“Engagement Night dinner”

Dining style: Fine Dining
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Engagement Night dinner”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Best meal of my life. Period.

Had our reservation bumped by 30 minutes, but we were notified ahead of time, and offered free champagne in exchange for the time switch. Of course we said yes.

We did the tasting menu and the wine pairings. I can't say enough how good the food was. The pairings were perfect and delicious/unique. We had a beer/cheese course that was crazy cool and delicious. The presentation, the flavor, the service, and the occasion made it easily the best meal i've ever had. Our server knew everything about anything, and made our night special. So much bubbly!! Thanks LBV

Minneapolis, MN
“La vie est belle, à la Belle Vie!”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Let's cut to the chase: 1) James Beard award, 2) three Chef's menu, 3) voted year-after-year best restaurant in town.. so, is La Belle Vie living up to the hype? If you're the kind of gourmet who likes Michelin-starred restaurant, then the answer is a resounding yes (each plate is meticulously prepared with a combination of nouvelle cuisine, artful presentation, and premium ingredients). If you want to have a romantic dinner or a formal business dinner and enjoy a somewhat formal atmosphere, the answer is yes again. And if you don't mind spending over a hundred (closer to two if you go all the way) dollars per person, then LBV is your special occasion restaurant. Otherwise, try something else, like the Butcher and the Boar.
PS: for a taste, try the bar and its appetizers. Especially if you like excellent cocktails.

• Visited February 2013
Hudson, Wisconsin
“Fine dining, at it's finest!”
Reviewed February 11, 2013

My wife and I visited La Belle Vie for an early Valentines day dinner and we really enjoyed ourselves. To begin with, the place is quite large, with seperate eating room. We really liked the layout because the different rooms allowed for a more quiet/intimate conversation to be had, instead of talking over the hustle/bussle of the bar. The table spacing was huge, the tables are not close to each other so you actually have a sense of privacy in discussion while you're eating, very well done. The staff are impecably trained and on top of everything; our server was exceptional; an older gentlemen, he wasnt stuffy or stuck-up because he worked at such a nice place, but he was very caring/genuine and overly-concerned about our visit.....A+++

The food was also exceptional. For any reviewers who rate this place low because the portions are smaller, or because the food is expensive, you really need to re-examine where you chose to dine. This place is known for high dollar food because of the skills of the chef's and the high-quality of the experience, its second to few, if none. I had the aged beef and the flavor is simply amazing....literally struggle to think of a better flavored steak...I do wish there was more of it, but totally realize again why there's not. My wife had a shellfish bisque which she was in love with, and what appeared to be a small lobster tail.....she was in heaven.

The wine was outstanding, the ambiance and food were outstanding, the workers from the server, to the coat check person, to the greeter, to the valet kids.....all outstanding and well trained. A+ overall for sure.

• Visited February 2013
Edina MN
“elegant dining”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

this place has James Beard chef, and excels year after year. do the tasting menu. each plate will demand conversation. it's definitely high end, but this food makes you want to dress up

Visited March 2012
St. Paul, Mn
“This is THE special occasion restaurant in the Twin Cities”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Twice a year, once for my birthday and once for our anniversary, we visit La Belle Vie.

For a true adventure, the 5 course chef's tasting menu paired with wine is the way to go. There is a 7 course tasting menu, but we don't have the stamina for it.

The menu changes often based on fresh ingredients available. Each dish served is delicious, I find myself saying "that was the best course", then after I'm served the next course, I proclaim, "now, that was the best course." The truth is, everything they create in their kitchen is beautiful, delicious and almost magical.

I've ordered a la carte, but I find the dinner portions too large for my appetite, the tasting is more balanced.

The restaurant is located on the main floor of a historic condominium. The decor blends the old world with the new. The atmosphere is elegant, welcoming and quiet. The service is at an elevated level you would expect for fine dining.

If you want to experience La Belle Vie without spending so much, try the bar. The small plates will give you an idea of what to expect in the main dining room.

• Visited April 2012