“Hidden dining delight”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stumbled on the Longfellow Grill while driving along the River Road in Minnepolis. Tucked away in a dark corner it didn't look like much on the outside but inside was a vibrant, humg niche of dining goodness being enjoyed by boomer couples & young families alike. The outdoor patio also beckoned but the autumn chill October day dissuaded us. The menu was ecclectic with all sorts of enticing entrees, many with a Southwest flair. I honestly forgot our selections but our palates were definitely pleased. Go for a cup of the Bean & Bacon soup, you won't regret it. There was also a great selection of brews. Only downside is that it was quite busy and a fairly noisy the late Sat morning we were there. Highly recommended!

Reviewed August 5, 2012

I have been to Longfellow several times in the past year, and it's always a fun place to be, especially when my boyfriend and I sit at the bar. The bartenders are friendly and knowledgable. I've always enjoyed whatever drink they recommend. The food is good, too. The gorgonzola chips are tasty, as are the pierogies and tempura green beans as appetizers. I've also enjoyed the meatloaf and Mac and cheese. Yummy urban diner fare! The service has always been consistent and competent when I've visited. I plan to keep going back!

Reviewed June 8, 2012

Enjoyed the food and the variety at the Grill. The fish tacos were fresh with unusual sauce. My other companions agreed it was a good place to eat.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

consistantly very good quality food - nicely seasoned
We recommend the fish tacos, pulled pork sandwich,and whatever is on the daily special although everything we have tried has been delicious. There are many beers on tap and a nice selection of wines. They do not take reservations but you can call 15 minutes ahead and have your name put on the list.

Reviewed May 22, 2012

My family was celebrating my sister's graduation, and a group of eight of us ate dinner at the Longfellow Grill. Most of the food was excellent, though a few of the appetizers were on the greasy side. My entree choice--the chicken roulade--with mashed potatoes, asparagus, and one other veggie was delicious. The mashed potatoes were absolutely great this time, much better than in the past. Also, the chicken roulade was fantastic.

The sweet potato fries were okay to good.

Additionally, the sea breeze drink that I ordered was strong and delicious.

I can't speak for the food that my other family members ate, but I can say that they seemed to enjoy their entrees and drinks.

The downsides to the restaurant, as always, are the wait time for a table, especially for an outdoor table, and the service. We couldn't get an outdoor table, because the restaurant staff claimed, yes, claimed, that the wait would be 2 hours or more.

Our server was mostly unavailable for drink refills, with the exception of her paying attention to whether I needed another alcoholic drink. She provided zero refills of soda or water during the entire 1.5 meal, until we complained to another server. We would understand if she were actually busy, but by the time our meal was finished, she had only two tables. Our table--a large one--and a small table with just a couple who were dining. Therefore, we simply could not understand why she was standing at the bar and talking to the bartender the whole time, ignoring her largest table of the evening.

Overall, my entree was great, but the slow service made the evening a little frustrating.