“Great concert & late rail is your friend.”
Review of The Cabooze

The Cabooze
Ranked #25 of 128 Nightlife in Minneapolis
Reviewed November 6, 2011

My fiancée and I went to see Manchester Orchestra. This was our first time to the venue and took the advice we read online to take the light rail as the station is only steps from the front door. This was probably the best decision as there appeared to be no open parking anywhere that I could see. If you are not familiar with the area my suggestion would be to park downtown which only cost us $5 then ride the light rail. Upon arriving there was a very long line however once doors opened it moved very quickly. The stage setup is somewhat unique as it is on the left side of the venue however I think that more people can see the band as people can wrap all around the stage. The venue was packed and was pretty much wall-to-wall people however still was a great concert and Manchester Orchestra put on an awesome show. Just remember the light rail is a must as parking seems to be non-existent.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

We enjoyed our evening at the Cabooze. The music was fantastic, and the atmosphere is definitely a party time. We met lots of people that were very friendly and there for a good time too. There is a huge outdoor patio that everyone goes out to mingle. Bar Service was great. If you are in Minneapolis, make sure you reserve a night to go to the Cabooze. You wont be disappointed if you are a music lover of the Blues.

Reviewed April 21, 2011

Cool roadhouse bar and one of the original venues which spawned the Minneapolis west bank sound featuring great blues, rock and groovers like the Mighty MoFos, Mango Jam, Tina and the BSides, and more recently Trampled by Turtles and Pert Near Sanstone. Many great bands have held down weekly Wednesday house gigs including the Gooneybirds, white Iron Band and The Big Wu.

Stage is in a weird place but if you wanna go out and enjoy some of the Minneapolis regulars with friends it's pretty fun. The outdoor back bar has argueably the best skyline view of the city.

The Twin Cities Biker (right next door) bar "The Joint" usually has beautiful rows of shiny chromy Harley Davidsons parked out front in the summer. Just don't accidentally tip one over.

1  Thank Jflad
Reviewed August 9, 2009

Now, the headline covers the bad. The good? No smoking, but that's a city regulation. Efficient entry staff and decent security...sorta.
I loved DAUGHTRY playing at the Cabooze, but a lot about the venue took away from the enjoyment. Selling fewer tickets would be a major improvement. No need to always max out the fire marshal limit. Charge a bit more and make sure people have room to move and a good view of the artist. Maybe relocate the stage so large segments aren't behind speaker stacks?
PLEASE, get some effective air conditioning for shows. The heat was literally unbearable. People passing out, even Chris Daughtry mentioned it on Twitter.
The sound was overmodulated. Now, I know that the sound techs are the ultimate people to hold accountable for this, but it appeared that the tour setup was supplemented with a house system. If it's being distorted, it's too loud. I like a rockin' concert like the next guy, but only if it sounds killer!
In the end, I will go see my favorite artists when they play, but I hope they don't play the Cabooze in the future.

1  Thank Keweenaw906