“Nice but they know how to charge”

The Westin Minneapolis
Ranked #20 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 9, 2009

I was staying in Minneapolis on business for one week and got a room after a recommendation from a colleague. The corporate rate ended up at around $150 per night - room only.

The hotel has a fabulous interior lobby and bar, thanks to the buildings previous use as a very well appointed bank (so that's where all the money goes!). All staff were very friendly and helpful, which is always good after two long flights.

Room was very nice, lovely bed, flat screen TV and shower - no complaints there.

The one complaint I did have was some of the incidental prices: $17 for a muffin, oatmeal and coffee (from the breakfast menu), around $30 per night for parking and some truly staggering prices for the mini-bar items.

To summarise: great staff, lovely decor, great location, but quite pricey for what you get.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Condo1000
Write a ReviewReviews (1,141)

Reviewed December 16, 2008

Before going to my company's holiday party. I had a special rate that needed a form and I was still waiting for my company to send the forms to the Westin. I let the front desk agent know that I did not have the form at the current time and let him know that I would present the form once I spoke to my manager. The agent then asked his manager to come speak to me and I explained my situation to the manager, and both the manager and the agent rolled their eyes at me and finally after 30-45 minutes of arguing they finally let me check into my room.

After the painful check in I arrived to find a poor excuse for a room, the room was tiny and dull, quiet unimpressive. All the employees were quiet rude to my wife and I, very disappointing for a starwood chain hotel.

For the amount I paid, I could've spent more to stay at the Graves or the W and it would've been worth the extra money.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank mz_unknown
Reviewed December 2, 2008

I had high expectations based on the ratings the hotel had been given. Things started out wonderfully, the entrance to the hotel is majestic with the high ceilings and woodwork. Although a bit confusing to get to the front desk (because you actually have to go around the bar to get there), check in was fast and pleasant.
Once in our room, I was delighted by the flat screen TV and new modern bathroom. The double showerhead lived up to expectations. The room décor was also modern and well done.
Things took a wrong turn from there. The view from our room definitely left something to be desired. Looking out our window, we had a great view of a vacated office with garbage and fast food bags everywhere. It might not have been so bad had the lights not been left on making it the only thing you could see at night.
I was also disappointed in the cleanliness of the room (there were cheerios left over on the floor beside the bed and I dropped something on the floor that rolled under the bed…very scary to say the least). Other slight annoyances were the size of the ice bucket (you couldn’t fit two bottles of pop in the bucket to chill because it was too small); and the fact that the second day we weren’t provided with lids for the coffee cups and were left with only decaf coffee. I was able to locate someone from housekeeping that had to go to another floor to get coffee.
Overall I think that the hotel worked for what we wanted, which was a place to stay close to the Metrodome that was reasonably priced. Had we paid the posted rate for this hotel, I think I might have felt cheated and would have walked away unsatisfied.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Whatabout6
Reviewed November 13, 2008

This is the second time I have used the priceline.com website name your price (but you don't get to select the hotel) hotel finding tool. If you only care about my summary, overall, this hotel met and exceeded our expectations. Read on for more details.

As accurately depicted in other reviews you might read, entering the main lobby looks a little mysterious as there is a lobby restaurant immediately in front of you. Real simple, turn to your right and walk around the side of the restaurant to the back wall for the very discrete check-in desk. Some other reviews make this seem like a big deal....it is not. The low key check-in desk compliments the classy atmosphere of the lobby. As an aside, this trip is a regular one for me and my wife and this time, we opted to use the Light Rail Line from the airport to downtown. If you opt for this mode of transportation (I highly recommend, more detail below), you can skip the main lobby all together and enter from the low key side entrance (go in the main lobby entrance once to get the full effect) which might be 150 steps from deboarding the train. Check-in was quick and courteous, the hotel staff member even showing the way to elevators and onroute to the elevator, we were greeted by another hotel staff member who welcomed us to the hotel. A nice touch. There is a business services area with internet access (I assume pay as you go as I did not use it) right in the open area outside the elevators.

A quick trip to the 11th floor and we arrived at our room. It was a corner room. Since it was a corner and top floor, it had high (maybe 20ft) celings and windows on two walls. There was the heavenly king bed on one side, with an ample work area for you plug in your computer, 2 chairs with ottoman, and then a big TV on the wall and large set of drawers for your stuff and a fully stocked mini bar. The bathroom was huge, with a huge shower featuring 5 shower heads. The shower has a glass door and as some have pointed out, the door leaks. It is not defective, it is a design flaw as the water runs down the inside of the door as you shower and under the door. I suppose it could be an installation flaw (if you installed the threshold of the shower on a slight angle into the shower it may stop the leak). However, unlike some of the other reviews making it sound like they were going to get flooded out of the room and have to build an boat to survive, this is NOT a big deal. Your bathroom has lots of extra towels. Simply put an extra towel on the floor in front of the door and all you end up with is a wet towel.....not a crisis and not an inconvenience. The bathroom is fully equipped with toiletries, lots of towels etc.

About the climate control in the room. Some reviews make it sound like the temperature flucuates wildly as it is on a motion sensor that turns off the heat or cooling while you are away or while you sleep and that it is a huge issue. Yes, it does seem to shut off if you leave, however, when you return, it comes back on and the room temperature was back to nice and cool within a couple of minutes. At night, we found if you turn it down a couple of degrees when you go to bed, it cools your room and by morning after it shut off in the night you will find that you are up a couple of degrees (back to what you had it set at before you went to bed) in air temperature....perfectly comfortable. I suppose in extremely hot or cold weather outside, this may be more of an issue but certainly was not an issue in November.

Other than having a couple of drinks at the bar in the lobby we did not eat at the restaurant so I cannot give you feedback on the food. Service at the bar was good, bar tender was attentive and pleasant.

With respect to logistics, as I mentioned, we opted to take the train from the airport. I will never rent a car in Minny if I am staying downtown again and specifically the Westin. The train is clean, safe and effiicent (and environmentally friendly) and drops you off basically behind the Westin on 5th Ave. Get off the training, walk back over to Marquette Ave, go south on Marquette and as I mentioned above, deke in the side door of the Westin (entrance is on Marquette) to skip the lobby experience or for your first entrance to get the full lobby experience, walk a little further to 6th Avenue. It takes all of under 1 min from the train to the entrance on Marquette and under 2 min to the main entrance on 6th. I did not time these....my point being, it is very convenient to take the Light Rail Train. If you take it, your exit coming from airport is Nicolette Mall and takes about 24 minutes. The same train going in the opposite direction back towards the airpor will go beyond the airport and take you to the Mall of America in just under 30 mintues. I cannot emphasis enough the convenience (and savings, parking at Westin is expensive, as well as your rental car). There are a ton of nice restaurants all within 500m of the hotel, everything from high end like Morton's and Murray's (a local traditional high end steak house....awesome food in nostalgic decor) to standard roadhouse type restaurants. Lots of upscale shopping within walking distance around the corner on Nicolette Mall.

I cannot say enough positive things about the experience staying at the Westin. everything from the hotel, the train, and the food and shopping within walking distance.

If you want a negative here you go. The internet is $12.95 per day and in this day and age and especially in a high end hotel like the Westin, this should be free with your room like almost every other hotel on the planet.

Hope that helps you.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Todd C
Reviewed November 6, 2008

Reserved a block of rooms at the Westin for my wedding which included a discounted room for the bride and groom. Overall our guests were very happy with their rooms; beds are wonderful and double shower heads were great. I had a two room suite that was quite large but a majority of the room was hallway (ie useless space).

My issue came on the day of the wedding when I left my work Blackberry on the desk in the room, when I came back it was gone. When I initially dealt with the Westin about it they searched the room after we left and claimed they would speak to whoever serviced our room, then I never heard from them again. Basically I just got the "tough luck" response from management.

I hate having to say this about my hometown but clearly they don't hire the most upstanding employees. Please lock up everything possible in the in-room safe if you're staying here.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2008

This redeveloped bank has been very well renovated as a Westin-standard downtown hotel, with all the in-room amenities one could expect (including a big flat screen and the yummy Westin bed) in a great downtown location and with exceptionally friendly concierge staff.

The only beef I have with the place is their desire for ancillary revenue--the breakfast is very expensive, the 'unwind' evening drink was a $9 wine flight, pretentious and hardly welcoming, and the internet service wasn't cheap either. Breakfast is a bit of a pain on Sunday when the bagel shop across the street was closed--ended up going to the excellent FireLake at the Radisson. Still, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, and the atmosphere--despite some of the pricey addons--is still excellent.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 20, 2008

Why does the westin have to be so bland? To add to it, they made mistakes like crazy during our stay. First they weren't able to check us in on time, then the internet wasn't working, then they screwed up the room service THREE times. I generally don't have these issues with Westins (although I've had the internet thing happen before), so maybe they were just having a bad weekend. I understand the "safe neutrality" they're perhaps taking with the decor at the Westin chain, but when I stay in a hotel I'd like something with character. They've even managed to make the huge old bank restaurant (where I used to bank) seem bland with big chunky furniture. I do love the pillows and beds at Westins though. I am on the verge of buying those long thin round ones for home.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple