“Top notch place to stay”

The Westin Minneapolis
Ranked #21 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Maplewood, Minnesota
“Top notch place to stay”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this Westin for a getaway. I have stayed at thousands of hotels both domestic & international for work. This Westin rates right at the top. The service was exceptional. The room was beautiful and comfortable. The food at the restaurant was amazing. My stay was a true getaway because everything at the Westin made me feel like I was not in the normal, run-of-the-mill ordinary "Minnesota" experience. I am already looking forward to my next stay at the Westin.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Roseville, Minnesota
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Experienced this hotel for a long overdue "Girls Weekend". Every staff member we encountered were FAB!! Check-In was very efficient, as we had reserved several rooms. Our rooms were delightful, clean and well appointed. The bar staff were friendly and very attentive. We all loved the food and service provided at the Bank, the servers were greatly informative.

All of the girls decided we would make the Westin Minneapolis an annual event for our get-together.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I checked into what I thought would be a great hotel in the twin cities. I had read mostly good reviews about this hotel but of course like any hotel there were some bad ones. I prefer Starwood Hotels to any other brand, including Marriott but I will never return to this property again. Most hotels these days run a little leaner than when the economy was booming like crazy. With saying this I've come to expect hotels to have less staff and one person doing the job of two and so on. Let me get to my experience at this property. As I arrived at this property on a Monday evening I was promptly greeted by a valet who took my vehicle and of course advised me of the questionably high valet prices but because the good ole company is paying for this I simply obliged and continued into the hotel.

After flying twelve hours from Asia the last thing I expected to see was a line seven people deep with one person manning the desk. What kind of property that charges $359 for a standard room only has one person working at the desk. I understand that my frustration shouldn't be directed toward the employee, rather Starwood Hotels for an understaffed and overworked hotel. As I looked to the restaurant that was in back of me I realized there were two host stands but no actual hosts? While I was in line I tried to get the attention of one of the servers who were working there butts off but couldn't make contact. I figured while I was in this long line I'd have myself a drink. I continued to wait 5...6...7...8...minutes and then I become even more irritated. No manager or anyone there to assist. The guy at the desk was red faced...obviously overworked and seemed like he was about to have a breakdown. Finally another associate walked up who looked stressed but quickly checked me in and gave me my keys. It should never and I repeat Never take 15 minutes to check into a hotel paying almost $400 a night.

If you're going to price gauge then you probably should at least have the staff to take my money faster. Upon entering the room everything seemed in place and I proceeded to order room service. Astonishing at it was - the same person who checked me in took my room service order? I thought was he also going to deliver it? I also remembered at check in the agent was on the phone...he probably was taking room service orders! After I placed my order I realized I'd forgotten some toothpaste and other items. I got these items at the front desk and thankfully the line had gone away.

I did make it a point to inquire as to why registration took 15 minutes and the young kid with the red face from earlier said they were understaffed. I told him I had no idea how he did his job and simply said good luck. The Room Service was fine and it arrived within a reasonable amount of time. As I passed through the hotel a couple more times during the evening I realized that it was normal to have one person at the desk. Instead of waiting this time I just walked out to find a good cocktail bar on my on. The rest of the stay was fine but I will not support this type of corporate slavery. In closing the hotel needs to staff properly - Don't have guests wait for what seemed eternity to check in - Have an actual concierge - Where are the managers? Starwood should be ashamed.

2 Thank James P
Westinmpls, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear James P,
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our property on Trip Advisor. We appreciate that you have taken time to inform us of your point of view regarding your recent stay. It is feedback like yours that will assist us in ensuring that your experience does not affect future guests. I will share this with our team and will make the necessary corrections needed. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss your stay in further detail as we would like the opportunity to regain your trust in our hotel. Please accept my apology for your experience.
Warm Regards
WmnGM
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stayed at the Westin over a period of 2 months during a client project in the city. My experience there has been fantastic! Westin's Lauren Bosch has been an amazing host. She took me and a friend to dinner at the Bank restaurant and has been regularly helping us with our reservations. Lauren is professional, affable and has been one of the main reasons why we kept coming back to the Westin. She made our stay in Minneapolis a pleasure and even took out the time to show us around the city in her own time. Being a consultant, I've stayed at numerous hotels - however, I have found few of them with staff as dedicated and friendly as Lauren.

Also, shout out to Abraham in the Bank restaurant. Every morning he served us breakfast and his cheerful and friendly demeanor was a welcome relief during stressful days.

Can't wait to come visit again!

Cheers

Rezaur Rahman

Room Tip: Become friends with Lauren Bosch!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota United States
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I've had the pleasure of working in Minneapolis for the past several months, and I attribute a substantial portion of my enjoyment to The Westin Minneapolis. Let me explain.

My experience at the Westin recalls an excellent Wendy's advertisement that cautions diners against the seduction of restaurants' bells and whistles--light fixtures, fancy table cloths, etc. The enjoyment of these things, Wendy's correctly points out, is not free: decorative costs are passed onto diners, and constitute one major factor driving the price of food consumed with silverware in dimmed atmospheres so far above the expense of a simple, polymer-wrapped, hamburger.

I do not intend to categorize the Westin as the hotel-equivalent of grounded animal innards masquerading as beef. Far from it. But the Westin does clearly understand the essentiality of certain amenities to a pleasant hotel experience. And It provides all of these. But it does so while successfully avoiding kitschy, flamboyant demonstrations of 'coolness' clearly not worth their weight in pocket change--cheesy carpets, quirky lamp shades, an attendant standing in the elevator reciting a tired and alliterative hotel-promoting slogan.

By sparing guests these latter moments of never-lasting sensual excitement, the Westin remains affordable relative to its competitors, while maintaining a superior level of practical luxury. The Heavenly beds are fantastic; the rooms are sparklingly clean with adequate light; the food, especially at The Bank, is delicious, and the televisions are large, sturdily mounted, and prominently located. As someone who has stayed everywhere supposedly worth staying in Minneapolis, such a description could not honestly be applied to any other hotel in the entire city, price and panache notwithstanding.

Symbolically, my observations play themselves out at the front desk. When welcoming guests, desk agents smile warmly, recite the sort of polite & generic welcome normally encountered in real life, and do their best to provide a brief check-in experience--that is, if this is what the guest appears to desire. In their heads, they hold all sorts of information, but they spare the hurried or tired traveler from the tedium of hearing it unsolicited. (If asked, of course, they amiably jump into a quick and informative description of any hotel-related concern a traveler may have). Each week I reserve my room with Lauren in the back office (who is, I must say, the nicest, most genuine hotel representative I've had the pleasure of encountering), and either Jill or Steve is usually behind the desk waiting to greet me. Always they do so with kind, ingratiating, and sparsely worded hellos that nourish The Westin's welcoming atmosphere: The sort of atmosphere that appeals to real humans immersed in genuinely enjoyable life experiences.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I come to Minneapolis every week, and this is the nicest place I've stayed. The rooms are clean and comfortable, aesthetically pleasing, and practical for getting work done. Not to mention the Heavenly Bed and Heavenly Bath. The gym was recently renovated and is a great place to work out - clean, quiet, not crowded and plenty of brand-new equipment.

Room Tip: I prefer the standard rooms over the suites
Green Features: The "make a green choice" program is a fantastic way to rack up extra SPG points
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed May 7, 2013

While staying at this Westin for one night on a business trip to Minneapolis, I was surprised by couple of things. First, when driving up to the hotel, it was almost impossible to determine where the front entrance was from the street. There was no off street driveway or canopy as is usually found at Westins. I found out later that this hotel was converted from an old bank building in the downtown area. Quite a conversion! The rooms were the standard, upscale Westin, no problem. But they were not that special to command the $300 per night fee + $34 per night for valet parking (since there was no self-park associated with this hotel. It's not like my room had a view of the beach or the ocean or anything! And all I did was sleep there. So, per hour of sleep, it was an expensive snooze.
The fitness center was very nice, as usual for Westin. But upon checkout my receipt did not even show the name and location of the hotel. It looked like it came out of one of those old dot matrix printers without the tractor feed holes on each side. Not good from my accounting manager's perspective when I do my expense report!
The restaurant was upscale and served very good food. And the staff was cordial. But this was not enough to justify the high price and unusual access in my opinion.