“Broken Parking System” 4 of 5 stars

Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown Hotel
Ranked #32 of 45 Hotels in Minneapolis
“Broken Parking System”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

$11 per night for parking is overpriced for the area, especially since the system doesn't even work. On our last visit the parking was free and we could enter/exit with our room card. Now you have to take a ticket to enter and press the Call for Help button to open the gate. We were pretty confused the first couple times. Even worse, one night the lot was full and we had to drive around the block in an area we didn't know to the overflow parking, walk a couple blocks at night in this area that doesn't feel so safe, tell reception when we were leaving so they could let us out, and they were still going to charge us the $11.

Some of the receptionists have a bit of an attitude like they are bothered to be disturbed. The housekeeping was not thorough.

The rooms are great. Spacious, comfortable, nice style. The area is a ways out of downtown and you probably need a car to see things. The global market nearby is great. Groups of people tend to hang around the transit center at night and be loud, which makes the area feel a bit unsafe, but we didn't think it seemed as dangerous as some of the other reviews made it sound.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Jiajiabinks
Andrew F, General Manager at Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay and than you as well for your comments. We have made improvements to our parking system since your last stay to simplify the process. We do fill up at times and that is when we need to use overflow parking. I do hope you will visit us again soon.

Andrew Finsness

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Cloquet, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

I am a Sheraton regular around the world. I can't honestly say this partiular location was of the high standard Sheraton brand has come to be in my mind. I am not sure if this buidling was originally build as a Sheraton or converted from a Comfort Inn. Now there is nothing wrong with a Comfort Inn, but when I am paying a Sheraton rate, I expect a "Sheraton". While pulling into the hotel parking lot there as a gate, I assumed the parking would be included in my stay after all, this wasn't a parking ramp and any high class neighborhood, but upon check in I am told parking is $11.00. I really felt that was extremely high, again for the condtions, no security, not a ramp and the hotel is NOT in a classy neighborhood. The night manager was as slow as as a one legged snail. I don't know what the heck he was doing, but really slow. Got to my room, very small, again I really thougth I was at another hotel brand, nothing special at this hotel other than paying for the brand. Can't say I would recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars
Dear Nathan 3858,

Thank you for your recent stay and for your comments as well. We do charge $11.00 per night for parking with in and out privileges and a complimentary shuttle and we do have security officers on duty each evening. We do try to keep the pricing reasonable and it is considerably lower than downtown. I do hope that you will try us again,

Deerwood, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 night while visiting our granddaughter at Children's Hospital. The room was comfortable and clean. Just an average size hotel room, but was clean. Bedding was nice and the mattress was comfortable.
The one negative was that they seem to allow dogs in any room, so you do meet several in the halls and we had one right next door to us that barked a lot.
Other than that, it was a nice stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear TamaraJP,

Thank you for your recent stay and thank you as well for your comments. I do agree that the beds are great, it is a Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed. We do allow dogs in the hotel but they should not be barking so I will be sure to alert my staff to that issue.

Thank you again and I hope that you return soon.

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The front desk staff at the Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown greeted me with a gracious welcome. The building is older, but the rooms are spacious and have incorporated several updates. Even though my stay was during the work week, this downtown faciltiy provided a quiet retreat. It is located near local hospitals. The only downside was no shuttle from the airport and a cab ride was quite pricey.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end of the hall to avoid noise. The elevators are in the center of the buildin...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Nancy R
Dear Nancy R,

Thank you for your recent stay and for your kind comments! I will be sure to pass them along to my team, especially the gracious welcome at the Front Desk!

Another option for transportation from the airport is to jump on the Light Rail to the Lake Street exit and we will pick you up on our shuttle, it is only $2.00.

Grand Rapids, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel to stay at if you are going to the Abbott Northwestern Hospital.
The front desk staff is very helpful and friendly. I would definitely stay here again. The rooms were a very nice size, and very comfortable beds.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank diane s
Dear Diane S,

Thank you for your recent stay and thank you as well for your kind comments. I agree that the Front Desk staff is great! The beds are the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper bed and they do get great reviews. I hope you stay again soon.

West Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

I just completed a night's stay at this location. Previously I'd stayed downtown but this location was recommended by a coworker as being closer and easier to get to our office - and it was much more convenient for parking and driving as well as access off I-35.
-First off, there was an issue creating room keys when I checked in. Staff was apologetic and promised to promptly call and deliver my key when ready (both of which they completed as promised), and had security meet me at my door to let me in. I had zero issues with this - thing happen and staff handled well and professionally.
-Restaurant/bar area was small yet met my needs - food and drinks onsite. I ordered food at the bar to go to take back to room and had a beverage while waited. Staff very nice and prompt. Also had breakfast there - reasonable price and again fast service.
-Room was updated with some items appearing worn and ready to refinish or replace (wood table tops as in desk and nightstand, some slightly water-stained lampshades, etc) but on whole room was clean, beds were comfortable and bathroom had all that was needed and price point was great. I like my room cold at night and the AC didn't seem to shut off all night even on auto but it wasn't loud or annoying so happy with that even it my room never did hit 68 degrees - it was warm and humid outside so I get that too.
-Checkout at desk was easy and friendly.
The only thing holding me from a 5 is I reserve that for higher end places if they deliver. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CyFanWDM
Andrew F, General Manager at Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay and thank you as well for your kind comments. I am please that the team responded to your needs and that you enjoyed your stay. Let me know if you return and will share some interesting things do in the neighborhood.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

The hotel is connected to Abbot Northwestern Hospital via the skyway. This made it very easy to go back and forth throughout the day to visit our loved one who was in the ICU. When we didn't feel like walking, we called for the free shuttle. We seldom waited for more than a few minutes. Another great amenity was that we stayed on the club house level because we would have a breakfast buffet and evening snacks. Breakfast was always fresh and enough choices, though no hot foods were offered during our stay. The evening snacks were typically not so good. We stayed for 4 nights and the food choices were almost the same each night. The crackers were stale and the hot food was often empty along with any sauces. All staff that we talked with were pleasant. However, I would like to recognize Tariq, at the front desk, for being exceptional! Our room was clean. The large desk and comfy office chair was appreciated. There were 4 lamps throughout the room, but only one very small light on the wall by the door. I would have preferred at least one more over head light. Also, related to the lighting. The bathroom door has French doors with glass on them (not see through glass). This is very pretty, but not very convenient for more than one person staying in the room. When getting up during the night to use the restroom the light from the bathroom shines out through the glass into the sleeping area and can be a disturbance to a light sleeper. Over-all we had a very nice stay at the Sheraton.

Room Tip: If you want to (or need to) save a little money, spend the little extra for the club level so that y...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
Andrew F, General Manager at Sheraton Minneapolis Midtown Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear Connie J,

Thank you for staying at the Sheraton Midtown and thank you as well for taking the time to review our services. We are fortunate to be so close to Abbott Northwestern and to be able to provide shuttle service. Thank you as well for the hints on our Club level services. I will be sure to address them with our team. I do hope you return soon!

Andrew Finsness,