“very good food great service.”
Review of Saffron - CLOSED

Saffron
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 1st Avenue & 3rd Street
Transit: If you are taking the light rail to downtown Minneapolis, we are only 2 blocks away from the last stop at first Ave.
Reviewed January 11, 2013

had a great time. highly recomended, the tangines were great. wait person was fun and great. wine prices very reasinable. greaat value. we would very definitly come back again.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

I understand things can be pricey when dining at a good restaurant, which is no problem. The overall experience I had wasn't superb, that is the problem. Me and six other friends were there to celebrate one of our friends' birthday. When I looked up their menu online, we were very surprised they didn't have enough menu to choose from, only had 5 or 6 different entrees and few other dishes under other names (a lot of apps and small plates though). Among those 5 or 6 entrees, two of us were the only lucky ones who enjoyed the meal, roasted chicken, compared other friends who ordered BLT sandwich with a lamb bacon or some kind of lamb stew which tasted really odd. I paid $19 for just a leg and thigh and a side that looks like a big spring roll or burrito but it was tasty so I won't complain but their hummus, fried cauliflower and meatballs were just okay for the price.

I didn't like the interior as well, being an Asian I am not trying to be offensive to Chinese but the restaurant interior really looked like an average Chinese restaurant with aged wooden table and chairs, besides nicely colored interior walls and a bar. The service was great-- our waiter was very helpful and attentive all the time, and friendly as well. If you're going there for a date, you'd better be careful when you order, as you may success with good drinks and few dishes or you may ruin your night if you choose the wrong food.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

Tasteless tagine in restaurant which prides itself on being spice friendly. Appetisers were very good. service was good as well, wish food was better

Reviewed November 27, 2012

I was here on business with two others and we originally planned on eating at another nearby restaurant. Fortunately, the other place had a long wait on a Monday night and we noticed Saffron was very close. The restaurant atmosphere is contemporary and comfortable. You can smell the spices as soon as you walk in the door. The menu is creative with a range of tapas, lighter fare and entrees. We selected three tapas sized appetizers for the table: Turk Hummus, Grilled Haloumi Cheese and Lamb Brain (yes, you read that properly). I originally wasn't planning on trying the Lamb Brain, however I had to give it a go when it came out. It actually wasn't bad -- it had the texture of tofu with a slight mineral taste. It was served with tomatoes and overall rather pleasant. Not what I was expecting and I would have never known it was lamb's brain if someone didn't tell me in advance. I enjoyed the Haloumi cheese, while the others didn't care for it as much. It is a "squeaky" cheese when you chew it. The Hummus was tasty and came with pita bread. For dinner, my other party members both ordered the Gnocci and I opted for the Branzini. The Gnocci looked tasty with lots of fresh vegetables and a cheese fondue sauce. The Branzini came out with fried grape leaves and I ordered a mushroom farrotto to compliment the meal. The fish was tasty, cooked perfectly, no bones. It is served whole, but given it was deboned it is very easy to eat. The farrotto was essentially a mushroom risotto -- just a tad too salty for my preference. Overall, a great dining experience and I'd recommend it for both business and personal dining.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Saffron has an inventive menu which doesn't try so hard as to be baffling. We had several tapas to start, the fried cauliflower and chicken/mushroom dumplings, as well as a tuna tartar. All were good. The best of the meal was the whole branzini, an italian sea bass, which was roasted, with tender flesh. The surroundings are inventive and vibrant.