“Enjoyable food and margaritas”
Review of Masa - CLOSED

Masa
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 11th & Nicollet
Transit: Nicollet Avenue (1000)
Reviewed April 7, 2014

We had dinner early last Saturday night. We started our evening with excellent margaritas and the house chips. For the our dinner selections, we took our server's recommendations and were not disappointed. We split servings of the Ceviche of the Day which happened to be calamari and shrimp, and the Black Rice with Calamari and Salsa Verde. The black rice dish was the better dish of the two and was delicious. For dinner, my husband had the Carnitas Tacos and I had the Sea Bass. We recommend both of those. I had the Dark Chocolate Bread Pudding for dessert and my husband had the churros; we enjoyed both of those.

The restaurant filled up soon after we arrived and had an energetic atmosphere. Most of our courses came promptly. It took awhile for our dessert to be served, but we had plenty of time before our show so it wasn't an issue. The restaurant's windows front on Nicollet Mall, so it was also fun people watching out the window while sipping our drinks.

We'd definitely go back to this restaurant again.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

I wanted to bring my daughter to Masa since my husband and I have enjoyed it. She is gluten intolerant. I called in advance to ask about gluten free options and they said they had a gluten free menu. However, when we saw the menu, it had a disclaimer that their tortillas and masa were made in a facility that also has wheat, and there was only one entree item that did not have tortillas or masa in them. We also were told different stories from the staff as to whether or not the oil used to fry the tortillas was also used to fry foods with gluten. For someone who is gluten intolerance or celiac, we would not recommend this restaurant, which is odd, since a Mexican restaurant is usually the one place you can count on to be truly gluten free!

Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

My co-worker and I went in because we saw the happy hour sign out front. Great specials, VERY good margaritas, tasty salsa and good tacos. Not to mention the service was perfect!

Reviewed March 24, 2014

With another couple my wife and I enjoyed Masa's Sunday Night date special: three courses and a bottle of wine for $50/couple. With our open-table reservation we were given a nice table by the window. Both couples selected the Flaco Tempranillo (reviewer Stephen Tanzer gave it 91 pts and 88 pts for the 2011 vintage) which was very good. Chips and two salsa's were included and were way above average.
The first course was a choice of a salad, soup or an appetizer; all were judged to be of high quality delicious and a reasonable portion size. Four entree choices including chicken, shrimp, enchiladas or tacos were offered. All were excellent but the shrimp and chicken were the highest ranked. Three desserts were offered: a tres leches cake, churros w/ Oaxacan chocolate or a coconut flan, again all were excellent! Everyone was happy and very full, a great evening. Staff were attentive and helpful.

Reviewed March 8, 2014

excellent food. fusion. very nice location on the south end of nicollet mall, but portions are a little on the small side give the price