“Possibly too fancy for it's own good”

Le Meridien Chambers Minneapolis
Ranked #19 of 49 Hotels in Minneapolis
Los Angeles, California
“Possibly too fancy for it's own good”
Reviewed July 23, 2011

My husband and I like to stay at the Westin when we travel. We found them to be all booked up for the weekend of the Fourth of July, when we were in town for a family wedding, but they recommended Le Meridien, so we thought we would give it a try. It was an interesting experience.

There is nothing technically wrong with the hotel. In fact it has many things to recommend it. It is clean, with artwork in the foyers, hallways and on every wall. Not all of this artwork was to our taste, but it was certainly interesting. The rooms are large,with comfortable beds and sitting areas. The staff were willing to help when needed. The hotel has a nice location, downtown and close to activities, shopping and dining. Finally, there was a restaurant attached to the hotel, which (while we did not get a chance to sample the menu) both smelled good and had a delectable menu.

However, there were some disappointments as well. They do not warn you that there is no parking at this hotel - you have to pay for valet every day, and the price is relatively steep. Your other option is one of the street parking garages located in the blocks around the hotel - these are expensive as well. On another note, the bathroom had a fancy modern design... which would be fine except that since the wall was made of glass you can see people while they shower (disconcerting if it is anyone other than your significant other, or if someone is showering when people come to your room). Also, this glass wall means that the whole room lights up when one of your party visits the restroom in the middle of the night. I was not pleased to be woken at 3 AM to a bright room just because my husband had to use the restroom and turned on the lights. Also, the sink splashes water everywhere! Finally, someone from an outside line called our room directly in the middle of the night - it was a wrong number - we have never had that happen to us in a hotel before.

If we find ourselves in Minneapolis again, we will certainly try another hotel before booking here again, but I wouldn't altogether say I would never ever stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Minneapolis
Reviewed July 10, 2011

My wife and I decided to stay here for a quick one-day getaway. The hotel was very nice, however, we were very dissappointed that there was no free wi-fi access. We have never stayed at a hotel that made you pay $12.95 for ONE DAY of wi-fi access. Also they gave you no information on local dining, so if you are not from the area your only choice is to eat at their restaurant since you cannot do any research on the local food (unless you pay for their internet access). We did like the art and the style of the room. Beds were comfy, but it would have been a much better experience if we had a basic thing like the internet available to us.

To be fair, the beds were great! Also the service was very nice. When we asked for ice delivered to our room they were very quick. Also when checking out and in the people at the desk helped us very quickly and were very informative. Hotel is VERY clean!!!

Also, walls are paper-thin. We heard people in the next room adjusting their window shades like they were right next to us. And when people were walking in the halls the noise just bounced around off of the hard walls. It sounded like there was an army of people coming down the hall whenever anyone passed.

Overall I would not recommend this hotel though. Very overpriced. And to not include a service like wi-fi in the pricing just makes it seem like they are nickle-and-diming you.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FunkyasFlea
Reviewed June 30, 2011

This is our third stay at Chambers. We rent the room each Pride. The staff has accommodated our request for late checkout each time. We have used the balcony to watch the parade. As it is Pride, we often have visitors stop by during The parade. The hotel has been accepting and welcoming. Jason the manager is great.

The beds are really comfortable and the shower is great. Amazing location. Stay here!

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Chadminneapolis
Los Angeles
Reviewed June 26, 2011

I need to travel to MSP for one day ... guess what the NHL Draft is in St. Paul. So after some difficulty getting a hotel including an offer a 2.5 hour drive from Duluth, I end up here. I was delayed getting in and so called ahead - they were holding my reservation (in fact, they had called my mobile to leave a msg to that effect while I was in the air) and had limited room service after midnight - could the chef make something before he left! OK!

So I ordered the ravoli.

The taxi driver from MSP airport took me to the Millenium .... My English and his Afsoomaali took a while to jive but the front desk staff directed him in with a mix of English and Arabic!

Rooms are large, some have balconies. Bed comfortable, large shower but no bath, at least in my room. Breakfast in the morning was al carte in the Italian restaurant. Great food beautifully present. They look to have bar with a nice selection of cocktails and wine by the glass - a selection that is eclectic another to be interesting by my brief review.
Criticism? - they were a little slow at breakfast but I was surrounded by the anonymous Hockey Hall of Fame, scarred, limited native teeth, habitus big and separate checks ... a table service nightmare for the staff but handled with aplomb.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 11, 2011

This was a great little place. A limited number of rooms but they're spacious. The bed was really comfortable and the wall table was a great workspace. With the beautiful weather during my trip, windows that opened were a huge plus for letting fresh air in at night. Nice sized bathroom and shower. The staff were helpful and friendly. This hotel is right at the edge of the theater district but only about 2 blocks to the heart of downtown. Fabulous restaurant right across the street (Crave) but there were tons of places within walking distance. I highly recommend the lemon ricotta pancakes for breakfast as they were heaven! The hotel is filled with art and connected to a gallery that you are free to access. (Some gallery artwork would be inappropriate for children but the hotel was fine.) The hotel has a relaxing aroma to it. I don't know if it was some type of air freshner but you immediately notice it's calming affect when you enter the hotel. I would recommend this to anyone traveling for business or pleasure.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank batman8072
Chad_LMC, Manager at Le Meridien Chambers Minneapolis, responded to this review, June 13, 2011
Hello batman8072,

We want to thank you for taking the time to let us know how we did and how your experience was at Le MERIDIEN Chambers Minneapolis! We are so pleased you enjoyed yourself and we hope you will join us again on a future trip to Minneapolis.

Best Regards,

Chad
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 13, 2011

Le Meridien hotel in Minneapolis has a super cool art gallery as part of their decor. And the attention to detail to create this cool experience is incredibly well done from the strange videos in the bathrooms to the custom designed "sound experience" in the elevator to the unusual items for sale at the front desk. The rooms were spacious, well designed and clean and the service and location were excellent. Highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2011
Crystal, Minnesota
Reviewed February 28, 2011

Booked one night here on Hotwire. It was great! The room was good sized, the bathroom was big, and the shower was excellent with a nice big shower head where the water came straight down from the ceiling. The bed was very comfortable too! The only thing I didn't like was the pillow was very hard, but I'm used to a down filled really soft one. It was a great stay!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple