“Class Stay”

The Westin Minneapolis
Ranked #21 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 12, 2014

Excellent staff was very friendly and most professional. Rooms were very comfortable and the restaurant and bar were very satisfying. I particularly appreciated the luggage assistance because we arrived early for the Vikings game.

Room Tip: Front desks clerk will inform you if you ask about room preference type.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,134)

Reviewed February 10, 2014

Spent a weekend meeting some college friends for a last minute reunion. We were planning a girls weekend "in" and this was the perfect hotel! The service was great all weekend! We didn't plan on leaving the hotel but the skyway was the absolute perfect thing to get out and see the city without having to be cold!! The front desk was also very helpful since we were sort of a high maintenance group. They were nothing but professional! Highly recommend!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I want to let travelers know about the horrible experience we had at the Westin Hotel on South 6th Street in downtown Minneapolis. If I could give this hotel a zero or negative number rating, I would. We stayed here for a weekend getaway combined with some business for three nights, from Thursday to Sunday in February of 2014.

First, the positive. The hotel is well located in the heart of the city, convenient to shopping, entertainment venues, and excellent restaurants (112 Eatery being our favorite). It is reasonably priced, but I now know not good value when you consider the experience. The lobby is lovely, housed in an historic bank building, and very lively if you prefer this type of atmosphere over quiet elegance. The front desk staff is courteous and efficient at check-in (Michael was very helpful). The hotel has valet parking with in and out privileges for $35/day, although it is woefully understaffed; the first morning it took 30 minutes to get our car, making us late for our appointment. The rooms are furnished as you would expect for a large hotel chain and the cleanliness was average; the second day, the cleaning staff left some of the pillows on the floor, left our used drinking glasses unwashed, and, while the sheets seemed to be washed upon our arrival, there was a long hair left across my pillow - yuck. They offer a breakfast buffet that is better than something you'd find at a Travelodge as it includes a platter of berries and melons (when they finally decide to replenish it).

Now for the negatives. We are Starwood gold members and were upgraded to a larger room on a supposed "preferred guest floor" upon check-in. The room was fine, with a seating area next to the bed and one small window looking out onto the windows of adjacent buildings. It was quiet and we slept fine. The second night, upon returning from a wonderful dinner at Wize Acre Eatery, we arrived to find a large group of guests having a party in the four rooms adjacent to, and diagonally across the hall from, our room. It sounded like there were about thirty people partying on the other side of our headboard wall. After enduring the drunken revelry, with people yelling in the hallway, until about 10 pm, we called down to the front desk and requested that something be done. And this is when things took a turn for the worse.

About 15 minutes after I called the front desk, Jesse Ortiz, the Front Office Supervisor, arrived on our floor looking as if we were bothering him. While he could clearly hear the loud partying from the hallway, he said he could ask them to quiet down but nothing more. Of course, his request did nothing to quiet things down. When I objected, I received what could at best be described as an uncaring attitude and condescending smirk. When Mr. Ortiz returned to the front desk, I guess he reconsidered his poor response and called us up to apologize and ask if we wanted to be moved to a quiet room. At this, point, it was after 11 pm on Friday night. We repacked our luggage and carried it to a suite on the third floor. Mr. Ortiz assured us that, despite the pool and fitness room also being on the third floor, this floor was all suites and "very quiet". You can probably guess where this story is going, and it isn't good.

On Saturday evening, we returned from a wonderful dinner at Cafe Levain about 10 pm to find approximately 30 to 50 teenagers and a number of drunk adults (with drinks in tow) running and screaming around the pool and in the hallway immediately outside our door. The noise reverberated in our room. Once again, we called down to the front desk and requested that something be done so we could go to sleep at a reasonable hour. About 20 minutes later, Charles Bushard, Front Office Manager, arrived on the third floor in the middle of the party. While you would think he would be apologetic and immediately attempt to quiet things down, I am sorry to say that he did just the opposite. He first informed us that the pool did not close until 11 pm and he could do nothing about the situation until then. When pressed, he said that drinking alcohol was allowed so long as it was not in glass containers at the pool. He also said he was informed of our previous incident the night before and then went so far as to suggest that we were difficult guests and were not appreciative of the room upgrade we received. Unbelievable! We, in turn, explained that we were not looking for upgrades . . . just some peace and quiet. I quickly realized that our request was falling on deaf ears. And I still can't comprehend why Mr. Ortiz would have moved us to this floor knowing full well that we were looking for quiet.

So here's the crux of the issue as I see it. According to the front desk staff, the hotel was only 60% occupied on this particular weekend. Obviously, an economic decision has been made by the hotel management to welcome large groups of partiers to fill the place at the expense of other guests. Not only do they tolerate a frat house atmosphere, but they seem to encourage it. I don't know if this corporate culture is unique to this property or permeates to all of the Westin chains. I can tell you that if you are coming to Minneapolis with a large group of friends to drink and party all night without regard for your neighbors, then I have the hotel for you. We saw several of such groups coming into the hotel carrying cases of beer and cardboard boxes filled with liquor bottles.

If, on the other hand, you are coming to Minneapolis for business or for a peaceful, relaxing break, you would be well advised to check into a hotel like The Ivy down the street. It's worth the additional expense. I warn you: don't be enticed by The Westin's low room rate as I was; as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. I will never stay at this hotel again at any price; it's just not worth the stress and lack of sleep. Shame on you Minneapolis Westin.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank shop4junk
Bruce R, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Dear shop4junk,
Thank you for providing our team with your valuable feedback. We appreciate your positive comments about our hotels great location, lovely lobby and courteous front desk staff.
Of course we are terribly disappointed that you classified the entirety of your experience as the worst hotel experience ever.
We will review your individual observations point by point with the team and ensure we improve our future guests' experiences.
While we did our absolute best to accommodate all of our guests needs, including yours, on this particular weekend, we still fell short of your expectations. For that we apologize.

Kind regards,
WestinMPLSGM

Reviewed February 8, 2014

From the minute I walked into the Westin Minneapolis I was impressed! The ambiance of their restaurant, "Bank", made a great first impression which carried on through to the friendliness of the hotel staff and the modern, clean guest rooms. My first impression was reaffirmed after having a delicious dinner at Bank and then followed up by drinks with friends at the bar, and of course a restful sleep in their "heavenly beds"!

The direct access to the skyway was definitely a huge bonus! It was such a convenient location...to be able to shop at the mall and/or different stores and not have to go outside into the cold weather was fantastic!

I definitely would recommend this hotel to friends, family and co-workers!

You have a repeat customer in me!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Charles, who works at the front desk, was extremely friendly and helpful when we were inquiring about switching rooms. The hotel was sold out and although, he was unable to give us another room, he was more than willing to provide us with a cot and four complimentary vouchers for the hotel bar! Great service is what will keep me coming back to this hotel every time I'm in Minneapolis! Thank you, Charles, for making this stay memorable!

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed in Minneapolis for a work conference. The conference was held at a nearby hotel but I have always enjoyed the Westin so I opted for the inconvenience of having to go back and forth because I always receive an excellent room and experience. Between business and pleasure I have stayed at the Westin a minimum of 6 times in the past 3 months.
I arrived and was told my credit authorization wouldn't go through, which was fine that was miscommunication on my fault due to a stolen wallet situation weeks prior and I am in no way blaming the hotel for this.
But they would not be flexible with me on this matter, they refused to take a credit card over the phone and finally after speaking with my supervisor who informed them that she would authorize her credit card they finally gave me a paper copy and told me to get her to fill it out (I let then know I was on my way to a business dinner to meet her) and bring it back to the front desk as soon as I returned. I did exactly what I was told and was told by the incredibly rude front desk agent that it needed to be faxed in. That was not the instruction I was given. I asked if I would be woken up with a knock on the door because I didn't have a credit card with them for incidentals and he informed me that he "didn't know". He then took the credit authorization and put it in a filing system on the counter and began speaking to another guest. I was not comfortable leaving my supervisors credit card information with someone that refused to use it or acknowledge me so I asked for it back and went upstairs with my boyfriend where we discussed what had just happened. My boyfriend elected to use his card for the incidentals and went to the front desk without me, came back up to the room and informed me how incredibly rude the front deal was to him and how they treated him like a burden.
We then discovered that 2 lamps and a phone were unplugged and a main lightbulb was burnt out.
I called the hotel manager Charles in the morning who had given me permission in the first place to have my supervisor authorize the card... He was incredibly apologetic and offered me a room upgrade and a complimentary bottle of wine. I decided to stay for the second night which I had booked instead of eating he cost and staying somewhere with better service.
I arrived back at the hotel at 5pm on Friday and had an hour to get ready and go back to the conference. The front desk gave me the key for my new room and my coworkers and I went upstairs to get ready.
The light in our "upgrade" in the main hallway was burnt out and the wine was nowhere to be found. I called down to ask about it and had to call 3 times to get an answer.
She said they would send it right up and asked how many glasses we would need... I said 3 glasses.
Room service shows up with 2 glasses. I called back down, this time I only had to call 2 times to get an answer... And they brought us a third glass.
The room was clean and the rest of my stay was uneventful. I use to love staying at the Westin and always encouraged coworkers and friends to stay and now they may have lost a valued guest. I travel quite often and have never heard a worse experience then in my own city.
When you are staying somewhere for a multi day work conference the last thing you want is stress when you get back to your hotel.
Thank god the hotel bar was open and Scott was bartending both nights of my stay. His costumer service was amazing and I would visit the Bank again just for great customer service... Just don't know if I will ever book again with the Westin.

• Stayed: January 2014
Bruce R, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear AshleeMinneapolis,
Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel and also for taking the time to highlight your experiences here. We appreciate the feedback you provided and certainly apologize for our service shortfalls and the issues you encountered in your first guestroom. I assure you that what you experienced falls far short of our expectations. We have shared your feedback with our team and are working hard to improve our room functionality and finding ways to more hospitably handle billing issues by providing better service.
We were happy to see that you had a very positive service experience with Scott in BANK Restaurant. We look forward to your return to our great restaurant and bar and hope we can win you back as a hotel guest as well!

Kind regards,
Westin MPLS GM

Reviewed February 1, 2014

Was in Minneapolis on business and had the pleasure of staying here.

- Staff: Very helpful; went over and beyond to accommodate my coworkers and me
- Ambiance: The hotel lobby used to be a bank so its very interesting to see how they converted a bank into a restaurant (also called "Bank"). They store the wine in the bank vault which is pretty cool
- Room: Typical Westin room; modern, well decorated, heavenly mattress, etc. The bathroom was nice too
- Restaurant: Bank was great. I ordered the tenderloin tips, NY strip and a bottle of their decently priced cab
- Room Service: Requested that breakfast be brought to my room at 7am. It arrived at 7am on the dot.
- Value: Can't say since the room was paid for by my company

Overall: Great hotel; highly recommend. If you're ever in town for a Vikings / Timberwolves / Twins game, definitely consider the Westin.

Room Tip: High floor away from elevators / ice machine
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business