“I really don't see what others are raving about”

Bell Museum of Natural History
Ranked #77 of 227 things to do in Minneapolis
Reviewed July 8, 2013

$6 (Summer 2013) for some stuffed (taxidermied) animals in dioramas, plus $3 for parking per hour. Every natural history museum I've been to (visited all 50 states in my life), has more than one thing to offer. Very small. I guess if you like this sort of thing, go for it...personally I wished I had passed it right up.

1  Thank JillT13

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Worth a visit. It was nice to see the animals that are indigenous to Minnesota. The dioramas were great. Even better its free on Sunday's. there is a nice planetarium in the lower level of the museum, definitely worth a visit.

2  Thank MrsArnold266
Reviewed March 12, 2013

On the campus of the U of MN, this older museum was great. My daughter had screams of joy and discovery looking at the dioramas and running from one to another. Fun to play “I spy” looking at the stuffed animals in a native looking setting. The room where you can touch bones, snake skins, antlers and hundreds of other animal parts was incredible for my 3 year old. She tired herself out after about an hour and we left with one of the best museum experiences one could have. As a Hawkeye fan, I do have to chuckle at their mascot and this “Goldy” character is a rodent which becomes very evident with the multiple stuffed animals of him in the museum. Luckily they have some Hawks, Eagles, Bears and other animals that are at the top of the food chain. You need to go.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

This modest museum on the campus of the University of Minnesota isn't that well know, but definitely worth a visit if you've any interest in such things. It's on the small side compared to many better-known natural history museums, but it's big enough to occupy a middle-aged couple for a few hours, so how big does it need to be?

The focus is appropriately on animals native to Minnesota. I was impressed with both the exhibits and the dioramas.

There's a special room at the back that will likely be the highlight for the young or young at heart because you get to touch the exhibits, including some that are alive.

On the Sunday we visited there was no admission; we donated more than the regular admission anyway and still felt we got a bargain.

The closest parking we found was a little bit down the street in a ramp, but considering all the walking I did inside, it was a relatively short stroll back to the car.

Reviewed June 19, 2012

This museum is so interesting. The dioramas are very well done. Our very favorite part I think is supposed to be for children. This is the area of touch. The docent in the area was a very personable young man who encouranged us to hold any of the live animals in the displays. My grandson chose a Madagasgar Hissing Cockroach! It ran up his arm and around his hand. He loved it. Our friendly guide then showed us the display of cave cockroaches that look like something out of a horror movie when they appear in droves from their home in the peat. There are also a couple of snakes and other animals that you won't find in a typical petting zoo. One good tip for this museum, it's free on Sundays! Bring your kids of all ages. Our grandson is 18 years old and enjoyed it very much.