“Decent upscale Mexican”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 11th & Nicollet
Transit: Nicollet Avenue (1000)
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I sat at the bar. Atmosphere was nice. I ordered an agave margarita and three tacos for dinner. Margarita was average and the tacos were above average.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

We arrived around 5pm -- ample time to enjoy their 4pm - 6pm weekday happy hour. We settled in at the small, modern bar and quickly decided on a 1/2 price margarita ($5) to start. The bartenders quickly whipped up our tasty (and strong!) beverages and we toasted to sisterhood as we sipped on our margs. We took the next couple of minutes to choose a few different options off the happy hour food menu. We chose to split the Tortilla Chips and Two Salsas ($2), Guacamole Picado ($5), and Amber ordered the Carnitas Taco ($2.50), while I went with the Pescado Taco ($2.50).

You can read the rest of this happy hour review -- with photos -- on the Minneapolites blog here:

Here's the quick rundown for you yelp-only folks:
Upscale, but not pretentious, with a modern vibe.

Our bartender was really friendly and had great recommendations -- he also put up with our incessant laughter -- definitely a plus.

Presentation
The plating of the food had a simple elegance for a early evening happy hour.

Taste
The margaritas were top notch -- next time I want to try the Margarita de Diabolita! The food was tasty and a few apps combined were perfect for a light dinner.

Value for Dollars
Can't complain about $20 after tax and tip for 2 margaritas, 1 taco, and splitting 2 apps. Pretty sweet deal!

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I went to this restaurant to sample their special lunch menu which was three items for $10. I ordered the guacamole, sopa de tortilla, and their pork torta. We were given complimentary chips and two kinds of salsa. The restaurant is rather small and has a contemporary feel. I usually don't mention the chairs but they were uncomfortable. The guacamole with slices of vegetables on the side was average. I could not finish the tortilla soup. The broth had a strong odd taste. I have enjoyed real tortilla soup in Mexico and it was so much better than this soup. It had a few pieces of chicken and pieces of tortilla strips and that was it. I ate half of the torta but it was really spicy with peppers and it overpowered the taste of the pork. I will not be eating here again.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is truly Mexican-Mayan cooking and I love that it is downtown on the Mall. Hip, modern space, lots of staff and good service. Musts are the superb margaritas - Mayan is my favorite. No nasty fake lime mixes here; chips and sauces soooo good.

Our young server knew the menu and offered great descriptions. We were told because we didn't have a reservation (thought 5:00PM on a Sat. night would be no problem), we would have to vacate the table by 7:00. Fair enough, but he did rush us through appetizers, and cleared items away before we we ready. I've dined here before, but my entree of chicken tamale with rice and black beans cooked in a banana leaf is my new obsession. Reminds me of a similar dish in a Mayan restaurant in Cancun. The leftovers were just as good the next day. Can't wait to return. Sunday nights they do a $50 dinner for 2 incl. bottle of wine and entrees, etc.

1  Thank Phoenix663
Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

We loved the margaritas, the food, the ambiance. We sat in the bar area since it was quite busy. Staff were very knowledgeable about the menu.