“Tasty Palestinian/Mid Eastern cuisine. Tapas especially good”
Review of Saffron - CLOSED

Saffron
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 1st Avenue & 3rd Street
Transit: If you are taking the light rail to downtown Minneapolis, we are only 2 blocks away from the last stop at first Ave.
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

A great restaurant, with interesting and tasty dishes. Service very friendly and informative, place was a little loud for our tastes. As appetizers, try the croquettes, spicey bulger burgers, bastirma, and spicey octopus. All excellent. The veggie and fish tangines were excellent, but the sauce for the veggie one was a little heavy. Lamb terrine also good, but not excellent, as was the sea bass. Two excellent desserts: kunafa, butterscotch moose.

There are newer reviews for Saffron

Reviewed February 20, 2013

My girlfriend and I were very excited to dine in the cities last weekend. We drove down from Duluth for a post Valentine's Day date. The host had our table ready a good time ahead of our reservation. Service was the perfect balance between formal/informative and friendly/relaxed. We ordered 8 appetizers and asked the server to course them for us. He did a wonderful job. Our favorites were the hummus with bastirma and crunchy chickpeas, lamb bacon BLT, and foie stuffed figs. I have to say that unfortunately the desserts didn't quite hold up to the wonderful appetizers. They were, however, very good. The kunafa was a little hard to eat (seemed abnormally tough) but had great flavor. The chocolate terrine seemed a little generic but the blood orange sorbet on top was PHENOMINAL. I could eat a whole bowl of that!

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Saffron turned out to be a great place for a fun Saturday night dinner with friends visiting the Twin Cities from out of town. Having recently moved to Minneapolis, I had not yet found a Mediterraanean style restaurant, and now I need to look no further. This was a nice departure from the standard bread-salad-dinner-dessert dining experience. We primarily ordered items off the tapas/appetizer menu and after a few rounds of tapas plus one entree that all four of us shared, we were pleasantly full. The tagine was great and many of the tapas items were unique and flavorful. The wine selection was decent and our server was extremely helpful in making suggestions. The atmosphere was hip and cozy at the same time. Save room for the salted caramel trifle for dessert - it was incredible! We made a reservation and were glad we did as it was pretty full on a Saturday night.

Reviewed January 11, 2013

had a great time. highly recomended, the tangines were great. wait person was fun and great. wine prices very reasinable. greaat value. we would very definitly come back again.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

I understand things can be pricey when dining at a good restaurant, which is no problem. The overall experience I had wasn't superb, that is the problem. Me and six other friends were there to celebrate one of our friends' birthday. When I looked up their menu online, we were very surprised they didn't have enough menu to choose from, only had 5 or 6 different entrees and few other dishes under other names (a lot of apps and small plates though). Among those 5 or 6 entrees, two of us were the only lucky ones who enjoyed the meal, roasted chicken, compared other friends who ordered BLT sandwich with a lamb bacon or some kind of lamb stew which tasted really odd. I paid $19 for just a leg and thigh and a side that looks like a big spring roll or burrito but it was tasty so I won't complain but their hummus, fried cauliflower and meatballs were just okay for the price.

I didn't like the interior as well, being an Asian I am not trying to be offensive to Chinese but the restaurant interior really looked like an average Chinese restaurant with aged wooden table and chairs, besides nicely colored interior walls and a bar. The service was great-- our waiter was very helpful and attentive all the time, and friendly as well. If you're going there for a date, you'd better be careful when you order, as you may success with good drinks and few dishes or you may ruin your night if you choose the wrong food.