“Good hotel, not a very convenient location”

The Westin Minneapolis
Ranked #21 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles, California
“Good hotel, not a very convenient location”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Hotel was clean, and the rooms are very good. My only complaint about the rooms, which seems universal from hotels built before the 2000's: no convenient outlets by the bed in my room. Which means my cell phone / alarm clock had the charge across the room on my luggage. good way to not hit the snooze button i guess.

Also, please note that the dining options in the area is limited and the hotel restaurant is quite expensive. The minneapolis skyway system seems to close down around 7 PM (give or take... depending on the business that occupies that building), so your dining choices later in the evening are going to be limited to the hotel or walking down nicolette mall. This is OK in the summer months, but could be quite cold in the winter.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Bruce R, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Dear HC LA,
Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our clean, comfortable rooms. Thank you for pointing out our bedside electric opportunity. We too have identified this need and are working quickly on a solution. That should make snoozing a bit easier!
As far as location, we have one of the best spots in the city which grants easy access to restaurants, businesses and entertainment venues. We will work on doing a better job describing exactly how "connected" you are when you choose our hotel.
We hope that you choose to stay with us again on your next trip to Minneapolis!
WestinmplsGM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed May 5, 2014

This is an amazing hotel with an excellent staff! The room was perfect --surroundings soft and neutral. Very comfortable bed! I had a delicious breakfast the next morning --again with staff that pleased!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

On the positive side - great location, rooms are clean, beds are comfortable, pool / hot tub area is small but also good. Biggest downside was noise. It's like sleeping in a dorm room. Expect to hear every small noise in the corridor outside. Given this hotel is in downtown Minneapolis that means people walking and talking till 2-3am and then again early morning. Staff had also forgotten to turn off the alarm clock that went off at 6am. Several nice positives but overall not worth the money and won't be staying here again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Bruce R, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Dear jerrywesterby,
First and as always, thank you for your valuable feedback. We appreciate your positive comments regarding our great location, clean rooms, comfortable beds and pool / hot tub area.
We hear you loud and clear regarding the noise you mention and we are sorry that other guests impacted your stay.
We are working hard on several measures that will positively impact this issue.
We hope you will give us another chance in the near future.

Somerset, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 2, 2014

We stayed in Minneapolis for a night and thought the Westin was clean and quiet. The location is very good and you have access to the skyway right there if you need to use it. I have 2 complaints about the hotel which are 1. small bathrooms 2. for some reason the maid service kept knocking on our door after 8 am. We had room service at 8 am then about a half hour later a maid knocked on the door but when I opened the door she was down the hall knocking on another door. Then at 9 another knock, this time the room service guy wanting the tray and another knock at 10. I don't know what was going on with that but it was irritating. Overall we enjoyed our stay but would try another hotel next time.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 1, 2014

I liked this hotel. I went for labor day weekend and it was only $90 per night which was great. We were on the 11th floor and the room was nice. My only complaint is about the bathrooms and that our shower did not drain very well. The room was comfortable and the beds were definitely "heavenly"-- I could have slept all day . The wifi was not free in the rooms, but you could hang out downstairs in BANK or the lobby and get free wifi, which was nice. To reach the front desk you have to walk all the way to the back of the restaurant, but it was not a huge deal. On our first day there, we asked about food for lunch and the front desk was not all that helpful, which was disappointing. Also, one night we called the front desk for a taxi 15 minutes before we were planning to leave and when we went down to the front there was no cab. We had to go back inside and inquire about the cab and they say that there is usually one standing out side-- clearly they did not call for one and just assumed one would be there, which it wasnt. This would have been a big deal, but we were able to get in a cab 5 minutes later.
They have this cool idea where you can pay $5 and they will give you fitness clothing and tennis shoes to work out at their gym they market it as "stay fit, pack light" we didnt get to try this out, but it seems like a great idea-- we did get to see the gym and it was well equiped.
The hotel is very convenient to walk to from the light rail and also has a "nice ride" bike station around the corner which was a GREAT THING!!! I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is coming into the city and does not have a car. The area was safe to walk at most every hour and the hotel is accessable via the skyway

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Bruce R, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Dear Sheena P,
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay back in September of 2013. We are glad that you enjoyed yourself.
We are sharing your comments with the team to make sure that we have addressed the opportunity areas you identified.
We hope to see you again soon.
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

My stay at the Westin was not good at all. I was traveling here on business and glad to be checking out and heading to the next destination.

The configuration of the lobby is very odd - they are going for that open feel with the restaurant and the bar taking up the whole center of the lobby. But it makes entering the hotel - especially with your luggage a bit awkward - more so when the cocktail waitresses and patrons show little regard for keeping the walkway clear for you to find your way to the registration desk.

My only positive experience was with the lady who checked me in and regrettably I don't know her name. She kindly made sure that my account was linked to the rewards program, pointed out the wifi code and made an effort to find the package that was awaiting my arrival. Though come to think of it...she acted as if I knew where I should be going while maneuvering the maze of hallways leading to the guest elevators.

Customer Service was non-existent in this hotel.

When I arrived in my room I was dismayed to find that it was not in fact the room type I'd requested nor paid extra for. The comforter on one of the beds was rumpled and in fact I even sent a picture to my family asking "who's been sleeping in my bed". I was so tired from a long journey and half a week on the road that I thought I could live with the double bed configuration and sleep in the tidier bed - once I'd ensured that there wasn't anyone lurking in the closets or bathrooms...

Later I noticed that this room was not nearly as clean as it should have been - used gum wrappers on the floor; crumbs in the arm chair.

When dialing for room service, I was greeted by "Guest Services" so I inquire "yes, I'd like to be connected with In Room Dining, please" and my response was an annoyed "this is it". Whereas any other hotel that combines these services would say "yes ma'am. I can help you with that and would be glad to take your order." This wasn't the only incident with Guest Services/in Room Dining as my boss experienced a very similar experience the next night in her room. Yet to make it worse she ordered a port wine and instead of calling back to say they didn't have one... After a long delay, the server finally arrived with no clue about the missing wine and no apology to boot!

Dining in their restaurant was no better experience. The waiters had to be summoned over to even begin service and when they brought hot tea - they delivered it without sweetener and without a spoon. And when asked for these items the waiter seemed annoyed. Ordering tea once might clue him in that later in the meal - he might need to bring those items up front. And God forbid not seem further annoyed when asked politely again. He also dropped the bill with no pen - so I'm not sure how he was expecting we'd pay or tip for that matter.

Sleeping in my double "heavenly" bed was actually Hell! I am five feet tall and while I love to "swim" in the extra room a King offers when I'm on the road, I in fact sleep on a full sized bed at home. Quite comfortably I might add and with plenty of room to spare. This double bed in my room may have been built for a playhouse. I'm 100% serious when I tell you that my feet hung over the edge of the bed. I did not have my head flush with the headboard but rather a few inches away - like I would sleep at home. Off the bed!! And no matter which way I turned I quickly found myself teetering on the side edges too!

After a fitful and tense night of sleep - from fear of falling off- I remembered that I had in fact paid extra for the next level of room so I decided to call down and inquire whether I could change rooms. The front desk guy feigned an apology but offered only "we're sold out". When I asked for further action into the matter, he put me on hold for quite some time then came back with the same unapologetic answer.

The only reason my bosses and I stayed at this location was because our luxury travel guide said it was the best hotel in town. Well I'll be reporting back to her that of most certainly is not. I paid more to stay at this unclean, unfriendly and unapologetic property in Minneapolis Minnesota than I did for much nicer and accommodating properties in Beverly Hills and Union Sq in San Francisco!!! For a New Yorker to think that the customer service is sorely lacking in an entirely service oriented business speaks volumes! Stay away from this Westin in Minneapolis. It has my stamp of disapproval and I'm happy to help you all avoid a similar situation!

Note to Hotels.com users when I called them they said there was nothing they could do because I'd already "accepted" this room assignment. So moral of the story whenever something looks slightly off in your room... Go immediately back downstairs to get reassigned. Lugging your bags all the way back down will be totally worth it in the end!!

Also beware of their pricing schedules. They present rates in a way that makes it appear you can pay extra to egg your preferred room type. Yet when I asked this of both the hotel and Hotels.com they both insisted that it was only a "preference"! The agent I called assured me that to make up for the inconvenience she'd send me a coupon voucher to use towards my next stay - but alas that hasn't found it's way to my inbox yet...

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear ThereSheIsNYC,
First thank you for taking your valuable time to write this thorough review of your experiences at our hotel. We are deeply sorry that we fell short of your expectations.
We will use your review to reevaluate our service and product standards so that we are consistently providing an EXCELLENT experience for our customers.
We wish you well in your future travels and believe you would have an entirely different experience if you could find it in your heart to give us another try. We are working hard every day to become consistently EXCELLENT!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 21, 2014

The hotel itself was very nice. Big open restaurant and bar area, very cool staircases and lounging areas near the elevators. Upon arrival, my "roommates" and I were prompted to sign a zero-tolerance noise policy, which apparently means that if any noise is made from your room after 10pm, you will be kicked-out, no questions asked. A little intimidating, to be honest, and was not the vibe I was trying to receive from a hotel getaway weekend with some friends.

Our room was rather small and didn't meet my lofty expectations, given the build-up from the parts of the hotel previously mentioned. It didn't take us long to find out that the door to our room was not going to help us with the 10pm zero noise rule, seeing as if you were in the hallway three rooms away you could hear a whisper from our room, due to the paperthin doors.

We only had one complaint about the noise during our stay there (at 10:15pm no less), but still, spending a night downtown with friends should not have to result in constant shushing of one another for fear of being kicked out.

Overall, the stay was average. I would much prefer to stay somewhere else if in a similar situation next time.

Room Tip: If you're having a night out on the town with friends, look for another place to stay.