“Mixed experience”

The Westin Minneapolis
Ranked #21 of 52 Hotels in Minneapolis
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Second time staying here. First time upgraded to amazing suite with nice view. Not fair to expect again, but this time room is fine, but view is of office building 10 feet away. Promised free wireless upon check-in, but no wireless shows up in room. No remote for TV to be found anywhere. I know this hotel is better than this, but I'm a bit disappointed this time around.

• Stayed: June 2011
Write a ReviewReviews (1,134)

Reviewed June 20, 2011

This is THE place to stay in Minneapolis. Great rooms. Great lobby and lobby bar. Excellent Popcorn Shrimp. A wonderful blend of the old (former bank building) and new (Westin quality). Great place right in the center of town.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank SleeplessInWhereever
Reviewed June 16, 2011

This is a very nice property a block from the Nicollette Mall and all the sights and sounds. We enjoyed many things about our stay, but will never return by car. There is no off-street access to the hotel, and since we were only there for one night, it threatened to ruin our stay. For those who are interested, I've posted a copy of an email I sent to the hotel general manage five days ago. I have not received a reply. The rooms, staff and the property generally are all first-rate, but I'll never darken their door again.

Note to Westin Minneapolis General Manager Mark Deinhart:

Dear Mr. Deinhart:

Thank you for your note. You have a beautiful property.

Unfortunately, the access to your hotel is inadequate. When we arrived in downtown Minneapolis at about 4:30 pm on Saturday, June 4th, there were three rows of barricades on S. Sixth St. in front of your main entrance, and no way to access the front door. After circling for literally a half hour, we finally figured out that we had to nearly run over one of the cones to get to the valet parking.

A nice gentleman greeted us at our car and informed us that we had two options for parking. One was the valet option for $30. The other was just around the corner on Marquette, for $5. We sent my wife and daughter and luggage to the room, while I wheeled around the corner to the parking garage. I pulled up to the gate arm, but no ticket was presented, and the gate arm wouldn't go up. I backed down the ramp and parked in a no parking zone, walked back across the street to the Westin, and spoke with a very nice front desk manager, Kendra. She outlined a couple of other options a block or two away.

At this point, I had had enough driving around downtown. Kendra, after explaining that the hotel had no affiliation with the Marquette St. parking garage company, called them to come fix the gate arm. No one answered, but apparently a security guard was dispatched.

After some further discussion, Kendra, to her credit, finally agreed to provide the valet parking at no charge. Once again, Kendra carefully explained that the Westin had no affiliation with the valet parking company, either.

By the time I got to the room, it was nearly 6 pm.

Our stay otherwise was delightful, and the staff, especially Kendra, were very helpful. It was not without one more glitch, however, as when I awoke the next morning, the $30 charge for the parking was on my bill. This was quickly rectified by the front desk early the next morning.

I have a few recommendations.

Build an adequate parking pullout for arriving guests somewhere on Marquette or 6th. This part of your hotel is broken.
Don't direct guests to a parking structure where there are known problems. It turns out that the other person at the front desk knew that there had been problems with the gate arm earlier in the afternoon.
Provide assurance to your guests that when they turn the keys to their car over to someone on your property, it is a seamless part of staying at the hotel, a not a gamble, because of the nature of your business relationship.

Early on the morning of June 5, I got up and walked down the Nicollete mall to the convention center. I have visited Minneapolis several times, and I had a great chance to remind myself of where the many hotels and restaurants were located, without the distraction of car and truck traffic and virtually no other pedestrians. During my walk, I considered where I would stay on a return visit to your wonderful city. I'm not sure if it would be the Westin.

Jim Marshall

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ProRecreator
Westinmpls, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2011

Dear Westin Guest,

Thank you for your feedback in regards to your recent stay at The Westin Minneapolis. Please accept my personal apology for the inconvenience you incurred during your arrival and that you were made to feel as your feedback was not valued. Unfortunately, neither the hotel nor I received the email that you have posted on TripAdvisor outlining the issues you faced during your attempt to park at our hotel. I greatly appreciate all feedback received, as it helps us improve and serve our guests better.

The City of Minneapolis has just started work on 6th street that will be a part of the 2011 Downtown Street Resurfacing project that will be completed this fall. On the evening of your arrival the hotels’ valet parking lane was shut down (with no notice to us) as traffic was redirected for preliminary work for their upcoming project. Unfortunately, The Westin does not own or operate a parking ramp, we only offer Valet Parking. When referring business to a neighboring parking garage, our valet associate was not aware the entrance to the garage was not operating correctly, for this again I am sorry for the frustration this caused.

Thank you for the positive feedback on our Desk associate and the overall Westin property being beautiful. Our goal is to have every guest enjoy a hassle free stay and depart feeling refreshed and renewed. Unfortunately, I realize it did not start out that way for you and your family. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss this unfortunate experience with your stay in greater detail at anytime.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed June 14, 2011

The furniture in room was soiled and views are poor. Staff seemed elusive in trying to get assistance on basic services during the stay.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Westinmpls, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2011

Dear Westin Guest,

I would like to thank you for your feedback on your experience while staying at the Westin. Please accept my personal apology for your disappointment during your visit. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss your stay in greater detail,

Stay Well,

Reviewed June 13, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Westin Minneapolis downtown for a friend's wedding back in mid-May, and even though I am typically always impressed by Westin properties, this one was extra-special. Here's why: our room was available very early in the day (around 11 am), and the room we obtained as Starwood Preferred Guests was a gorgeous corner room on the top floor next to the room where our friends were staying. I am a huge fan of historic buildings that have been renovated and turned into hotels, so as a grand bank of the early 1940s, the architecture and styling of this property really drew me in. The lobby and restaurant are in the main area of the former bank, and the celing and architectural detailing are awesome - check them out. I loved the room - although we didn't have a view at all (the office building next door was really close), the size, cleanliness, and amenities of the room made it worthwhile (we didn't spend enough time in the room during the day for a view to matter). The bathroom was amazing - huge in size, great lighting for makeup application, and the shower was to die for. Westins are known for their Heavenly Showers, but this one was a huge walk-in shower, full-tile, and with the two shower heads AND three jets from the other direction. We also loved that the Westin was directly connected to the Sky Way system for easy access to great shopping, city-walking, and dining. We were able to walk to the wedding venue without stepping outside (it was an unusually chilly weekend). We'll be back there next time we return to Minneapolis!

Room Tip: If on the top floor, ask for a corner room
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We absolutely loved our stay at the Westin. The accomodations were incredibly comfortable. Additionally, the service was outstanding and the hotel was gorgeous. It also helped that the Westin is very centrally located downtown, where all things of interest were well within walking distance. When we're in Minneapolis going forward, I imagine we will invariably stay at the Westin.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2011

I stayed at the Westin for 2 nights for business and I was very impressed by the customer service I received. Due to some confusion with the claim tickets and my other bags, I accidentally left my briefcase (and laptop) in the bag check area at the hotel upon my departure for the airport. When I called the hotel from the airport after realizing this, they quickly sent a courier to deliver my bag to the airport in plenty of time before my flight took off. The expense for the courier was paid by the Westin. This is a level of customer service that I have not experienced anywhere else.

The hotel was also very clean and comfortable.

The catered breakfasts, lunches and snacks for our business meeting were exceptional.

Overall the stay was great!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Westinmpls, General Manager at The Westin Minneapolis, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2011

Dear Westin Guest,

I wanted to take a moment to say "thank you" for your great feedback in regards to your recent stay at our Westin Minneapolis. I often say to our team that feedback is a gift, anyway you receive it.. It is always very special when you hear the positive feedback from our Starwood guests. I am delighted to hear that our team made a true difference in your experience while you were with us. I will share your positive feedback with the entire Westin Team as positive recognition is very important for our associates. Please let me know the next time you will be returning to our Westin as I would love to say hello and assist you with even the smallest of details you may have.

Warm Regards