“Does Not Meet Modern Needs”
Review of State Theatre

State Theatre
Ranked #43 of 211 things to do in Minneapolis
Burnsville, Minnesota
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 153 helpful votes
“Does Not Meet Modern Needs”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

I can understand the dilemma for the owners of State Theatre. On the one hand it is historic, the architecture, the artwork, the whole look and feel is very 1921, the year it was built.

According to Wikipedia it was at one time state of the art. It used to have a glass stage to allow amazing lighting effects, and the original air conditioning system was highly advanced for its time.

Sadly, today it does not meet the needs of the modern audience. The air conditioning isn't that great. The show I went to see the sound system was too quiet and too treble which is annoying if you are going to see a stand up comedian. Although I think that was more incompetent calibration than the quality of the system.

I was sitting fairly near the front, and the seats were ridiculously cramped. And no I am not the kind of person who needs a seatbelt extension on the plane.

From my perspective the enjoyment of seeing the early last century charm of this venue is spoiled when I am sitting in an uncomfortable seat far too close to the seats around me.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank ZCT808

Minneapolis, Minnesota
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Fun Theatre”
Reviewed May 29, 2014

This is a great place to see either a show or concert. I mainly attend concerts here, and they have all sounded great. The acoustics are good, and the views are good from almost anywhere.

Visited July 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
137 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 109 helpful votes
“Beautiful Theater”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

A grand theater with great old fashioned style. This a great place to see any production. I don't think there is a bad seat in this house. A cultural treat. If you have't seen a show here you are missing out.

Visited December 2013
Rochester MN
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Great venue!”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

This theatre is drop dead gorgeous on the inside. The plays and entertainers I have seen here are very comparable to New York. Parking is easy and there are several great restaurants nearby.

Visited July 2013
Eagan, Minnesota
73 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Perfect location for Alton Live”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

As the title says, we went to see Alton Brown's Live Show. I could spend a lot of time raving about the show, but I'll focus on the location.

I love the quaint historic decor of this place. Ornate painting, high ceilings and atmosphere that suits almost anything. We've been to Joseph, Phantom and many other venues here. Haven't found a bad seat yet.

Visited February 2014