New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

The Westin Minneapolis
Ranked #16 of 45 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Des Moines, Iowa
“Perfect Place for a Girl's Weekend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

A couple of my girlfriend's and I headed to Minneapolis for a weekend getaway. I had purchased a Groupon for the Westin in Minneapolis and was extremely excited to be staying at such a nice hotel for such a reasonable price. I had called ahead and talked to a representative that was recommended by Groupon to ensure that my reservation had went through and to also request a refrigerator and a view of downtown. I was reassured that this would not be an issue. Upon arrival, we did have to pay $34 for valet parking which is to be expected in downtown Minneapolis. There are parking garages close by that were cheaper, but it is much more convenient to park at the hotel. The hotel is absolutely beautiful. It is located inside an old bank that has been renovated. Staff was extremely friendly at check-in. My only complaint would be that we did not receive the additional refrigerator in our room as promised nor did we have a view of downtown. Our room faced some weird inner room area that was enclosed and did not have a view of the outside in any way. The rooms were extremely clean and the bathroom was large. We did visit the pool and hot tub which were both also very nice. The hotel is in a perfect location as there are plenty of bars and restaurants within walking distance. We were also able to hop on the train that is located directly behind the hotel and takes you to the Mall of America for a very small fee. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone that is looking for a great hotel located in a perfect location.

Room Tip: You may want to remind staff at check-in if you have any special requests for the room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank l0ve2travel_12

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was a very nice downtown hotel. The room size was nice compared to the Radisson nearby. Clean, great location, awesome rain shower head, and connected to the skyway. I did not give this hotel 5 stars because of the restaurant/bar staff. Waitress was not helpful and had an attitude. As stated on another review we missed having a plug near the bed for our phones. Not sure if I have a super sensitive nose, but the lobby area had a very strong floral smell that gave me a headache instantly. Beautiful hotel!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed at the Westin December 23rd 2013 for our 17th wedding aniversary. I sent a message to the hotel when booking that it was our aniversary-and wow! Did they pull out the stops for us. They said Happy Aniversary right off the bat, they gave us an upgrade with a wonderful city view and the experience was just grand. We were in town visiting family for Christmas and bragged to them about our stay in Minneapolis.

The only downside was the awkward pool situation-we were in the pool swimming and the cleaning people chose that time to come and clean the area around the pool, using loud vacumns and making lots of noise. It seemed weird that they do that when the pool was open and people were enjoying the pool. The pool was also (as was the hottub) WAY over chlorinated. We used to have a pool and know they were using too much chlorine. It would be nicer for the guests if they switched to bromine or something like a saltwater pool. Anyway, over all a stellar experience. Go WESTIN!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Got a nice rate prepaid as I'm a Marriott warrior (gold SPG though). Loved the room, great workout facility, bar is expensive, and in general a nice place. I don't understand how a room can be setup where the closest plugin for my phone is at least 5 ft from my bed. Seriously?

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I can't understand reviewers downgrading this hotel because of its view. Like many downtowns, there is no scenary and none of Minnesota's legitimate 10,000 lakes are located downtown, so a view of a building or rooftop is pretty much the only option for a central location. This hotel fills the bill. It is skyway connected. Too bad the city of Minneapolis only keeps skyways open for business people and tourists are left stuck out in the cold after 8 pm on weekends. The lobby and public areas are beautifully maintained in the original fashion of the former bank. The central restaurant and bar (Bank) is beautiful but I didn't try it. Our room was well equipped and a good size but we were upgraded to a King suite that had room for a sofa bed. I would imagine the standard rooms are small. The bathroom is too small, but very nice and spa like. (In our larger room they could have sacrificed some of the bedroom to create a larger bath, but that would probably not work in a standard room). Staff was efficient and friendly. Room decor was a bit sterile, but impecably clean welcoming and comfortable. You can save a lot of money using the skyway connected ramp rather than valet parking, unless you plan to go in and out frequently. Then,valet may be a better option as it includes unlimited in and out privledges.

Room Tip: Rooms nearer the elevator do pick up peoples voices as they enter and exit the elevator area and you...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dealaddict
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

This hotel is very clean, exceptionally maintained and run very well. However, if you are expecting a room with a view you might look elsewhere. I am not sure if every room is the same as ours was, but the bottoms of the windows in our room were about 5'+ off the ground. Which meant we had no view unless I went right up to the window to look outside. My wife (5'4") had to stand on a chair. Not a major deal, but a view would be nice. Only other minor complaint was that the front desk was unable to look up my SPG# (forgot to include it when I booked the room), so I had to spend about 5 minutes at the desk looking it up on my phone. The location is fabulous if you are going to any of the major venues downtown (Target Center, Target Field, State Theatre, etc). Also, many restaurants and bars nearby.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Aquaman_22
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

The best managed hotel I ever stayed
Nice and very clean
the workers very friendly and professional. I'm definitely coming back
and recommending for everyonl front desk is friendly and professional the room service is excellent
food is great, service perfect
the rooms nice and clean.

• Stayed February 2013