“Gotta have a reservation”
Review of Spoonriver

Spoonriver
Ranked #80 of 1,800 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown
Columbus, Nebraska
“Gotta have a reservation”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We went at an odd hour so were only able to order off their bar menu. But it was really good. We want to make a reservation and try it for dinner some time.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Linda W

Minneapolis
“Great food”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Spoonriver is one of those completely dependable restaurants, where you know you will get something that is interesting, and really good. They specialize in organic and local foods. The menu varies, depending on what is in season, and on what the chef decides to put together. I have never been disappointed. It is right across the street from the Guthrie, so it is a good choice for a pre-show dinner. Make reservations, however, as it is a very busy place.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank GingerT73
T K, General Manager at Spoonriver, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
I want to thank you for the great review you gave to Spoonriver on TripAdvisor. We very much appreciate your discerning nature and the fact that you mentioned that we specialize in local and organic is crucial to our mission. Thanks again!
Timothy
Minneapolis
“Fresh and innovative”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I took a colleague visiting from Ohio to Spoonriver on a whim. I hadn't been there before an we were just looking for coffee on a very cold day after visiting Mill City Museum. As it was in between lunch and dinner, we had the place to ourselves and it felt cozy like home while modern retro like the decor. The coffee was GREAT and the pear and something dessert I had was FANTASTIC. We sat for easily 2 hours and never felt pressure to leave. Very relaxed and comfortable. Recommend if in the area.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank CordyKat
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Service good, food ok... just not our thing.”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We went to Spoonriver with a group of 12 prior to an evening event on a Friday night. My review is somewhat biased, as my wife and I are mostly traditional (pasta, burgers, chops, steaks, wraps) type of people. Thus, the menu selection for us was pretty limited. We started with a couple of appetizers; bbq chicken quesadillas and spoon dips (hummus), which were both pretty good. I was able to find salmon on the menu, which I found to be pretty good as well. My wife's only choice was a chicken caesar salad. She isn't a salad person, so she didn't care for it that much. The service was good and prompt.

The layout of the restaurant is odd; a long narrow hallway type feel. The temperature inside was also very warm. The thermometer was set to 72, but the actual temp was 85.

If you're looking for vegetarian/organic/locally grown options, then I'd give it a try. As for my wife and I, we likely won't go back, as this place just isn't our thing.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Chris W
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrific”
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

My dinner was great. I ordered the seafood special. Fish was perfectly done. The ingredients in the accompanying salad were fresh and flavorful. The deserts were good, but not great. It was also great to be able to walk along the river afterward. The staff was courteous and attentive.

• Visited June 2013