“In a word -NO”

Le Meridien Chambers Minneapolis
Ranked #19 of 50 Hotels in Minneapolis
Reviewed September 5, 2008

Ah, where to begin.
The good -heated bathroom floors and location.
The bad and the ugly -- The snooty staff, the group of doormen who stood around while I struggled to open the door myself, the cleaning staff who threw away my soap half way through my 8 day stay... This place is too kool for skool. I felt like I was staying at a hair salon where the staff is all dressed in black, hip music is always playing, and the place facies itself an art gallery, too. While 20-somethings may find this appealing. As a couple in our mid-t0-late 30's we did not. We are notinterested in being cool, we are interested in customer service. This place failed pretty miserably in that department. Here is why:
1) At check-in the woman asked us numerous times if we were together. Hmmmm...ok. But what part of yes, is not understood?
2) Sometimes the group of doormen ignored us and other times they asked too many questions. When running out in the evening, I don't want to answer 20 questions.
3) The cookies from room service were simply the cookies from an earlier reception we attended at the hotel and tasted like plastic.
4) Its true, the hotel has wi-fi, but having to sign in to their network with a special password every single time you go on the internet is a deterrernt and a plain old pain in the...
5) Half way through our visit , our internet password was de-activated for no apparent reason.
6) One afternoon part way through our stay, and after our room had been cleaned, I got in the shower only to discover my own personal soap was gone.
7) On another day when we were nearly out of toilet paper, house cleaning did not bother to leave us any more.
8) There is no towel rack near shower so if you forget to bring a towel with you to the shower... and there is no tub.
I would not stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank rakawa

Reviewed July 20, 2008

I recently decided that I had spent enough nights and airport Westins, Hiltons, and Marriotts, and that it was time to forgo hotel chain points to stay at boutiques in walkable downtown areas. As one of the few midwestern cities outside Chicago that has a good choice of boutiques, Minneapolis was the perfect place to try something different.

Chambers is over-the-top modern, with art downstairs, and most notably, video screens playing silent, arty scenes in the hallways and by the elevators. When I turned the key into the door of the room they gave me, wasn't sure if I'd see a bed or a video screen displaying a Kraftwerk concert.

The room was understated, the bed very comfortable, and the bathroom unusual, especially the nearly flat sink that drained to the back, not the normal hole in the center. This is the kind of place you might see in NYC or SF, but would be put off by the room rates. However, with Minneapolis prices, Chambers was a great place to try something different for a night without spending three times my airfare on the hotel stay.

• Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank 50States_17
Reviewed July 5, 2007

Stayed for two nigths and loved the decor and modern interior. Also ate Dinner at the fabulous restaurant. Great location. Very hip staff, casual and friendly. Would definitely stay again. Great room, huge walk-in shower.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
3  Thank TravelAdorer
Reviewed June 16, 2007

Tired of doing too much travel for work, but in need of a little vacation, we decided to cross the river from St. Paul to Minneapolis for a fun weekend getaway. We had heard of the Chambers Hotel Minneapolis, and the advertised boutique experience seemed to fit the bill. We found some discounted rates on Expedia for the Studio room and booked it for a Saturday night stay. I called from home earlier on Saturday to ask for an earlier check-in and a complimentary upgrade. The staff said they would put a note on our reservation for both of those requests but could not confirm them until check in. Both were granted! We got a complimentary upgrade to the Deluxe room. The check-in experience was very pleasant and the room, while having a minimalist decor, was very comfortable. The feather bed was wonderful! We did not check-out the fine dining at the hotel as we had plans for a couple meals elsewhere, but we did have a continental breakfast at the cafe on Sunday morning. The service was great, the coffee very good, the pastries very fresh, but the OJ was from a carton, not fresh squeezed. I would have expected fresh squeezed. Picky, picky picky. Overall we had a very nice time and would return. Solera Tapas bar and restaurant is right across the street and so is the Orpheum Theater. Both were part of our little vacation, and the great Chambers location could not be beat. We recommend it!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CariocaGirl
Reviewed March 21, 2007

Minneapolis is full of hip, boutique hotels. This was my first visit to the Chambers, and I was pleasantly surprised. Check-in was seamless, although I am always stunned to find hotels that still use "keys"...which they do. The art in the hotel is contemporary and stunning. There are plasma TV's in all of the corridors to guest rooms. They are muted so no sound to distract. My room was fairly small, but equipped very nicely. 42" LG Plasma in the bedroom, and a smaller version in the bathroom. An insanely comfy bed with featherbed and duvet. Blackout curtains for privacy. The bathroom is awesome and frustrating! Heated floors, sublime shower head, vast array of EO Product toilettries (including lip balm), super cool sink, and great lighting. The downside is there is no place to set "stuff". I know a "girl complaint", but it bugged me...especially when the bathroom is beautiful in white mosaics and turquoise glass tiles! Plush, large towels, and a cozy robe. Hotel has WiFi and it's "free" to guests. The ring of the phone is in a strong European tradition. They effortlessly arranged car service for me to the airport.
Overall, a great stay. I far prefer the rooms at Chambers to those at 601 Graves (f/k/a Le Meridien).

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank KiddDallas
Reviewed November 28, 2006

I heard good things about this new hotel in Minneapolis. Booked a mid-level room for an introductory price. Once I arrived it seemed they had plenty of rooms, despite the fact that the front desk had told me they were close to full. I liked the first room they gave me but because I was told I would have something facing the street when I made the reservation, I called the front and they moved me to a great suite. I liked a lot about this property but I felt they still had some kinks to work out. For example, the room wasn't kept as clean as should have been, there were no robes and the anxious maid service called the room to inquire when I would be leaving for the day. Room service was okay. An order of an egg white omelet resulted in a mass of runny whites that had to be sent back. No offer was made to take the breakfast off the bill. When I inquired at the front desk I was asked "if I was ever coming back" before they took half the charge off. The whole process seemed a little rinky dink for a hotel with such lofty aspirations. I would try this property again but I would hope that the service would match the impressive design and decor.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled solo
4  Thank MichaelJA
Reviewed November 26, 2006

My fiance and myself usually stay at "W" hotels but decided to look into the chambers seeing that it was being build right down the street from where we live. We had a romantic night in one of the mid-level rooms. The bed, as usually in botique hotel rooms, was amazing. The shower was pretty cool. As far as the bathroom goes, it looked nice, but with all of the tiles it gets a bit slippery after you take a shower.
The valet lost our car. (took them over an hour and they said they would comp us... they didn't)
The lobby lounge was nice, our server was new, so she was a bit slow. But that is understandable. The resturant had excellent food.. however they were over an hour late on our reservatoni. They gave us a free round of drinks.... but I have a feeling they don't have a logical hierarchy of power simply because 4 different people (the waitress to the manager) told us we are getting free drinks.
After dinner we went to the "club" upstairs and we were greated by a very odd neon sign that says something along the lines of "United $%king States of America" Seriously!? The room looked like a disco and not a nice lounge bar. They need to figure out a darker color scheme upstairs cause I seiriously felt like I was in a wanna be club in the midwest..... ohh wait I was.
Overall. nice hotel. Next time I think I will stay that the Graves 601 nearby.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple