaurant Sawadee or Sawatee(can't remember the spelling). I would stay here again even though I'm sure there are less expensive hotels in the area but the service here makes it worth the money.

Cons:
The parking is expensive so park across the street. The hotel is a little stuffy but the staff are friendly and accomodating.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Overland Park, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2010

Check-in was quick and painless. The clerk who assisted us was friendly and helpful. As first-time guests at Westin, we were offered a complimentary room upgrade for enrolling in their free Preferred Guest program. Instead of a room looking out on a wall 6 feet away, we were relocated to a city view room on the 8th floor.

The room itself could have used a little work, but the view was fantastic. The bed was large and comfortable, decked out with plenty of pillows and a down comforter. The flat screen TV was fairly sizeable and worked great the few times we put it to use. The room's decor was pretty modern and simple (a desk and office chair, a couple of modern night stands afixed to the wall, and a large lounge chair), but it was definitely adequate for our needs. The bathroom was more than expected. Its size and cleanliness strongly complimented its features. The shower was a large walk-in featuring two (yes, two!) shower heads.

We had no major problems with the room, but like I said, it probably could have used a little work. The woodwork was coming off of the walls in a couple of spots and our lounge chair had some major stains on it. We just steered clear of it and for us, it wasn't a big deal. We were out of the room and out on the town as much as possible, and for that alone, the hotel was perfect for our needs! Located near amazing restaurants and a diverse array of nightlife, we couldn't have been happier with the location. To top it off, the Minneapolis skywalk system runs directly through the second floor of the hotel, so we could avoid those chilly northern nights as much as possible.

The rest of the hotel was pretty neat. The lobby features a huge bar and a modern lounge area. The hotel's wine room is located in a large remodeled bank vault near the elevators. Overall, the staff was great. We were quickly and helpfully assisted the few times we asked for information or directions to nearby locations.

We would definitely stay at the Westin Minneapolis again and recommend it to others as well. If you can overlook a few minor faults, the location, the price, and the helpfulness of the staff make this hotel much better than average!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2010

Impressive entrance. Nice rooms, well decorated, not especially large or striking. Predictably expensive ($13) wireless. Excellent location. Rooms have 2 doubles, not 2 queens.

The Happy Hour scene is hopping in Minneapolis. They advertise one at the Westin's lovely lounge bar, so we tried it. $5 for a glass of decent wine. Half price on select appetizers. But watch out, we asked which ones, our bartender pointed (precisely), we ordered, and learned at bill-paying time that ours wasn't included. We really enjoyed ourselves, but don't you hate getting ripped off?

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2010

Stayed at the Minneapolis Westin for a night in the city with my husband. I am a Starwood member and have stayed in many Westins across the country. This was not up to the standard of other Westins where I have stayed.

The room was relatively small, but fine for us for one night. The bathroom was awkward - could not stand at the mirror with the door open as there was not enough space to fit between the open door and the sink. The white chaise lounge/settee in the room was disgusting - obviously had been stained and not cleaned properly. I'm hoping it was red wine, but not sure! It was very loud on our floor. Could hear people talking in the rooms next door and when walking down the hallway. Heard doors slamming many times as well. The beds were comfortable (as always) and the room had all the usual amenities for a Westin. Oddly, we were never offered the key for the honor bar, even though we would not have used it. There was a second refrigerator in the room too, tucked underneath the writing desk. This seemed odd as well.

The valet parking was expensive - I think about $28, though it could have been more? Because we live in town, we knew to seek other options. Able to park all night in the adjacent parking ramp for a total of $5. Needless to say, the hotel staff did not inform me of this when I called to inquire about parking, as the website did not provide any information about options.

I will say the staff were friendly and efficient. No problems at all with the service. Had I not been to the Bank restaurant before, I would have been confused about check in, as the front desk is in a back corner of the large room and not signed properly for people who are not familiar with the space. The Bank restaurant is beautiful and it's fun to check out the old safe that now holds many of the wine selections.

In general, I would recommend this hotel, though would caution people that it does not provide the same experience as other (better) Westin hotels.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Eden Prairie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2010

I travel quite fequently and the beds at the Westin are one of the most comfortable beds I have slept in. I will be staying at this hotel again!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Mpls
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2010

The staff was top notch. Rachael was a great help. Room was fantastic and the Spicy Margaritas at Bank were great. I also wnat to thank Karin in House Keeping for returning my call so promptly about my missing keys.

Thanks