“Very recommended”

The Westin Minneapolis
Ranked #19 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 11, 2012 via mobile

Location is excellent and the hotel is very good. The rooms are clean, large and modern. The restaurant is good. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2012
Write a ReviewReviews (1,141)

Reviewed May 9, 2012

I stayed here for one night recently on a business trip and had a very good experience. I heard from a colleague that this building used to be a bank and I liked how some of the features have been retained. The lobby is a little hard to navigate through at first, but I liked the high ceilings, the ambiance, and the small rooms on the sides. The wine cellar is the old vault of the bank, which is unique.

As a Platinum, I was upgraded to a suite, which was huge. The living room had several couches and a small dining table. The bathroom was spacious and bright. There were two flat screen TVs, ample power outlets, and several free bottles of water.

I had dinner at the restaurant with colleagues and the food was very good. I also ordered breakfast via room service which was also good.

There were a few small issues why I'm not rating this a "five." On the large couch in my room, there was what appeared to be smudges of white paint. There were no door hanging breakfast orders and I had to call to have one delivered. When they brought my breakfast in, I had to point out that they had forgotten the juice, but it was promptly corrected. These were all minor complaints.

Overall, very good experience and I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Westin standard. I book to stay at Westin hotels because the beds really are comfy. The hallways were nice and wide. I really like that I couldn't hear anyone at any point in my stay once I was in my room. Some hotels you can hear people's TVs and alarm clocks. Loved the quiet. I was on the 11th floor. My colleague was on the 7th floor (Starwood preferred floor) and she was kept up literally half the night on our first night there (Sat night). Security didn't seem to be able to do anything. People were running from room to room letting the doors slam shut. So, I was kinda glad that my Starwood membership had been discontinued (didn't travel much last yr) so I didn't get placed on the noisy Starwood preferred floor. My only disappointment was with their inability to fix the in room safe. I would have asked to be moved but had already unpacked. It was a huge inconvenience to keep stuff in my colleagues room. They said to bring my stuff and use the safes at the front desk but that would have been an even bigger pain. I would stay there again though.

Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed April 26, 2012

We stayed here recently while downtown to enjoy a concert and it was a great choice. The hotel has a great clean feel to it and they did a good job converting it from the bank that it used to be. The check-in area was a little strange as it was basically in the BANK dining area...it was a little weird walking by diners to get checked in. Otherwise the room itself was very nice. There was a great work area separate from the bed area for those who need it. The bathroom was great with the huge tile shower with double-heads. The vanity even had a nice bright light around it which my wife loved. The bed itself was very comfortable and there was a nice flat-screen TV as well. The one downside was that there was a $4 charge for each bottle of water...not a big deal as you expect in-room stuff to be expensive but that was a little harsh. Also it is a fancier hotel so again not a real issue, just an annoyance for those not expecting it (no free breakfast either for those used to that sort of thing at hotels, we did know that ahead of time but be warned it isn't cheap). There isn't much of a view as you are literally in the middle of downtown so its all buildings but the room was very relaxing and a very easy walk to everything, including Target Center and Target Field. Would definitely stay again if needed.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank callen33
Reviewed April 19, 2012

My Fiancee and I had tickets to a show in Minneapolis last weekend and wanted to do something special so we got a Suite at the Westin. The room was beautiful and very clean. The staff were very friendly and accomodating and we had a wonderful time!! We would and will definitley recommend this property to others.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2012

We booked our rooms through Expedia only to check in at the hotel and have them say they double booked and don't have a room for us. Hotel staff offered no compensation. This same scenario happened to another group checking in who used Orbitz to book. Supervisor Claudia was terribly rude and not helpful.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank Mv198
Westinmpls, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear Westin Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your experience with our staff while staying at the Westin. Please accept my sincere apology. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss your experience at our hotel in greater detail,

Thank you.

Warm Regards,
Mark Deinhart

Reviewed April 13, 2012

I am staying here while planning for an upcoming wedding. We have blocked rooms for our family and friends to stay here so I was happy to try it out before everyone arrives for the summer event. Now I am sure I have made a great choice. The building, being an old bank, has much more character than a generic chain hotel. The group sales office, Mr. Adam Levy in particular, has been wonderful in getting our group set up. I was able to see the available rooms for a pre-wedding gathering and it will be just right for our needs. All of the staff I have encountered have been professional and friendly. They have a can do attitude so that helps me to feel that they are willing to take the extra steps to make everyone feel comfortable. And, speaking of comfortable...the bed is great and just what I needed to come back to after a busy day.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo