“Great Hotel, Great location, Great Price”

The Westin Minneapolis
Ranked #21 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago
“Great Hotel, Great location, Great Price”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We come up to the cities, at least 4-5 times a year. It is one of our favorite places to visit. This is our first stay at hotel. It was great. We got a terrific deal through Priceline and actually stayed Thursday night and then rebooked through Priceline for two rooms for Friday night. The hotel is beautiful, the staff was very helpful. The rooms were quiet, and very nice. Only complaint, no NBC sports channel, and it's hockey playoffs. But other than that, it was a great stay.
There is a cheaper garage around the corner if you don't want to valet. Walking distance to Target Field and bars and restuarants.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WhiteSox12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Grand Forks, North Dakota, United States
Reviewed May 14, 2013

The location was great and walking distance to everything we needed, including the light rail which took us all the way to the Mall of America. The staff at this hotel was fabulous. The hotel itself was clean and well worth it. The room was a bit stuff as we like to sleep in a cooler room. And the pillows were sort of awful. But overall, great stay and would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Took the wife for a surprise getaway at the Westin Minneapolis. We were looking forward to a nice dinner and a night on the town but found ourselves unwilling to leave the friendly, warm atmosphere that they've created there. The bar and restaurant were elegant but not fussy - service was attentive but unobtrusive and the menu was great. We are wine lovers and the manager's bottle selection for us was perfect. Overall, the dining experience was so great that we decided to stay and enjoy the romantic belle epoque vibe. I travel for business and have been in Westins all over the world and our room was among the best I've stayed in with tasteful finishes, comfortable furnishings and bathroom to die for. Overall, I'd recommend this place in a heartbeat and look forward to our next mini vacation there.

Room Tip: Get a city view room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I booked this hotel for a weekend stay in Minneapolis. While the hotel looks modern and appears luxurious from the lobby, but the hotel service was terrible.

First, my room was so small, that there was no chair available, except the chair by the desk, so I was stuck with doing everything in bed or the desk chair.

Next, when I checked in, there were no face cloth, so I have to wait almost 1 hour to be supplied face clothes. The bed was very uncomfortable, my sleep quality was poor in my 2 nights stay at the hotel.

On Saturday, I left the hotel at about 9:30 am, when I returned at about 3:45 pm, my room was still not cleaned, the cleaning person came at about 4:40 to clean, since I was having a nap, I chose not to have room service.

My overall experience at the Westin in Minneapolis, were not pleasant.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank kenx
Westinmpls, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Kenx;
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am disappointed to hear of the issues you experienced during your stay which included the room you were assigned and the issues with our housekeeping department. Due to the layout of the reused bank building that is now our Westin, some of our rooms very in size and layout. We are currently in the process of updating all of our guest room chairs and chaise; it is our mistake that this chair was missing upon your arrival. Your feedback is very important to our team and we will use it to improve on the negative service that you experienced,
Sincerely
WmnGM
Maplewood, Minnesota
Reviewed May 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this Westin for a getaway. I have stayed at thousands of hotels both domestic & international for work. This Westin rates right at the top. The service was exceptional. The room was beautiful and comfortable. The food at the restaurant was amazing. My stay was a true getaway because everything at the Westin made me feel like I was not in the normal, run-of-the-mill ordinary "Minnesota" experience. I am already looking forward to my next stay at the Westin.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Roseville, Minnesota
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Experienced this hotel for a long overdue "Girls Weekend". Every staff member we encountered were FAB!! Check-In was very efficient, as we had reserved several rooms. Our rooms were delightful, clean and well appointed. The bar staff were friendly and very attentive. We all loved the food and service provided at the Bank, the servers were greatly informative.

All of the girls decided we would make the Westin Minneapolis an annual event for our get-together.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I checked into what I thought would be a great hotel in the twin cities. I had read mostly good reviews about this hotel but of course like any hotel there were some bad ones. I prefer Starwood Hotels to any other brand, including Marriott but I will never return to this property again. Most hotels these days run a little leaner than when the economy was booming like crazy. With saying this I've come to expect hotels to have less staff and one person doing the job of two and so on. Let me get to my experience at this property. As I arrived at this property on a Monday evening I was promptly greeted by a valet who took my vehicle and of course advised me of the questionably high valet prices but because the good ole company is paying for this I simply obliged and continued into the hotel.

After flying twelve hours from Asia the last thing I expected to see was a line seven people deep with one person manning the desk. What kind of property that charges $359 for a standard room only has one person working at the desk. I understand that my frustration shouldn't be directed toward the employee, rather Starwood Hotels for an understaffed and overworked hotel. As I looked to the restaurant that was in back of me I realized there were two host stands but no actual hosts? While I was in line I tried to get the attention of one of the servers who were working there butts off but couldn't make contact. I figured while I was in this long line I'd have myself a drink. I continued to wait 5...6...7...8...minutes and then I become even more irritated. No manager or anyone there to assist. The guy at the desk was red faced...obviously overworked and seemed like he was about to have a breakdown. Finally another associate walked up who looked stressed but quickly checked me in and gave me my keys. It should never and I repeat Never take 15 minutes to check into a hotel paying almost $400 a night.

If you're going to price gauge then you probably should at least have the staff to take my money faster. Upon entering the room everything seemed in place and I proceeded to order room service. Astonishing at it was - the same person who checked me in took my room service order? I thought was he also going to deliver it? I also remembered at check in the agent was on the phone...he probably was taking room service orders! After I placed my order I realized I'd forgotten some toothpaste and other items. I got these items at the front desk and thankfully the line had gone away.

I did make it a point to inquire as to why registration took 15 minutes and the young kid with the red face from earlier said they were understaffed. I told him I had no idea how he did his job and simply said good luck. The Room Service was fine and it arrived within a reasonable amount of time. As I passed through the hotel a couple more times during the evening I realized that it was normal to have one person at the desk. Instead of waiting this time I just walked out to find a good cocktail bar on my on. The rest of the stay was fine but I will not support this type of corporate slavery. In closing the hotel needs to staff properly - Don't have guests wait for what seemed eternity to check in - Have an actual concierge - Where are the managers? Starwood should be ashamed.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank James P
Westinmpls, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear James P,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our property on Trip Advisor. We appreciate that you have taken time to inform us of your point of view regarding your recent stay. It is feedback like yours that will assist us in ensuring that your experience does not affect future guests. I will share this with our team and will make the necessary corrections needed. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss your stay in further detail as we would like the opportunity to regain your trust in our hotel. Please accept my apology for your experience.
Warm Regards