“Pretty Great Stay”

The Westin Minneapolis
Ranked #20 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 8, 2008

I stayed at this hotel in Sept of 2007 and had a fantastic stay. We were on floor 9 on an SPG floor, upgraded from the origional reservation ( I called the hotel in advance-we were celebrating my friend's bday). She was extremely impressed by the room-I am in the travel industry and thus a bit jaded, but it was her birthday!
The hotel itself was gorgous-tip-instead of paying the valet parking price, park right around the corner from the hotel for 5.00 (as long as you don't need your car the weekend).
There were a few issues with the bill after I left, but I called the hotel and they were immdiately taken care of. I also left a sweater there and they fed ex'ed it at no charge-great service!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank chisistas
There are newer reviews for The Westin Minneapolis

Reviewed January 5, 2008

A fan of old-world architecture I was excited to stay at this new property, located in a renovated historic building. Upon arrival we learned parking is all valet. While that was not a big issue, arrival and departure is a hassle, as there is little space to park and load/unload. Once we found the front desk check in was fine. As a Starwood member I expected and Unwind hour to be offered or a concierge floor, but neither was the case. I was a bit disappointed in the small bathrooms and tight quarters (I was in a traditional room) and my view was that of a building. My wife and I went off property for dinner, but ordered room service later in the evening as we wanted a snack. BIG MISTAKE. We would have been better off going to a gas station for a hot dog. All the staff we encountered seemed a bit somber, but were nice. Overall, the visit to The Westin Minneapolis wasn't overly impressive. I'd consider another hotel next time I visited Minneapolis.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank globetrotord
Reviewed November 18, 2007

The Westin Minneapolis is absolutely a beautiful hotel, however the service was ridiculously condescending. We had 6 executive rooms booked; yet the staff treated us horribly, most likely because we were college students. Check-in was a tedious process and they wanted cash damage deposits. We refused this request and were hassled for 20 minutes, finally a wonderful gentleman, Daryl, stopped the madness. Finally we were 'free' to go to our rooms, only to discover that 2 of them were yet to be cleaned from prior guests!

The day of our checkout we were once again hassled as we had valet park charges, which couldn't be possible, as we had driven a bus in. I explained to the concierge that I had parked the bus 3 blocks over in the public library open lot. She said that her valets could still park a bus, which is great, but they didn't park ours. Finally, my friend came over told the front desk we were leaving to go to our football game and that her attorney father would walk the 2 blocks from his firm in the AT&T tower on Monday to straighten the ordeal out. Surprise, surprise, we were free to go.

The point, check out other downtown hotels such as Graves 301, the Hyatt or IVVY hotel. They are just as classy and I have personally stayed at 2 of them and have been treated professionally. Until the Westin starts hiring educated personal who can treat ALL clients in an acceptable manner, I wholeheartedly urge you to STAY AWAY!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank Alpineskier086
Reviewed October 8, 2007

We stayed here at the end of June and loved it.
We were upgraded to a suite (as Hubby is a platinum SPG member).
The suite was really spaceous and very comfortable.
We had a drink in the bar (the old bank) it was expensive but good.
The hotel is in a very good location in Minneapolis, very close to shops and restaurants. I would go back again!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed September 6, 2007

The two best Westin properties are in the United States are in the midwest. St Louis Westin I would rank #1 but this is a close #2. Great bar atmosphere in the restaurant bank the rooms are hip. A must stay.

Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed September 3, 2007

I spent 3 nights at the Westin Minneapolis on business. The room was nice and had a big HDTV, but the overall stay was below average and was not a good value for the prices charged.

I checked in on a Saturday. After being away from the room all day on Sunday, I returned late in the evening to find that housekeeping had not cleaned the room. A hotel employee in the corridor happened to ask how my stay was, and I told him that nobody had made the bed or cleaned the room. He said he would notify the front desk immediately. Nobody arrived, but it was already pretty late. The next day, Monday, I was again away from the room all day. When I returned around 6pm, still nobody had been to the room. So now it had been 51 hours since I had checked in and still zero service. Also, I had not received the daily newspaper. This time I called the front desk myself. They sent two people to clean the room that evening.

As I said above, the room was nice. However, the "view" was the side of another building about 10 feet away. Also, this hotel had the strangest bathroom I have ever seen. Although the bathroom was quite large, it had virtually no counter space around the sink for personal items, nor were there any shelves. The toilet paper holder was mounted on the wall in such a poor position that it was necessary to sit at an angle on the commode to have room for one's right knee. The stall shower had a plate glass door that crashed into the metal robe hook on the back of the bathroom door if the shower door was opened too quickly ... it's a wonder the glass didn't break.

I felt that I was grossly overcharged for this room, particularly in view of the lack of service. I discovered in conversation that some other guests in the hotel had been offered a much lower room rate than what I was paying. I was also very insulted by this hotel's $12.95 daily Internet connection charge when other hotels with lower room rates charge less or provide free internet access. I spend at least 50 nights each year in hotels, so I am in a reasonable position to gauge value. This hotel did not provide value for the price.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank BusinessTraveler78
Reviewed August 22, 2007

Stayed for two nights at this new hotel. The building was previously a bank, making it structurally interesting. The decor around the lobby and public area are really decent. The rooms are spacious, looks modern and comfortable. You just can't beat these newly designed and built rooms, they are great. Swimming pool and exercise facility are both above average. The only downside of this hotel is the restaurant, the service needs improvement and the food is way overpriced.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business