“Very Good Malaysian Food”

Peninsula Malaysian Cuisine
Ranked #297 of 1,835 Restaurants in Minneapolis
Cuisines: Malaysian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We've been eating here for quite a while now, and one of the great things about this restaurant is that for the most part it is quite consistent. The food here never disappoints. There are a few things on the menu that aren't exactly our favorite, but we usually just avoid those items. The spicy tofu, braised duck, and Hainanese chicken is always good. The spicy tofu is definitely my favorite dish because the tofu always comes out crispy on the outside but soft on the inside. The chicken satay appetizer and fried bananas with ice cream are also very good. We've only been to Malaysia once, but I have to admit that this restaurant is probably better than some of the hyped up restaurants in Malaysia. This is probably one of the better Asian restaurants in Minnesota.

1  Thank Potato314

Reviewed November 7, 2012

As someone who has traveled to Singapore and Malaysia several times, I will vouch for the authenticity of Peninsula's food. So if you are hankering for beef rendang, Hainanese chicken rice, or roti, you can surely find it here tasting about the same as if you were at a hawker stand in KL... just more expensive.

As for the environs, just don't expect this to be upscale dining. I went about a month ago but I still remember the table being sticky and service average. Sure, if you were in SE Asia, sticky tables are commonplace. But then again, you'd be getting better food at a better price! So it's a compromise.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

I have been to Peninsula many times alone, with family, with friends. The food never disappoints. The menu is huge and it should be easy to find something you'll love whether it be chicken, beef, pork, seafood or vegetarian. They also have soup and noodle dishes. The menu items are Malaysian and Indian and I have never had anything I didn't like. We've tried many of the items but my two all-time favorites are the mango chicken and roti telur.

There is street parking and a small, free lot in the back. The prices are moderate and they do have lunch specials during the week with discounted prices. I order my food extra spicy and they will let you order your item according to your preference whether mild, slightly spicy, spicy or super spicy. Also, if you sign up for their mailing list, they will send you a voucher to use during your birthday week. This is one of my favorite restaurants in Minneapolis and the food is amazing!

2  Thank Terri G
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Pros: Tofu Hot pot
Many vegetarian dishes
Great atmosphere
Great tempura Veggies
Good beef sticks

Cons: I have been here 4 times now. And i have seen a trend, one that my friend has seen too when she has been with others. If you are in a Big group you will get good service. If you are just with one person, the service is bad. They pay more attention to the bigger groups, ofcourse bigger bills. I know... but still we are paying too...

So becareful. If they didnt have such a great dish I wouldnt bother going.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Many negative issues about this place but we did finally get a server who helped us with the menu and did his best to satisfy us after an unsatisfying dinner. We started off with the crab leg app. Way too much batter, the crab was ok. I think they used 1000 island dressing for the dipping sauce which was rather surprising for an asian restaurant. Then came the main course. I had the spicy soft shell crab. Waiter confirmed it was spicy, which I wanted. What I got was a greasy, heavy breading which was way too salty, not hot/spicy at all. Wife got the fried flat noodles. This was ok but had a hint of a flavor of being burnt. We talked to the waiter about our meal and we got a free coconut "pudding" which was light, refreshing and actually pretty nice. Will try this place 1 more time for their whole fish dinner...hope it is better next time.