“Worst Downtown Minneapolis Stay Ever” 1 of 5 stars

The Westin Minneapolis
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle, Washington
“Worst Downtown Minneapolis Stay Ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Valet parking is $35 dollars, in four days here - not once, has a valet been anywhere to be found upon our arrival at the hotel. One of us must come into the hotel, trek to the front desk (truly a 1/2 block away from the valet door) and ask the front desk to page the valet. Then we wait. Upon complaining everyone tries to explain why we have to wait 10 minutes each time for the valet - it is a secure lot, it is 10 minutes away ... do I care? No, if I am paying $35/day for valet, I want a valet service.

Not once in at least four daily trips past the front desk has anyone looked at us, smiled or said hello. Yesterday as I approached the front desk, in clear sight, to request they find the valet, the desk person walked away going behind a locked "hotel personnel only" door leaving me stranded for another 5 minutes.

The TV's do not work on the treadmills and ellipticals. We are in a small two room suite. The building is so poorly insulated we need to keep the quilt like drapes closed obscuring the two walls of windows we should be able to enjoy. Bath amenities are the same as you would find at a Fairfield Inn. Separate living room area is tired.

We were here for our wedding, are both Platinum travelers, with multiple trips to MSP annually and this place is the worst downtown hotel we have ever stayed in.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
Matt T, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Helen,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. The feedback you have provided regarding the valet, the front office staff and our fitness center is extremely disappointing to hear, but again appreciated. This information will be shared with our team to ensure it does not happen to a future guest. Please let me know if I can ever assist you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
North Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed here on a weekend night, and it was absolutely wonderful. All of the staff were very cordial and welcoming. The room was clean. I enjoyed the minimalist style. The shower was amazing. The breakfast buffet was delicious!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Leah,

Thank you foe the wonderful review of our property!

I am glad you enjoyed our restaurant and we do have amazing showers!
Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I can't say enough good things about the Westin! The lobby is amazing, the bar had great drinks with a terrific happy hour and the staff were all so helpful! The rooms are big, clean and the beds are so comfy! It was a freezing Minnesota day and it was so easy to get to all the stores via the skyway. I would stay here again and again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
L from MN,

Thank you for the great review!

I am glad you enjoyed our bar, restaurant and the cleanliness of our rooms.

We look forward to your return visit!
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

The room was really average. The staff was very nice. The bathroom was very poorly stocked-2 bars of soap, 1 body wash and 1 hair conditioner but no shampoo and no body lotion. My coffee maker was broken, however when I went down to front desk, they quickly gave me a couple of complimentary coffees. All in all, I was disappointed.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Matt T, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear buddbayyclub,

Please accept my sincere apology for the unfortunate experiences you encountered during your recent trip to our Westin Minneapolis. Unfortunately due to the issues that you mentioned, we failed to offer you the experience you anticipated while booking our hotel. Please consider contacting me directly as I would hope to have the opportunity to regain your confidence in our Westin. I value your opinion and thank you for sharing this with me

Regards,

WMN AGM
White Bear Lake
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

Love the Westin Minneapolis! From the minute you walk in the service is amazing. The rooms are always clean and the heavenly bed is truly heavenly. The bar and restaurant staff take care of your every need. Thanks again Westin staff!
Can't wait until my next visit to the Westin Minneapolis.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Stillwater, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Any time we need to stay in downtown Mpls. we choose the Westin. Great food, great atmosphere, great rooms and of course, great beds! We love to hang out in your lounge area with friends and always get service with a smile. :-)

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Emmetsburg, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

We booked a traditional king guest room for our fifth wedding anniversary. Our room was located on the fourth floor and looked out over what I assume was the roof of the awning of the hotel. While that view was not so appealing, we could see the cityscape beyond, which was nice. The room was tastefully decorated in a minimalist style with neutral colors--it kind of reminded me of a room out of an IKEA catalog. The bed was unbelievably comfortable! The sheets were heavy and the duvet soft. I wish I could say I had the best sleep of my life, but I didn't. I awoke in the middle of the night feeling panicky and hot. I felt like someone was standing beside the bed looking down at me. When I opened my eyes, I thought I saw someone with a bloody face. What the heck?? Obviously, this nightmare was no fault of the hotel. My husband had a great night's sleep, however. The shower was large with a rain shower head. The towels were thick and soft. Although there was a fridge in the room (stocked with all sorts of ala carte treats and drinks), there was no space for storing food or drinks of our own. Also, there was just one robe in the room...obviously, not enough for two guests. Overall, I would stay again if given the chance and if I came across a good deal on the room. Our total bill for one night's stay came to just over $200 ($35 parking fee) included. This was a bit much in my opinion since Internet and breakfast were not included in this total. I guess Super 8 has spoiled me. ;)

Room Tip: Avoid fourth floor if possible...not much of a view