“Good location, decent rooms”

The Westin Minneapolis
Ranked #21 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Singapore, Singapore
“Good location, decent rooms”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I checked into this hotel over a long weekend to explore downtown Minneapolis. The first room I checked-in was filled with a lingering stench of cigarette smoke. I immediately called guest services to request for a room-change which they did in 10 minutes. The second room I was given felt fresher but little did I know it was located right on the floor occupied by high school kids out on a school trip. There was a noisy, drunkard, rowdy late night party right next to my room - it is worse than a backpacker's hostel as at least in a hostels , kids play at the bar not in the rooms. The pandaemonium eventually ended ... way past midnight !
The only consolation of this hotel is its location: light rail is round the corner and is within the wonderful maze of downtown skywalks which made exploring downtown in the deep winter of sub-zero conditions actually achievable. Nevertheless, there are other downtown hotels which are connected via sky bridges, I do not think I will return to the same hotel if I were to ever visit Minneapolis again.
Reception is friendly, rooms of a good size with room to lay my yoga mat between my king-sized bed and sofa. Showers were clean. There is no guest parking.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Bruce R, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear Travellingsalesgirl,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are pleased that you found our location appealing and enjoyed our large, clean rooms.

We appreciate you bringing the smoke smell issue to our attention. At Westin we believe in Breathe Well and as such have a no smoking policy at the hotel. We have addressed this issue with our housekeeping staff who are always on the lookout for any unpleasant odors in our rooms.

We do apologize for any noise from other guests which impacted your ability to Sleep Well. We work as a team to ensure all of our guests have an enjoyable experience and are respectful of each other. As such we have our Westin Sleep Policy which expresses our expectations for each of our valued guests.

We hope that you will choose to return to our hotel the next time your travels bring you to Minneapolis!

WestinmplsGM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Byron Center, Michigan
Reviewed March 5, 2014 via mobile

I had a business meeting a few buildings from the Westin so it was convenient. It was cold so having skyway connections from the hotel was fantastic. The Starwood Preferred floor/room was disappointing because the view was of the radiation system and an adjoining building. My first room reeked of smoke and immediately provoked my asthma but the staff did quickly move me to another room. The breakfast buffet was good but service was a little slow. The front desk and valet staff were amazingly friendly and courteous.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank mrsadiaz
Matt T, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Westin Minneapolis. We appreciate your positive comments regarding our pleasant desk staff, location and our breakfast buffet.

Of course, your observation regarding our slow service in the restaurant is alarming and unacceptable.

Nothing is more important for us than to ensure you have an EXCELLENT experience at our property.

Feedback is a gift and we will use your experiences to better train our team on achieving our service goals.

We hope you will give us another chance on your future visits to Downtown Minneapolis.

New York City, New York
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Booked this for an overnight stay; found a great rate including valet parking ($35 overnight), $50 dining credit and including buffet breakfast. SPG gold member got late checkout and upgraded to a renewal room on the top floor featuring a "Swiss" style multiple wall jet shower.

Room was very spacious. Enormous bathroom with enough space to fit a bathtub at the center(!), but no central mat and not well heated so hard to walk around bare feet on a cold tiled floor, and no towel hooks on the wall by the shower stall! The central heat had the ventilation on all night so made it a little noisy, but tolerable.

Breakfast buffet at the main lobby Bank restaurant was very underwhelming. Just scramble eggs, oatmeal, bacon/sausage, yogurt, cereals, etc. No cold cuts/cheese/smoked salmon; no custom made omelette, etc typically what you'd expect from a Westin hotel. Glad it was part of the room rate 'cause $16-17 per person wasn't worth it.

Also had lunch at Bank restaurant, appetizer and burger were good; prawn pasta was a bit too creamy.

Overall, a decent stay for the rate but the room and breakfast could definitely be improved.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GeeTee54321
Bruce R, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear GeeTee54321,
Thank you for the very positive comments about your stay at our hotel. We are very proud of what we offer to our customers and are happy you enjoyed your stay.
We have passed on your comments regarding the breakfast buffet on to our Chef for follow up and will take a look at the locations of towel hooks in the bathrooms.
Thank you for choosing our hotel, we hope to welcome you back soon!
WestinMPLSGM
Roseville, Minnesota
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Not my first stay at The Westin, and will be many more stays, but wanted to comment on the service, food and rooms at this hotel. Everyone from the Valet to the servers in The Lobby Bar and Restaurant were absolutely great and friendly. Their rooms are clean and comfortable, beds are "out of this world" comfy! I recommend this lovely hotel to anyone...close to everything in downtown Mpls, staff goes out of their way to make you feel welcome.

Room Tip: Ask if your room has a view
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Susan E
Savage, Minnesota
Reviewed February 23, 2014

My husband and I just stayed there last nite and it is an amazingly beautiful hotel! Staff is very friendly and the rooms are clean. The only negative thing I have to say is that the rooms are really hot and stuffy and even though the beds were super comfy the fact that we couldn't get any air flowing through the room made for a very restless nite of sleep.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I first stayed on New years eve and didn't have a great experience. The room was nice enough but I had some service issues, such as no bell hop in sight and no offer of help from the 3 employees I passed as I clearly struggled with my bags. I have Platinum preferred status but the check-in staff basically ignored me. Ended up having to leave half my stuff behind and come back for it. However, after bringing the issues to management, they offered me to stay another night on the house, and it so happened I would be in Minneapolis for a night a few weeks after. The assistant manager called and made sure my room was to my liking and sent up a fruit and cheese plate and a bottle of champagne (it was also my birthday). I was very impressed that so many people took the time to make sure I was happy with the stay, so I have taken them off my . The hotel has a great lobby/restaurant. It had some nice private dining/conference rooms off the main area as well that, as a consultant, looked like a nice team working space for later hours. Location is great and within walking distance of pretty much anything downtown and of course connected to other buildings through the skyways. Not a great area for loading/unloading that I could see though. Only major complaint is there was no pizza on the late night menu :) but Pizza Luce is close by for delivery.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I booked a stay at this hotel for a quiet evening, and found the hotel itself to be pleasant enough. The rooms were clean, and nice, though completely lacking for any sort of view. The front desk staff was civil, but not entirely friendly, and ended up charging two different cards of mine so I had pending charges for a week, but it was manageable. What frustrated me the most was that I had reserved a room with a late check-out to better align with my schedule and at 12:15, I received a knock at my door asking me why we had not yet checked out. When I informed the staff that I had a reservation for a later checkout (referencing the reservation on my phone), they simply laughed and said that their checkout system was messed up. By the time my boyfriend and I reached the front desk, packed and very frustrated, the front desk tried to clear it up and allow us to go back to the room but we were so annoyed that we chose to leave instead. Given the better hotels in town, I think I will go elsewhere than this incredibly unprofessional treatment.

Green Features: Didn't notice that there were any environmentally friendly practices.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Bruce R, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Diane K,
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Westin Minneapolis. We appreciate your positive comments regarding our pleasant staff and clean, nice rooms.

Of course, your observations regarding our "civil, but not entirely friendly" front desk staff and our failure to recognize your late departure request are alarming and unacceptible.