“Excellent food and service, stylish décor” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Families with children
Neighborhood: Uptown
Minneapolis Mn
“Excellent food and service, stylish décor”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2012

Our group of four visited Tum Rup Thai on a Wednesday evening and got in on the last half hour of Happy Hour. What a bargain, with specials on beer, wine, and appetizers! That was a pleasant beginning to a wonderful meal.
For starters we had crispy, not chewy, calamari with two dipping sauces, vegetarian salad rolls, and Thai Golden Bags, which are tasty little edible pastry bags full of good things to eat. Our main dishes (all of which came with rice) were egg noodle curry with chicken, spicy filet of walleye, Padd Nam Racha with beef, and Bangkok Sea Breeze, a seafood soup. I recommend them all. The waiter was very careful to discuss with us the amount of heat we wanted, and a "3" was fairly spicy (2 dishes) and a "4" was darn spicy (2 dishes). As he said, they can always add more heat, but they can't take it out. None of us tried level 5, which was probably a good thing. By the way, the heavily hopped Furious on tap does a good job of balancing he heat.
The décor is very modern, and the light fixtures are works of art. Everything was clean and new. The date of our visit was November 28, 2012.

• Visited November 2012

Minnesota
“SUCH GREAT FOOD!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

I love Tom Rup Thai. My husband I were regulars until we moved away. I love the glass noodles! We always received great service and over the top food. The portions are huge and make great leftovers! Don't Miss out!!

• Visited October 2011
Manila, Philippines
“Great meal and great experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

We were brought here by friends who frequented the restaurant. It's located in a bustling part of uptown Minneapolis, with ample parking just behind the building. It was a Monday night so it wasn't that crowded, and I noticed that other diners were there for just drinks and talk. The atmosphere was very pleasant, though they kept the lights dim. They kept the room temperature pretty cool too; I noticed this at once when I stepped outside.

Our friends ordered for us, and upon consultations with and recommendations from our server, we had the chicken in green curry, basil fried rice with tofu, shrimp with cashew, and a spicy noodle dish with mock duck. Everything was just delish! It was my first time to try mock duck and I wasn't disappointed. Everything was very flavorful, with just the right amount of spice as per our requests for specific dishes. The shrimp was also well cooked; firm but not overcooked and still succulent. I love curry, and requested for this as my "safe dish", but I ended up eating more of everything else not because the curry wasn't good (it definitely was!), but because the other dishes were surprisingly very good.

In our experience the service is great too; we were properly and promptly greeted when we came in the door, and our server was very patient even when we took awhile to finalize our orders. He gave suggestions at the appropriate times without being intrusive. The food was also served promptly and we didnt have to wait long.

Other nice touches where that they gave us Thai fortune cookies (this is the first Thai place I've been to that does that) after the meal. They tasted nice and sweet, not at all as I expected (I expected the usual taste of a Chinse fortune cookie). And they gave us chocolate mints as we were walking out the door.

Great experience all around. This definitely raises the bar for me as far as Thai restaurants are concerned.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank im0206
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Great food, friendly service but the kitchen backs up a lot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012 via mobile

I am a regular and I'm basically hooked on the Sri Racha Fried Rice. The place is great if you are not in a hurry. The kitchen backs up a lot. If you ask the staff upon entry they will tell you what state they are in. Like I say, pretty close to
top flight food and very reasonable.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Bloomington, Minnesota
“Good Thai Food in Uptown”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2012

We joined friends for Thai food at Tum Rup Thai on Saturday night. Our reservations were for 7:00 p.m. and the place was hopping. We were quickly seated and our beverage orders taken. The waitress was knowledgeable about the menu; especially the different noodle selections and level of spiciness. I ordered the Pad Pak Raumid with Shrimp. The veggies were crisp; I wish I had ordered it at a 2 spiciness as the 1 was a little too mild for me (friends at the table were recommending 1 since I hadn't been there before). The entree did not come with rice or noodles so that was extra. After we received our food, the waitress did not check back to see if we needed beverage refills. When we were all done eating she did stop back to see how we liked our meals. By that time we were done eating so no one ordered another beverage (if the table had ordered more beverages that would have resulted in a larger bill for the restaurant and tip for the waitress.)

The food was good; the service very slow.

• Visited January 2012